Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

2016 Factory 5th Wheel Hitch Prep

126K views 157 replies 41 participants last post by  apamato 
#1 ·
Has anyonybody actually seen or own a 2016 with the factory fifth wheel hitch prep? I have read about it and searched dealer offerings and haven't seen it yet. I'm wondering if it just hasn't hit production yet? I still can't believe GM is so far behind in this area compared to the others. If somebody does have it, can they post a pic?

#2 ·
X2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: chevor
#3 ·
It's appears to be a brand new ( week Feb 22 ) option code addition to the order guide. There may not be any in customer hands yet.

Don't know if it helps, but this is the guide description:

Z6A NEW! Gooseneck / 5th Wheel Prep Package -- Hitch platform to accept Gooseneck or Fifth wheel hitch. Includes Hitch platform with tray to accept ball and drilled box holes with caps installed, box mounted 7-pin trailer harness (similar to (UY2) harness).
1 - Requires model T*25**3, (Z82) trailering equipment, (CGN) spray-on bedliner and trailering mirrors (DF2), (DPN) or (DQS) . Not available with (UY2) Trailering wiring provisions, (LC8) 6.0L V8 SFI Gaseous engine, (ZW9) pickup box delete, (9J4) rear bumper delete, (VBR) rubber bed mat, LPO, (VZX) bed liner, LPO, (VUK) tailgate liner, LPO, (PDH) Interior Protection Package, (VBN) bed rug, LPO or any ship thru code.

#4 ·
So anybody got a picture of this yet? Ordered it with my new truck but am interested to see what it looks like before it shows up.

#8 ·
it says right in the specs it works with Curt hitch/ball ect, I am thinking your guy does not have full knowledge of it yet, lets see Beeg's pictures ?

#9 ·
The 2016 GMC Sierra HD is now being offered with a gooseneck/fifth-wheel trailering prep package right from the factory.
The $350 option features a frame-mounted hitch platform and tray that accommodates a gooseneck ball hitch or fifth-wheel hitch mounting brackets. The platform is concealed beneath the truck’s bed floor and, when the hitch isn’t needed, it can be removed for full use of the bed’s cargo capacity. GMC includes caps for the openings in the floor as well as a bed-mounted seven-way trailer wiring connection.
GMC is also introducing a new gooseneck completion kit. Available as a $315 accessory from GMC dealers, the kit features a 2-5/16-inch ball hitch and two chain tie-downs.
GMC dealers also offer fifth-wheel hitches from CURT Manufacturing that are compatible with the factory-installed hitch platform. They are available in 20,000-pound and 25,000-pound versions for $939 and $999, respectively (not including tax, installation and labor charges).
The 2016 Sierra HDs’ fifth-wheel trailering ratings are aligned with SAE J2807 standards and have the following maximum capacities:
2500HD trailering rating of 18,000 pounds (8,165 kg)
3500HD single-rear-wheel trailering rating of 17,500 pounds (7,938 kg)
3500HD dual-rear-wheel trailering rating of 23,200 pounds (10,523 kg)
The GM Authority Take
This is a very welcome addition to what is already a stellar pickup truck. We should note that the Chevrolet Silverado HD is also getting the same treatment.
Ordering Details
Gooseneck/5th wheel prep package — hitch platform to accept Gooseneck or Fifth wheel hitch, includes:
Hitch platform with tray to accept ball and drilled box holes with caps installed
Box mounted 7-pin trailer harness (similar to UY2 harness)
GM free-flow RPO Code: Z6A
Available on:
All Sierra HD models, including the Sierra 2500HD, 3500HD and 3500HD CC
All Sierra HD trim levels, including: Sierra HD (base), SLE, SLT and Denali
Requires:
Model T*25**3
Trailering equipment (Z82)
Spray-on bedliner (CGN)
Trailering mirrors (DF2, DPN or DQS)
Not available with:
Trailering wiring provisions (UY2)
6.0L V8 SFI Gaseous engine (LC8)
Pickup box delete (ZW9)
Rear bumper delete (9J4)
Rubber bed mat (VBR) LPO
Bed liner (VZX) LPO
Tailgate liner (VUK) LPO
Interior Protection Package (PDH)
Bed rug (VBN) LPO
Any ship thru code
Hitch Package — gooseneck ball and chain tie-down kit with case:
GM free-flow RPO Code: SNO (LPO product)
Requires Gooseneck / 5th Wheel Prep Package (Z6A)
Not available with rubber bed mat (VBR) LPO or bed liner (VZX) LPO

Read more: 2016 GMC Sierra HD Offers 5th Wheel Prep | GM Authority

#16 ·
2500HD trailering rating of 18,000 pounds (8,165 kg)
3500HD single-rear-wheel trailering rating of 17,500 pounds (7,938 kg)
This part makes no sense to me... can anyone explain? Why would a 3/4 ton have more towing capacity that a 1 ton with the same rear wheel config?...

#10 ·
Great looking forward to pics

#15 ·
Thanks. I fixed the pic for you.

Reactions: Woonie and goobs
#28 ·
I had the B&W Companion in my 2013 2500HD. When I got this truck, I kept the head from the Companion Hitch and used it on the base of the RVK 3700 in the picture. The base of the new hitch is noticeably lighter than the Companion base, which is nice when removing/installing it. The new hitch drops into the pucks and you turn the handles to lock it in place. You can use the pins provided to keep the locking handles from turning, or use a padlock to keep it secured a little better. Other than that, not really any different than the Companion. I do like the B&W Gooseneck better than the factory hitch because of being able to turn the ball over to store it.

Rich

#34 ·
any underbed pics?
is this something bolted on, on the assembly line or and actual integral part of the frame?

#36 ·
@Rich1961 if you dont mind, would it be possible to look and see if there is a barcode sticker or anything that would help in ordering these pieces. if not its cool, ill just keep picking the parts guy's brain.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.