Low Fuel Warning Indicator - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2007.5 + (GMT 900) Non Powertrain--New Body Style-- Discussion 07.5 - 2010 Topics Not related to the Powertrain, interior, suspensions, body, wheels, tires, ect.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2010, 11:41 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Low Fuel Warning Indicator

I have a 2008 Silverado Duramax. It has the short bed so the fuel tank is the 26 gallon version. When I first got the truck, the gauge would read empty and the low fuel warning would display after using appx. 19 - 20 gallons of fuel. That has gradually lowered to the point where it now reads empty and the warning message appears after using appx. 16 gallons of fuel. It's more of an irritant than anything. In other words, it's not something I want to spend a pile of money getting corrected. Is there any kind of a quick fix or re-calibration that can be done without having to drop the tank in order to replace the sending unit?

LEVANS
LEVANS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2010, 11:54 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
Banned

subscribe..... My fuel gauge has a fricken mind of it's own. If I start truck with remote, the gauge always goes to empty and fuel warnings come on. It also does the same thing if it idles for more than 10 mins, but after going to empty it comes back to level real slow. I just use the dic fuel burn to determine level.
smokinlmm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2010, 03:19 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

I get a low fuel light at about 20 gal in the tank. It has always been like that.

I also use the odometer and refuel every 800 to 900 miles.

I am running a stock 26 gal tank w/a 50 Gal Transfer Flow in the bed.

I believe that the fuel light is just a reminder, just like the gauge is. Figure out the fuel burn and just let all the gimmicks offer advise. I also only run on the top half of the fuel when running around town.

Joe

08 GMC 2500HD SLT EC SB 4WD

08DMAX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2010, 03:23 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
I'm That Guy...

Running out of diesel in these trucks is a bigger deal then running out of gas in your Civic. For that reason they give you a light with 6 gallons in the tank from the factory. That is normal.

As for the other issue, someone with more knowledge will chime in shortly.

CLICK TO READ: FORUM RULES OR DF STAFF!

Thank you Rob Coddens (Idaho Rob), Dustin @ ATP, Scott @ SDP, Kory Willis, and Mike L. for all of your help!

05 LLY CCSB 4wd - Mods coming (Truck Love from ATP Trucks and Copperhead Diesel expected soon)
SOLD: 05 LLY, 05 LLY, 09 LMM, 02 LB7

Build Threads : 2005 Chevy Silverado | 1978 Ford Bronco (Sister Site)
TDFDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2010, 03:42 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
Banned

its an 08... Bring it to the dealershit to be checked out.
2009RavenR1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2011, 07:07 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

so after burning 19.5 gallons, it showed a range of approximately 30 miles remaining and the guage was getting pretty close to empty...

I still have 6 gallons left??

I thought it was a 26 gallon tank but decided to be safe and top off...
aFe Airbox, lights all on mod
MBRP 4" ss downpipe back
MBRP downpipe on backorder
Transgo Jr in garage
Planenut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2011, 07:32 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

my 08 does the same thing. At about 20 to 21 gallons she shows empty, and the warning comes on
Retired Fire Captain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2011, 07:37 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planenut View Post
so after burning 19.5 gallons, it showed a range of approximately 30 miles remaining and the guage was getting pretty close to empty...

I still have 6 gallons left??

I thought it was a 26 gallon tank but decided to be safe and top off...
Oh and the low level warning did not come on yet.. I guess it works...
aFe Airbox, lights all on mod
MBRP 4" ss downpipe back
MBRP downpipe on backorder
Transgo Jr in garage
Planenut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2011, 07:38 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

My LML will use 32 of 36 galls and then "low" light comes on. Seems to be pretty accurate so far but I have yet to run out and "test" it's accuracy...

The priming method (if ran out of fuel) in manual seems pretty simple. Is that true or is there a headache procedure needed? I ran out in my ford diesel van once and it was no big deal. Just took a few miles of rough running until it was fine again.
mxpop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2011, 08:56 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
I'm That Guy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxpop View Post
My LML will use 32 of 36 galls and then "low" light comes on. Seems to be pretty accurate so far but I have yet to run out and "test" it's accuracy...

The priming method (if ran out of fuel) in manual seems pretty simple. Is that true or is there a headache procedure needed? I ran out in my ford diesel van once and it was no big deal. Just took a few miles of rough running until it was fine again.
If you run out in a civic you can pour fuel in the tank and try to start it. Eventually it'll crank and start.

A diesel requires more cranking amps to turn it over and you have to prime the fuel where you don't need to in a Civic.

CLICK TO READ: FORUM RULES OR DF STAFF!

Thank you Rob Coddens (Idaho Rob), Dustin @ ATP, Scott @ SDP, Kory Willis, and Mike L. for all of your help!

05 LLY CCSB 4wd - Mods coming (Truck Love from ATP Trucks and Copperhead Diesel expected soon)
SOLD: 05 LLY, 05 LLY, 09 LMM, 02 LB7

Build Threads : 2005 Chevy Silverado | 1978 Ford Bronco (Sister Site)
TDFDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.