Anyone hit twice by lightning? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2011+ LML Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 02:48 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Anyone hit twice by lightning?

Picking up my 2011 2500HD tomorrow after fuel pump failure resulted in system rebuild from pump to injectors. The truck is stock except for a turnover ball. This ocurred at 11,000 miles although most of the miles are in front of a trailer with 7 tons of hay. Has anyone had 2 pump failures? Fortunately the failure occured on a flat, straight road with no traffic and no load in the trailer. It doesn't bear thinking about if this had happened while loaded and in the mountains. With this extensive dealer service disassembly/reassesmbly anything else to be on the lookout for?

many thanks!
Rocky Mountain Equines is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 04:03 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
GMC..Professional Grade
Lifetime Supporting Member

maybe start using an additive like opti-lube....did they give a reason for failure, did they test the fuel, etc.Several guys have lost pumps and i think it would be great to know why. could be 10 different reasons or maybe the pumps themselves. Most guys will agree at the very least we should be adding something to help lube the cp4s
H&S minimaxx, MBRP downpipe back SS duals, Insight CTS w/backup cam, Fass HD150, PPE rear diff cover, Amsoil front-rear w/bypass, Cognito 4-6 NTBD w/idler/pitman braces, a-arms, Recon smoked cab lights
Titan 57 gal saddle tank, linex color matched bedliner , Trekstep bed steps x2, RBP rail steps, Nitto Mud Grapplers, B&W Gooseneck

---Arizona Diesel Club---
Member #19
it's not just a hobbie, it's an Adventure
KensAuto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 06:10 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

...not only lube but I think better filtration is probably top priority. Ford guys are having the CP4.2 fail even more than us, I think due to Fords not having a decent filtration system. I suggest running a lift pump with a 2 Micron absolute filter.
TRex Bumper Grill|Complete LED Conversion|H&S Mini Max|EDGE Insight CTS w/ Mount|EZ Down|5K HID Fogs|Rigid Dually/SR-M Ground Lights|AirDog II|S&B Intake w/ Volant Donaldson Powercore G2 Filter|Mag-Hytec Diff Cover|Mobil Delvac ATF|WeatherTech Tailgate Liner|Mobil 1 TDT
PirateDiesel12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 12:27 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

is a pump loss as expensive a repair on the LML as it was on my 2004 6.OL. Cab off? I hope i did my homework well before purchasing the 2012 LML...thus far, all is well.

Last edited by Shocky111; 11-12-2012 at 12:32 PM. Reason: update
Shocky111 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 12:52 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
GMC..Professional Grade

I think a safe estimate would be 10-12k if the entire system is replaced, if the pump shells out metal filings
H&S minimaxx, MBRP downpipe back SS duals, Insight CTS w/backup cam, Fass HD150, PPE rear diff cover, Amsoil front-rear w/bypass, Cognito 4-6 NTBD w/idler/pitman braces, a-arms, Recon smoked cab lights
Titan 57 gal saddle tank, linex color matched bedliner , Trekstep bed steps x2, RBP rail steps, Nitto Mud Grapplers, B&W Gooseneck

Member #19
Old 11-12-2012, 01:32 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

Was trolling and saw this. I have lots to learn on the LML fuel delivery system. I do my best to purchase fuel from reputable locations with high turns but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Iím at 5k on the lml and using the opti-lube now. I donít know that I can support claims of reduced emissions and more power with increase in millage, I havenít seen this and my regen cycle is about the same, fuel mileage is the same. Had my 2004 6.0L since new and clocked 160K miles and had every failure you could haveÖI maintained that truck to perfection.

They making aftermarket filtration systems for the lml that wont void warranty?
Shocky111 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 01:41 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Moss-Mag act helps this out. You cannot be denied a warranty claim if you are adding something that did not cause damage. Filters are a fine example. Say you used WIX branded filters, I know, I know the feelings of some, but a good example. By using WIX filters and something happens, GM has to prove the filters did the damage.

Look at my sig. I'm using a Caterpillar 1r-0770 water separator that filters down to 3 microns. Using a nicktane or Underground diesel adaptor I am running a 1r-0750 fuel filter that is 2 microns. These are absolute micron numbers not nominal.

Ford redesigned their system again for the 2011+ and are having nothing but trouble. I'm new to diesels, somewhat, but as I see it the filters are not doing a good job in stopping the water to this pump.
Kitty missing since 6-20-14
PPEI tuning
NickTane adapter with 1r-0750 cat
Modified CAT 177-9778 base with 1r-0770 water sep.
HID low beams/fog lights DDM tuning (No DRL thank you)
Dirtymax716 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 08:14 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

Picked up the truck today. Cost of repair: covered under warranty, no dollar amounts on the paper work but I was told GMC paid the dealer for 28 hours of work. They remove both the bed & the cab. Washed out the tank, replaced everythring from the tank to, and including the injectors. The repair manager says the pump is updated, not the original 2011, supposedly the injectors are also updated. This is the 10th fuel replacement they have done on a 2011, supposedly no 2012 failures. This by the way is a small dealership serving a large rural area in Western US so they do see a lot of trucks.

On a 120 mile return trip the indicated MPG increased from its previous 16-17, no load highway to 22mpg, hope this lasts. Will be back to hauling a load next week

The dealer ship of course has no insight into why.......so no advice on keeping it from happening again. They claim none of the other 10 have had further fuel issues. If this was a fuel pump quality control issue then for 2011s its a roll of the dice and additives or a filter would not have prevented the issue.
Rocky Mountain Equines is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 08:20 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
GMC..Professional Grade

thanks for the update

Member #19
Old 11-15-2012, 05:34 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

Appreciate the update. Good to know GM is on top of this. Sorry to know you were the guinea pig though.
Kitty missing since 6-20-14
PPEI tuning
NickTane adapter with 1r-0750 cat
Modified CAT 177-9778 base with 1r-0770 water sep.
HID low beams/fog lights DDM tuning (No DRL thank you)
Dirtymax716 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.