2013 HD... What to expect? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2011+ LML Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2012, 06:17 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

2013 HD... What to expect?

I have a buddy of mine looking at a 2013 Dmax. He asked what I thought of them, and I told him I wasnt really sure because I have never done any real research on them. He was curious about the DEF and how often he will be adding. How often are the Regen's occuring for a guy that doesnt drive his truck more then 30-40 miles a day on average? How has fuel mileage been on the average for you guys? Have there been any common failures with these late model trucks? I didnt have answers to most of his questions because I'm still running and figuring out my 03 still haha. Any input related, or not related to the above topics would be hugely appreciated. I told him Im sure he'd be happy with the purchase as he had an LMM a few years back. Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2012, 06:21 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

I love mine, it regens every 350 miles or so in town and 500 highway. I have 10,000 miles and only used 4.5 gallons of urea, not bad. Gets 17-18 highway and averaged 15.5 overall with 10k. No regrets or issues I've heard of.
Rancho Steering Stabilizer
Blacked GMC Emblems
**SOLD** Looking for something new??

2006 JEEP Wrangler
6" SkyJacker/Tube Bumpers KC Lights
35" Mickey Thompson MTZ
MJToyZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2012, 06:22 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsivspeed454 View Post
I have a buddy of mine looking at a 2013 Dmax. He asked what I thought of them, and I told him I wasnt really sure because I have never done any real research on them. He was curious about the DEF and how often he will be adding. Roughly every 4,000 miles. How often are the Regen's occuring for a guy that doesnt drive his truck more then 30-40 miles a day on average? between 300-400 miles. How has fuel mileage been on the average for you guys? stock = 14-16 mpg Have there been any common failures with these late model trucks? Nothing specific. Just a few minor things i hear about from time to time. I didnt have answers to most of his questions because I'm still running and figuring out my 03 still haha. Any input related, or not related to the above topics would be hugely appreciated. I told him Im sure he'd be happy with the purchase as he had an LMM a few years back. Thanks guys!
Maybe these will help...

Every truck will be different, depending on the driver and what the truck is used for.

Truck is for sale...
Check the classifieds section...

My Build Thread
Armalite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2012, 06:28 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armalite View Post
Maybe these will help...

Every truck will be different, depending on the driver and what the truck is used for.
Understood, but I'm talking in general. Not so much things like blown engines and transmissions or stuff like that. I know all the big stuff is rock solid. I'm more curious about that little dub things that you guys may have had go wrong. This is a 50 year old man that is gonna drive back and forth to work and occasionally haul a trailer with a few motorcycles in it so he's gonna be relatively easy on it.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:36 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

I've heard of a few people having a coolant leak, like mine did. It was an electrical connection on the block. They backed it out, recovered threads, tightened it back up, and problem was solved. Few others have had this.

Friend of mine just put his in shop for rear main seal gone out. 14k miles on it. GM said it was only the third truck they've seen in two years with that issue.

Truck is for sale...
Check the classifieds section...

My Build Thread
Armalite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2012, 06:58 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

You will be lucky to get 14 mpg my average is just over 12 @16000 miles
my truck uses about 1 gal def every 1000+ miles
These trucks are very heavy and IMO do not make good grocery getters
They are towing monsters and if you don’t tow a 1500 gasser may be a better choice
8.5 western pro plow, cci grill and mirror covers

Last edited by skidoochris; 07-23-2012 at 07:02 PM.
skidoochris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2012, 07:06 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Same thing I was going to say . He would much better be suited for a 5.3 1500

2008 2500hd black ext "5 diamond eye exhaust .mini maxx
Cummins crusher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2012, 07:19 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

I've only had two problems with mine, one was def sensors, had to replace the whole def tank!!! Two was a seat cushion problem that they just replaced the seat bottom.
Doverarjim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2012, 01:55 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

Respectfully disagree with a gasser being better……..As I’ve had both

I have just over 12K on my “Daily Drive” and average 19.4mpg thus far. I’ve put in 5 gal of DEF thus far (well just put in 2.5 last week so 7.5) and the dealer DID NOT fill my tank when I bought the truck. I think it’s like 0.003 cents per mile when I did the math last week.

I drive 60 miles round trip 5 days a week to and from work plus pick up the kids each day and trips to HD, Lowes and such on the weekends. I stay between 65-70 on the highway and don’t launch off the line hard in town. I get up to speed and know where it shifts and what it likes. All I’ve pulled is my bass boat thus far and I get between 18-18.5 doing that. It goes in the woods during deer season with 4 wheeler in the back and even got a bit muddy last season.

I regen like clockwork between 650 and 700 miles or once per tank. These truck drive great handle great, pull GREAT, hell, I LOVE my truck. I fill up every 15 calander days and put in 33 gal most of the time.

I’ve had zero issues with this truck (knock on wood) and would buy it again and twice on Sunday…….

Tim
Old 07-24-2012, 03:34 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

Agree ^ My 2012 HD gets 2-3 mpg better around town and on hwy than my 2011 z-71 1500 with 5.3 fuel management system. Both CCSB and 4x4. Even lighter loads (3000-4000 lbs) would still push the 1500 around. Much more confidence in the HD on the hwy. If money is no issue, I'd get the HD over 1500 all day.
Vibration (no charge)
All stock "for now"
bdm300 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.