How to Drain Poor Quality DEF Fluid??? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2011+ LML Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 08:01 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

How to Drain Poor Quality DEF Fluid???

I've been getting the "Exhaust Fluid Poor Quality" warning on the DIC so I brought my truck to the local GM service center this morning. They are telling me there is no way to drain the fluid from the DEF tank. They also tell me they can't get a tube down the fill hose to suck out the fluid since they think there's a check ball in the line somewhere.
Now they want to charge me $175 to remove the tank and drain it.
Seriously - no drain valve?

Thanks in advance.
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2012, 08:16 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

I would remove it yourself and drain it, then take that check ball out if you can that way you can suck it out if you have too. Also of you want a drain valve on it, drill a hole and put one in. It's probably not too hard. I would check on warranty stuff first before I drilled it

1998 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L AX-5 Manual EGR Delete, 2.5in Performance Exhaust, K&N Intake, 2.5in lift 31x10.5x15 TOYO M/T on Gloss black Steelies

2005 Suzuki DR650

Last edited by aturking; 10-09-2012 at 08:20 AM.
aturking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 08:29 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
GMC..Professional Grade
Lifetime Supporting Member

I had a hard time draining mine when i did the delete.....with the tank out! I first tried sticking a screwdriver in the checkball but that nasty stuff was runnin down my arm, so i took the pump out and threw the tank in the driveway upside down
H&S minimaxx, MBRP downpipe back SS duals, Insight CTS w/backup cam, Fass HD150, PPE rear diff cover, Amsoil front-rear w/bypass, Cognito 4-6 NTBD w/idler/pitman braces, a-arms, Recon smoked cab lights
Titan 57 gal saddle tank, linex color matched bedliner , Trekstep bed steps x2, RBP rail steps, Nitto Mud Grapplers, B&W Gooseneck

---Arizona Diesel Club---
Member #19
it's not just a hobbie, it's an Adventure
KensAuto is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 09:30 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Engineers, don’t you just love them!
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
OH plate GM DMAX
LML2011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 10:00 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML2011 View Post
Engineers, donít you just love them!
indeed

1998 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L AX-5 Manual EGR Delete, 2.5in Performance Exhaust, K&N Intake, 2.5in lift 31x10.5x15 TOYO M/T on Gloss black Steelies

2005 Suzuki DR650
aturking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 10:25 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

This wasn't poor engineering. The lack of a drain on that tank was most likely a cost-savings decision. I was just cheaper to not put one on there.
Anyway, the dealer removed the fill tube at the top of the tank and drained it from there (after I told them I didn't think they needed to drop the tank).
I really needed a tire rotation so that plus the drain and refill with GM DEF came to $200. Yeah, it was a typical dealer rip-off but I didn't have time to fool around with the truck this week. I was also concerned that the truck would go into "limp mode" due to the DEF warning.
Lessons learned:
1. Don't use the Peak BlueDef DEF. The problem started a few weeks after
adding 1.5 gallons of that stuff. Maybe it's OK if fresh, but why risk it?
2. Don't top off the DEF tank - especially if you drive low miles AND live in
a hot climate. The stuff degrades pretty quickly.
3. Always post your questions about Duramax issues on this forum
BEFORE you take your vehicle in for service!

Thanks again.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:36 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
GMC..Professional Grade

curious how they syphined with that check ball in there....hmmm
H&S minimaxx, MBRP downpipe back SS duals, Insight CTS w/backup cam, Fass HD150, PPE rear diff cover, Amsoil front-rear w/bypass, Cognito 4-6 NTBD w/idler/pitman braces, a-arms, Recon smoked cab lights
Titan 57 gal saddle tank, linex color matched bedliner , Trekstep bed steps x2, RBP rail steps, Nitto Mud Grapplers, B&W Gooseneck

---Arizona Diesel Club---
Member #19
it's not just a hobbie, it's an Adventure
KensAuto is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 11:52 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Yeah, I'm not sure exactly what they did but I see fluid leaking now on the frame below where the DEF fill tube is. Maybe they didn't position or tighten the clamp that connects the fill tube to the tank.
After 3 hours of being held hostage in the "waiting room" you just wanna get the heck out of there and move on with your life. Guess I'll give it until tomorrow and see if it keeps leaking.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:01 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
Rara Avis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra2500HD View Post
This wasn't poor engineering. The lack of a drain on that tank was most likely a cost-savings decision. I was just cheaper to not put one on there.
Anyway, the dealer removed the fill tube at the top of the tank and drained it from there (after I told them I didn't think they needed to drop the tank).
I really needed a tire rotation so that plus the drain and refill with GM DEF came to $200. Yeah, it was a typical dealer rip-off but I didn't have time to fool around with the truck this week. I was also concerned that the truck would go into "limp mode" due to the DEF warning.
Lessons learned:
1. Don't use the Peak BlueDef DEF. The problem started a few weeks after
adding 1.5 gallons of that stuff. Maybe it's OK if fresh, but why risk it?
2. Don't top off the DEF tank - especially if you drive low miles AND live in
a hot climate. The stuff degrades pretty quickly.
3. Always post your questions about Duramax issues on this forum
BEFORE you take your vehicle in for service!

Thanks again.

They identified the DEF issue here (TheDieselPage.com - LML Duramax 6600 - Engine & Emissions Tech - February 2010 )..."DEF degrades over time at temperatures above 86 degrees F. Average shelf life should exceed one year, so only those trucks that do NOT consume a tank of DEF fluid over a twelve month period(6000 to 9000 miles) in a warm climate would need to be concerned"

I used to own an ant farm but had to give it up. I couldn't find tractors small enough to fit it.
-- Steven Wright

NRA Benefactor

2007 GMC 3500 C&C with Hillsboro Aluminum Flatbed
2008 GMC 3500 Crewcab SLT
2012 GMC 1500 Crewcab SLT
2007 Saturn Sky Redline
PaulChristenson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 01:16 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

The dealer wanted to charge me 129$ just to evaluate the problem plus 175$ to clean the tank of the bad def. They called me and told me it was "all set". I got there and asked what was the level of urea in the def that they deemed to be "bad" as it needs a minimum of 32.5%. They had no answer so I asked for a sample and I would send it out to be tested before I pay. They didn't save any as they washed out the tank. I told them to find the real problem and get back to me. The "real problem" was a bad nox sensor. Free under warranty. Be careful what you get taken for at a dealership.

White 2006 Silverado SCLB LBZ. Service body filled to GVWR with tools. Just did studs, head gaskets, PCV re-route, egr delete and cat delete. Firestone ride rite bags.
whtdmax06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.