DEF problems NEED HELP! - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2011+ LML Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2012, 03:03 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

DEF problems NEED HELP!

ok so i have been researching and researching but im really confused cause my case seems different than everyone elses. I have had my truck for about a month now and i have put 4000 miles on it and today the " Service Exhaust Fluid System" popped up and so i figured it needed some DEF i bought 5 gallons and put about 3 in and it never turned off and about 75 miles later now it says i its limiting my speed to 55 mph and it never showed any warnings that it was low on fluid or my range i had left so im very confused. it also threw a p2033 code the same time as the rest and i keep using my mini maxx to reset it but 15 miles and its back on again. Im new to this emissions stuff cause my last lbz didnt have any of this. one more thing i never noticed in the 4000 miles i drove it i never recalled it doing a regen i dont know if its suppose to tell you or im just suppose to know but i never noticed anything different and i did extended drives (5-6 hours at a time) so i would think it would have done a regen. Im taking it to the dealership on monday to have them look at it but im nervous cause everyone i have ever been too is about as helpless as it gets.

SOLD 2011 Chevy 2500HD LML 4x4
H&S Mini Maxx, 6" pro comp lift, 35" toyo MTs, 20" BMF novakanes
SOLD: 2007 Chevy 2500HD LBZ 4x4
AFE CAI l Quadzilla S2 l Fabtech 6" lift l 35" toyo MT's l 20" XD Diesels l AMP Research Steps l[/CENTER]
Duramax D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2012, 03:15 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

I think the "service system" warning is more associated with bad fluid than low level.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:20 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

'Service exhaust fluid system' does not mean it needs def, it means it has detected a problem with the system. (and needs to be looked with a computer/programmer) . Your truck does not think it is low on de, and if it was full when you got it 4000 miles ago you probably can run several thousand more before adding any. This why no range warnings were given.

The truck does NOT tell you when it is in regen unless it has tried to regen several times without success, and then it will give you the 'keep driving' message.

Unless you have modified the programming, your truck will have done several regens in the 4000 miles (likely 6-8).

If it regens when you are doing an extended drive it is even less likely that it would be noticed.
redwngr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2012, 04:11 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

If you've got the H&S Mini Max on it you may as well do the delete kit. I would think your warranty is history anyway, but you may get lucky.
LaQuicksilver12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2012, 08:05 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

there is known problems on the 11 def system
take off your programmer and maybe the dealer wont check your ecm for the programmer traces and turn on and off the key many many times after you change programs ... they look at the key count
8.5 western pro plow, cci grill and mirror covers
skidoochris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2012, 08:29 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

DO THE Delete! I run a truck shop and almost all of our problems with the newer trucks are with egr, dpf and def systems and they are usually pricy to fix without warranty. We now order all our new trucks with extended warranty on all emmision systems and when they are up the truck is gone. It is just so hard to make money on some of this new stuff!
Light mod (it all turns on with one switch lol )
Cat filter adaptor
Soon to be installed Webasto
999D-MAX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2012, 08:40 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

What tune are you running with the mini maxx, you might be clogging up the dpf and because of it doing it so fast maybe that's causing problems?

Not sure just spitballing ideas
EFI LIVE with locking dsp5 switch tuned by Kory Willis
Edge CTS Insight with pyrometer, MBRP SS Turbo Back 4" exhaust no muffler w/ 5" tip, EGR Block Plate
Transgo Jr, PCV Reroute, Resonator Plugged
joshmundy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2012, 09:02 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

alright so i have been researching some more and im pretty sure its a bad egt sensor in the exhaust thats causing all the problems cause i switched between all my pyro gauges and one of the stock ones that came on it reads 1832 and doesnt go up or down at all and the p2033 code its throwing is an egt sensor thats reading high so hopefully once i replace the sensor this will all be fine again. and i am doing a full delete but i have been having issues with shipping getting my exhaust so hopefully it will get here on monday and i can just slap it on and get rid of this emissions BS.

SOLD 2011 Chevy 2500HD LML 4x4
H&S Mini Maxx, 6" pro comp lift, 35" toyo MTs, 20" BMF novakanes
SOLD: 2007 Chevy 2500HD LBZ 4x4
AFE CAI l Quadzilla S2 l Fabtech 6" lift l 35" toyo MT's l 20" XD Diesels l AMP Research Steps l[/CENTER]
Duramax D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2012, 08:06 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

Light mod (it all turns on with one switch lol )
Cat filter adaptor
Soon to be installed Webasto
999D-MAX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2012, 11:45 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramax D View Post
alright so i have been researching some more and im pretty sure its a bad egt sensor in the exhaust thats causing all the problems cause i switched between all my pyro gauges and one of the stock ones that came on it reads 1832 and doesnt go up or down at all and the p2033 code its throwing is an egt sensor thats reading high so hopefully once i replace the sensor this will all be fine again. and i am doing a full delete but i have been having issues with shipping getting my exhaust so hopefully it will get here on monday and i can just slap it on and get rid of this emissions BS.
Might just be a disconnected or broken wire -- check before replacing the sensor.
redwngr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.