Another Trip to the dealer=Failure - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2011+ LML Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2012, 04:34 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Another Trip to the dealer=Failure

Truck went into regen again. I picked up a friend and we went for a ride to the dealer. I asked him if he smelled anything. Turns out I'm not on crack. We were going about 45-50 mph and we were smelling some nasty stuff(truck was in regen), off and on, it was not constant. We got to the dealer and got the truck wrote up. They couldn't give us a car because it was the end of the day so I droped it off the next night (no problem I just won't spend 53k next time).
The things I that I had concerns about:
-smell during regen at speed
-excessive def consumption
-alignment
-soft paint
-oil pump whine

Got a call back from the dealer and they couldn't duplicate any of the conditions which were observed by both me and another individual. They couldnt even hear the oil pump whine, which by the way you can hear from like 100 feet away, and they said it was the allison transmission wining. Said that it was normal for there to be a little smoke and smell during regen even at speed (which is bullshlaka). Also, said that 1gal every 1k is normal. i guess it could be, but seemed a little excessive for what others here are seeing. I had also asked to see how many regens the truck had seen, and that I am regening about every 400 miles with a combined of 15.6 mpg. I do a 3-4 mile city to the highway than 22-25 to work. As for the alignment they said they drove the truck and it drove comparable to other vehicles in that class.

Here's what I have issues with.
-Exhaust system was not checked for leaks with a smoke machine
-Alighnment was not checked on a rack
-Didn't really understand that the regens were happening too soon
-This was the most competant dealership in the area, I called multiple and when the service writer asked what regen was...game over.

I understand that my mileage should get better as the truck breaks in...I have about 5300k on it (11' ccsb). This is just frustrating as all hell. This is the 4th or 5th time the truck has been in since I have owned it in Jan.
SuperBlackTruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2012, 05:15 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

Ufta! Sounds like a damn headache... Your problems are my main reasons why Im buying a 12' cummins n not a 13' denali dmax.
2008 Chevy LTZ LMM Pro-Comp 6", 35x18 MT ATZ/Eagle Alloy, MBRP 4", EFI 5 Husker Diesel, 200gph AD, EGR Delete, PCV Reroute, Suncoast GMAX6 1058 TQ, 42% pump, 50% nozzles, 72mm Danville, ARP Studs, down pipe, LML manifold, Sinister EGR Delete kit, mod up pipe, Alpine touchscreen, Type-R speakers, Alpine Components, Type-R Subs Alpine Mono Amp, OEM Installed Sunroof
2010 Red Jewel SSRS Camaro - Edelbrock E-force, watermeth, camed, 427 stroker, AR Headers straight pipe 742hp at crank! LOTS MORE!
05' 5.9 cummins, 6" lift, 37s, SuncoastVI, 612RWHP 2011Honda CBR1000
2014 POLARIS RMK ASSAULT 800 155"!!
2011 ARCTIC CAT 700 LE
Work trucks- 07' GMC 5500, 09 3500 quad 6.7 cummins, 11' 3500 LGH dmax 12' 3500 crew LGH dmax, 2013 3500 Ext Cab LML, 07' Kenworth W900L, 09' Sterling tandom, 10' Kenworth tandom.
assaultrmk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012, 05:30 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

Sounds like a down pipe issue. I would speak to the service manager first. If you get no where then the general manager. If not then, GM service rep. I know it is a PITA, but have to play the game a little. I know 2011 had some issues with regen and from what I read on here.
Kitty missing since 6-20-14
PPEI tuning
NickTane adapter with 1r-0750 cat
Modified CAT 177-9778 base with 1r-0770 water sep.
HID low beams/fog lights DDM tuning (No DRL thank you)
Dirtymax716 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012, 06:31 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

400 miles with the driving you are doing does not sound bad to me. 15.6 is not unreasonable at you mileage and not knowing how you drive. 1000 miles to a gallon of DEF again is not out of line. Now the smell while driving is probably the pipe. You will detect some odor at idle but while driving, no. I don't know what you mean by soft paint. What's the problem with the driving? Oil pump whine? This new duramax is so quiet you will hear things you never heard before on a diesel.

Retrax cover-factory steps, factory chrome hood protector, factory mud flaps-a little chrome added here and there-fumoto-fuel filter access door-aluminum bleeder screw-T-Rex billet grill for bumper

Proudly made in America by the UAW

Pulling a 2004 Kountry Star weighing 15000#

Retired UAW local 2250
jmrkav is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012, 07:49 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

Not sure if it would help you but if you want the chrysler discount, I work for them...I have 2 numbers left that I can give you.

Just picked the truck up...apparantly someone at the dealer had fun in the mud with my truck. Grass and mud are all caked up in the wheel wells of the truck even after it went thru the car wash.

I am open to all suggestions, tell me how to drive the truck. I try and keep it below 2k rpms light throttle.

As far as the whine, dealer said it was the trans that was whining and not the oil pump. The doors have tons of stone chips on them, but all there are a ton of them down to the primer and they are large and really jagged. I don't live on a dirt road and don't drive on them.

Last edited by SuperBlackTruck; 09-27-2012 at 07:55 PM.
SuperBlackTruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012, 07:54 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
I STILL DGAF
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by assaultrmk View Post
Ufta! Sounds like a damn headache... Your problems are my main reasons why Im buying a 12' cummins n not a 13' denali dmax.
Solid idea. Bye.

07.5 CHEVROLET LT2 CCSB LMM 4WD|SOLD|LMM 'build' thread|LMM pics
Duraskank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012, 09:13 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBlackTruck View Post
Also, said that 1gal every 1k is normal. i guess it could be, but seemed a little excessive for what others here are seeing. I had also asked to see how many regens the truck had seen, and that I am regening about every 400 miles with a combined of 15.6 mpg.
For comparison... I have a '12 Dmax CCLB with 8,000 miles bought July 12. I do smell the regen and occurs every 250-450 miles depending upon what type of driving. Averaging 1 gal of def per 1,200 miles. Got 15.0 mpg for the first 1500 miles and 16.4 mpg thereafter. Could definitely get better mpg but I drive a lot of miles at 82 mph which kills the mpg. When I drive like my father (his name is Grandpa) I can get 19.5-21.5 mpg highway @ 60-65 mph, although my hair will turn white by the time I arrive at my destination!

Only complaint is a little vibration on the passenger seat (what a surprise) and wish it didn't regen so often. Overall I am very happy with the truck...Thrilled!

Last edited by Free Bird; 09-27-2012 at 09:18 PM.
Free Bird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2012, 08:04 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

@SuperBlackTruck, I would like to look into this for you. I will send you a private message with the additional information I need to get going on this.

Michelle, GM Customer Service
GMCustomerService is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2012, 06:38 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

quik fixx. do a full delete an straight pipe..an get it aligned because factory alighnment is not accurate, they align all the trucks the same..
cognito uca kit
level keys
limo tint all around! even the windshield
17" walker evans race wheels(black)
35/12.50r17 toyo m/t's
line x
2" drop shackles
s&b intake
cthomas622 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2012, 07:07 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomas622 View Post
quik fixx. do a full delete an straight pipe..an get it aligned because factory alighnment is not accurate, they align all the trucks the same..
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.