New Mag Hi-Tech Rear Cover Question - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2011+ LML Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2012, 04:59 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

New Mag Hi-Tech Rear Cover Question

I just got my new rear diff cover in. I was reading the directions to see how much fluid is needed. It said that if the truck has a limited slip, then I would need to add a additive to the oil. My question is, do we have a limited slip on the rear diff? I am getting ready to order some Amsoil 75w90 synthetic oil and need to know if I also need to get this additive?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2012, 10:01 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

Absolutely you have a limited slip diff! It comes pretty standard with the tow package/4x4
2011 LML- H&S Motorsports CP3 over CP4 kit w/tunes from Kory Willis , 17x9 XD Misfits, 285-70-17 Cooper AT's, Spray on, tool box/50 Gallon Auxillary, tint all around, Ride Rite bags, Ride rite compressor system,H&S Mini Max, Cobalt Pyro, ready lift keys, 5" MBRP straight piped, Rare Part Tie rods, Cognito UCA's, Bilstein 5100's, Fass Titanium 150, ADP downpipe, EGR delete from ADP and Proflow up pipes and manifolds.

To be installed: Built Tranny from Calvins and custom compounds.

Gotta love being a Directional Driller.
LMLFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2012, 07:09 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

Will I still need to add the additive if I use a full synthetic oil? I am going to use Amsoil full synthetic.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:17 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

No additive needed in a G80 "Limited Slip" axle. Straight gear lube in the Duramax.

The additive is only required when you have clutches in the rear axle--
Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, de-badged, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.--- Jerry
jc1843 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2012, 10:19 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

I called GM a month back and they said Synthetic 75w90 no additives. I installed PPE covers. Rear held a total of 5bottles and front was 2.5 bottles. When i changed the front their was the nastiest milk that came out and the truck has only 3200 miles on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

2006 LBZ Grey CC Dually. 87k. BullyDog Exhaust. Banks Six Gun w/ IQ. Gutted Stock airbox. 24k Reese 5th Wheel Hitch.
BCALBZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2012, 10:24 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
Confidence Antler

No additive needed as stated before. These trucks come with a locker, not a posi style limited slip.
505/992

-Erik
RitzBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2012, 05:51 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Thanks everyone. I ordered my oil and waiting for it to get here.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:54 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz3069 View Post
Thanks everyone. I ordered my oil and waiting for it to get here.
Glad to hear your running amsoil. I am a dealer, if you have any questions or need anything please let me know.

I just installed my aFe diff cover and didn't use an additive. It's working great.
2012 Chevy 2500HD Black CCSB Z71 Appearance Pkg[LIST][*]Congito 4-6" NTBD Lift - Fox 2.0 Resi Shocks[*]Cognito Uni-Ball UCAs & Pitman Idler Support Kit[*]Cogntio Sway Bar w/ HD End Links[*]Congito NCT Traction Bars[*]35" Nitto Trail Grapplers on 20" BMF R.E.P.R Wheels[*]H&S Mini Maxx - aFe 5" Straight Pipe[*]Rigid Ind LED - 50" & 20" E-Series, (4) Duallys, HIDs[*]AMP Running Boards - Titan 57gal Fuel Tank[*]aFe Transmission and Differential Covers
dirtymaxx12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2012, 04:45 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymaxx12 View Post
Glad to hear your running amsoil. I am a dealer, if you have any questions or need anything please let me know.

I just installed my aFe diff cover and didn't use an additive. It's working great.
That's good to know. I was really worried that i needed to add the additive to the oil. can hardly wait to get it on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.