Vibrations over 70 MPH - Page 87 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2011+ LML Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 06:36 AM   eBay Motors  #861 (permalink)

I saw this earlier in the thread and was wondering what exactly these numbers mean and if anyone can expand on the tolerances any better. I'm going by the dealer again soon and I want to be as educated about this as possible. Thanks,

Quote:
I'm new to the post and couldn't resist providing another data point. After leaving the dealership on 9/18/12 in a new 2012 2500 HD Duramax extended cab running 265 70 20 Goodyear tires I noticed a significant shake at 72mph through 76mph. I turned around and headed back to the dealer. They said the tires needed to be rebalanced using their road force machine. They rebalance the tires and the shake was better but still there. They then called the local GM Rep and he said the magic number needed to be below "23". They ordered 8 new tires and balanced them with values of 8, 11, 11, and 18. They continued by taking it on the road for 30 min to heat up the tires. Upon returing, the rebalanced and found one tire at 26. They put another tire on and went through the same sequence and got it down to 16. The shaking at 75mph is gone"
H&S XRT Pro w/ Edge Insight CTS and EGT | 4" MBRP T409 Stainless Downpipe Back | Diamond Eye Downpipe | DRP Intercooler Pipe | aFe Stage 2 CAI- dry | Duramax Billet Resonator Delete | Roll-n-Lock | Debadged
PaperChaser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 11:45 PM   eBay Motors  #862 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

I'm also experiencing this issue. 2013 2500HD LT Crew 4x4 17inch tires , 4 weeks old 3400miles.

The shake/shim for me starts at 60+. My truck also pulls to the right. The shake is light in the steering wheel but very noticeably throughout the entire truck. The front passenger seat shakes badly, even the side mirrors. It's like driving a small earthquake. Ugh!

I took my truck into the dealership , they worked on it for 2 days straight. I made them replace my right front tire because the outside sidewall had tons of 1/2 inch small cracks in the middle of the sidewall. After two days , they rebalanced the tires, replaced my front right tire and did an alignment. They want me to bring my truck back because it still pulls to the right. Sadly , they said they don't know what the problem is and need more time. That was the day before Thanksgiving.

I choose to live with it because I need my truck. When I can live without my truck again I will bring it back and take the above information from the poster before me mentioned. Other than this issue it's a dream.

I expect a 7k lbs truck to drive smooth due to the weight. I will not stand for this in my 2500 4x4 Dream Truck I just purchased for 53k!

I will post back with results once I take it in again.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

2013 Chevy 2500HD LT 6.6L DMAX 4X4
SILVER EXT/BLACK INT, CREW CAB -SHORT BED (Daily Driver)
DMAXHAPPY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 03:42 AM   eBay Motors  #863 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENALI HD3500 View Post
Sucks to be you guys with a vibration. So from all this reading , the tires are at fault. So GM is off the hook, tires are never warrantied by the vehicle company, the tire company is responsible for tire warranty of any kind...yep, its in the warranty supplement. For you all thinking its a GM frame problem, i disagree, have been thru several sets of tires over the last 156,000 miles. Yesterday i put on a new set in a hurry and didn/t have time to balance the 2 rear tires (will do it this weekend). Anyway this morning , going into town at between 60 to 75 miles an hour and still no vibration in my truck. Never had a vibration with the stock Michelin tires , BFG AT2, or the last 2 sets of Toyo AT's. And my tire balancer is an old FMC (25 years old). As far as the tires that are causeing the vibration, they should be warrantied by the tire manufacturer , not GM. Has been this way for years. There are way too many trucks without a vibe for it to be the frame stiffness. I do a lot of travelling, and time in campgrounds, never had anyone with a 2011 up GM HD tell me they had a vibration. Most are just exstatic about what a great truck it is. Of the customers who frequent my shop for service with their vehicles , not one LML owner has had any vibration complaints. I have spoken to litterally over 100 LML owners who have zero complaints with the truck. There are what , maybe 50 or so posters here that have a vibration, out of over 100,000 trucks that is hardly all LML trucks have a vibration. Not trying to downplay anyones issue that has a vibration, get a good set of rubber and carry on, have the tires warrantied thru tire company... there will be a pamphlet that came with your truck regarding tire manufacturer for the tire that came on your truck.( When i sell one of my customers a tire that causes a vibration,wobble,tread seperation ect, the tire manufacturer warranties the tires, not me, why should i , i never made the tires.) . If it turns out to be just the wheels, then GM has to pay. I am glad to have a great dealership that , is more than willing to make me happy, rectify any problems under warranty for free( course my warranty, due to mileage is long over now)
This post needs to be put at the top of every new thread complaining about badly vibrating LML's
For years I have hated GOODYEAR Wrangler tires, and the SAME DAY I took delivery of my truck, I took it to my TIRE DEALER (this is a separate guy people, this is not the car/truck dealership) and had the Wranglers donated someplace.

My Build Thread

Honestly, you just take a deep breath and say Fuck it.

Last edited by WCSting; 12-13-2012 at 03:48 AM.
WCSting is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 02:09 PM   eBay Motors  #864 (permalink)

There seams to be an issue with the factory tires, I had the same problem and I put on some Toyo tires, et voila, vibe gone.
Alberta Dmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 02:27 PM   eBay Motors  #865 (permalink)

It took 3 new sets of Michelens and a GM field engineer to balance them until my vibe went away. Took one year and about 8 dealer visits as well. 5k miles and still riding smooth. Can't wait to see what I will need to go through when I need new tires.
2012 3500HD gasser 6.0, LTZ, 4x4, Z71, Crew, 4:10's
therink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 04:34 PM   eBay Motors  #866 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by therink View Post
It took 3 new sets of Michelens and a GM field engineer to balance them until my vibe went away. Took one year and about 8 dealer visits as well. 5k miles and still riding smooth. Can't wait to see what I will need to go through when I need new tires.
I dont think you will have a problem, I think the problem is with the factory supplied tires.
Alberta Dmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 05:03 PM   eBay Motors  #867 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

This thread should be closed because I think the subject has been exhausted and the culprit identified. Nothing is intrinsically wrong with the trucks, its is the tires, and in some instances the method of balancing.

My Build Thread

Honestly, you just take a deep breath and say Fuck it.
WCSting is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 06:22 PM   eBay Motors  #868 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCSting View Post
This thread should be closed because I think the subject has been exhausted and the culprit identified. Nothing is intrinsically wrong with the trucks, its is the tires, and in some instances the method of balancing.

I agree!

Our Photos
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 07:16 PM   eBay Motors  #869 (permalink)

But has the thread set a record yet????
Old 12-13-2012, 10:25 PM   eBay Motors  #870 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimandsue60 View Post
I agree!
x11034384843049554459495324234211111
MaxPayne.357 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.