low sulfur vs ultra low sulfur - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2011+ LML Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 03:27 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

low sulfur vs ultra low sulfur

where i usually fill up with diesel has low sulfur diesel which is 500ppm but everywhere else that i have seen has the ultra low sulfur diesel that is 15ppm i believe.what would be the benefits of using the low sulfur diesel vs the ultra low?
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2012, 03:33 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

Low sulfur diesel is primarily used in farm/off road equipment. If you use it in your truck you could do damage to the emissions system. Plus low sulfer fuel might be illegal to run on the highway in what ever state you live in.
6 inch MBRP double wall tip
EGR Delete in the works

2012 Yukon XL Denali 6.2 litre grocery gettin MOFO!
1994 Chevy ex cab Z71 huntin truck (Ole Brown)
2006 Z19 Ranger Comanche w/225 H.O. Rude eTEC
Stob Donkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 05:20 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

If you are buying the fuel in the US or Can, it is ULSD, as it is no longer legal to manufacture or supply LSD for retail.

Off-road diesel is also ULSD, for the same reason as on-road. Emissions requirements have forced use of DPF's, which of course must have USLS.

The change to usld was a staged on, so there was a period of time when both types of fuel were being manufactured/distributed.
redwngr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 05:21 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
Banned

No one has had sellable legal LSD since 2010 in the US...

CanadaLand may, I do not know.

Even red fuel is ULSD... has been for awhile now.
Hondarider552 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 06:01 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
I'm That Guy...

I'm curious where you're buying fuel at too.

CLICK TO READ: FORUM RULES OR DF STAFF!

Thank you Rob Coddens (Idaho Rob), Dustin @ ATP, Scott @ SDP, Kory Willis, and Mike L. for all of your help!

05 LLY CCSB 4wd - Mods coming (Truck Love from ATP Trucks and Copperhead Diesel expected soon)
SOLD: 05 LLY, 05 LLY, 09 LMM, 02 LB7

Build Threads : 2005 Chevy Silverado | 1978 Ford Bronco (Sister Site)
TDFDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 06:03 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondarider552 View Post
No one has had sellable legal LSD since 2010 in the US...

CanadaLand may, I do not know.

Even red fuel is ULSD... has been for awhile now.
Really, well I guess the 20 gallons I bought for my tractor just the other day must have been surplus. The sticker on the pump clearly states This fuel may contain >15ppm sulfur ,off road use only.
EGR Delete in the works

Last edited by Stob Donkey; 10-01-2012 at 06:11 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:06 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
Banned

Your right, must have been surplus. It's illegial to make 15ppm diesel and sell it as usable onroad diesel, and may be for offroad, but I can guarantee the fuel biz wont specifically sell LSD 15ppm diesel for offroad use only. Every piece of Cat equipment at my work is red fuel, but all the fuel tanks say ULSD on them..

Last edited by Hondarider552; 10-01-2012 at 06:10 PM.
Hondarider552 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 06:30 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

We have a 500 gal talk on the jobsite that we fill almost once a week for equipment and fuel guys told us that everything is ulsd. The only place you might still find it is tugboats and ships. He said thats where they are sending what they have left. Make sure its good fuel because if its been sitting this long, no telling whats in it.

2011 GMC 2500HD SLE CC/SB 4x4 __ Insight CTS, Nicktane fuel filter adapter, CAT fuel filter, B&W turn over ball, added tow mirrors with signals, Go Rhino Dominator III nerfs, RDS 60gal fuel tank/toolbox combo, cranked T-bars(stock keys), Zone shock ext, Bilstein 5100's up front, RS5000 stabilizer shock, a little trimming, 35x12.50 Toyo M/Ts on stock 20's!

1993 Toyota pickup sc/sb 4x4__lifted with big bumpers

Shop @ the DMAXstore.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOKER View Post
You can never have too much tire, only too much fender.
silver_lml is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 06:51 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

Guys help me understand exactly Are you guys saying the Red Off Road fuel is ULSD? If so then the only benefit to using it is saving on taxes.
20x9 AR Fuel wheels with Nitto Rubber, PPE Sleeves, Fox 2.0's, Cognito Supports, Cold Air, 4" MBRP down pipe back, blocker plate, ADII 165, race plug, pcv re-route, resonator delete plug, Whelen Strobe Kit, limo tint.

FLDMAXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 06:51 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

Here's some interesting reading from Chevrons website, Note the first sentence in "The EPA requirements" section:

DIESEL FUEL DYEING IN THE U.S.
In the U.S., a confusing situation for both refiners and purchasers of diesel fuel has arisen
because the IRS and the EPA require the addition of red dye to certain classes of diesel
fuel. Each agency requires adding the dye to a different class of fuel, at a different concentration,
and for a different reason such as:
• The EPA wants to identify diesel fuel with high-sulfur content to ensure that it is not
used in on-road vehicles.
• The IRS wants to ensure that tax-exempt high-sulfur and low-sulfur diesel fuel are not
used for taxable purposes.

The EPA Requirements

U.S. EPA regulations require “visible evidence of the presence of red dye” to identify highsulfur
fuels when they leave the refinery. In practice, this requires refiners to add a level
of red dye that is equivalent to no more than 0.75 pounds/1,000 bbl (ptb) (2.14 mg/L)
of a solid Solvent Red 26 dye standard. Solvent Red 26 was chosen as the standard
because it is a unique chemical available in pure form. Diesel fuels are actually dyed with
liquid concentrates of Solvent Red 164 because this dye is more fuel soluble and less
costly than the standard. Solvent Red 164 is a mixture of isomers that are very similar to
Solvent Red 26, except the former incorporates hydrocarbon (alkyl) chains to increase its
solubility in petroleum products.
Any red dye observed in the fuel of a vehicle in on-road use triggers a measurement of the
fuel’s sulfur content. Penalties are assessed based on the actual sulfur content of the fuel,
rather than simply on the presence of dye.
As of June 2012, only heating oil will require red dye for EPA purposes. By then,
on-road, non-road, locomotive, and marine diesels will all be ULSD.

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Requirements

U.S. IRS regulations require that tax-exempt diesel fuels, both high-sulfur and low-sulfur,
have a minimum level of a Solvent Red 164 dye that is spectrally equivalent to 3.9 ptb
of the Solvent Red 26 dye standard. This level of dye is more than five times the amount
required by the EPA regulations. The IRS contends that the high dye level is necessary to
allow detection of tax evasion even after five-fold dilution of dyed fuel with undyed fuel.
EGR Delete in the works

Last edited by Stob Donkey; 10-01-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.