long idling time, okay? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2011+ LML Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2012, 09:26 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Question long idling time, okay?

We picked up a 2012 6.6L and were told conflict stories regarding over night/long time period idling.

We try to go on longer trips and sometimes sleep over night at a truck stop. Will having the truck idle with the a/c,radio,etc on cause any problems with the emissions garbage? Is there a kill switch that will shut off the truck if idling for more than 10 minutes such as the new Dodge pick ups?

Besides 0 mpg, will any check engine lights turn on?

Thanks,

www.NorCalTruck.com & Rigid Ind. FTW!
gregert12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2012, 09:32 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

My sister ordered a new '12 early this year. I do remember hearing her complaining about that. She likes to start it during cold weather and let it high idle for 25-30 minutes before she leaves for work. She said it does shut off after ten minutes.

Maybe an efi live vendor can chime in on bipassing that nuisance...

No early kill on my '05 lly though! Lol

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 05-19-2012, 09:44 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

I think the 10 minutes is only if you use the remote start. Long idle will build up soot in the DPF because the temp of combustion is low. It will cause a lot of regens but I don't think anything other than that
Old 05-19-2012, 09:45 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

No EFI on 2012 trucks. Mayb see if dealer can turn off 4u?
My First Truck: 1990 Chevy 1500 sport reg cab 4x2 5.SP Man with 4.3v6. A High Perf. 350 is in the works someday
BlackBetty06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2012, 09:52 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

If it has a DPF (and yours does) they dont like to idle long. On my truck if I have only drove around town for a wile the "clean exhaust filter "comes up on the DIC and I need to go for a blast on the highway.That and the low temp in the cylinders makes for unburnt fuel to make its way to the crankcase diluting the motor oil , quite bad.
jmac5058 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2012, 10:08 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

I have a 2011 lml work truck. H&S tuned and 5" straight pipe. I was wondering the same thing about long idle times. I may sit on location for 3 days living out of my truck. My coolant temp stays around 179 degrees is that going to be to cool where I will have issues with unburnt fuel.
20'' Monsters 285/50R20 Cooper Zeon ltz
booxr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2012, 10:43 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

I think the issue is the temp in the combustion chamber not the coolant. I doubt that any diesel will burn all the fuel at idle.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:27 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

I let my truck idle for up to 30-45 minutes on occasion and haven't noticed any problems. The dealer told me it can cause the DPF to get clogged more quickly, but I take a drive on the highway when my Edge Insight says I have 44 or 45 grams of soot in the DPF to let it completely clean itself.
Limo Tint All Around w/ Limo Brow
EDGE CTS Insight, Rancho Steering Stabilizer, Backup Camera
3/4" Lift via Torsion Bars (it was all I could get with stock keys), 285/65/18 Nitto Trail Grapplers
GoLight Stryker HID
XRT Pro on Tow with 4" Flo Pro Exhaust
Chevytuff19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2012, 12:22 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac5058 View Post
If it has a DPF (and yours does) they dont like to idle long. On my truck if I have only drove around town for a wile the "clean exhaust filter "comes up on the DIC and I need to go for a blast on the highway.That and the low temp in the cylinders makes for unburnt fuel to make its way to the crankcase diluting the motor oil , quite bad.

The LMLs have a 9th injector in the exhause so no worries of washing a cylinder or getting fuel in the oil. Although the dic telling you to clean dpf will still happen.

2011 GMC 2500HD SLE CC/SB 4x4 __ Insight CTS, Nicktane fuel filter adapter, CAT fuel filter, B&W turn over ball, added tow mirrors with signals, Go Rhino Dominator III nerfs, cranked T-bars(stock keys), Zone shock ext, Bilstein 5100's up front, RS5000 stabilizer shock, a little trimming, 35x12.50 Toyo M/Ts on stock 20's!

Shop @ the DMAXstore.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOKER View Post
You can never have too much tire, only too much fender.
silver_lml is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2012, 01:05 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

the main proablem is face plugging of the DPF all the particulate matter builds up and plugs up the front of it depending on how bad it gets and the manufacture it could need to be removed and cleaned or replaced. as far as how long is to long to idle i dont know they usaly to a pretty good job keeping themselfs clean. i would try to find a tech thats has training for it and see what they call excessive idleing. iv replaced 2 DOC on a isx ($2000) and cleaned DPF due to excessive idleing. its not a normal problem but it does happen.
dmaxs10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.