Oil change and routine maintenance - Page 3 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2011+ LML Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 02:23 PM   eBay Motors  #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy-stevenson View Post
EGR adds soot and acids to the oil.
I agree with that but is there a connection between the EGR and the DPF, other than the EPA, that I don't know about?
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 02:34 PM   eBay Motors  #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper101 View Post
I agree with that but is there a connection between the EGR and the DPF, other than the EPA, that I don't know about?
Both are not needed? I've got a LLY so don't quote me on this, but I believe the earlier models with DPF without the 9th injector could get fuel diluting the oil. And I believe without analysis it was necessary to change every 5k?
Built Front End
Supporting Mods
andy-stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 02:50 PM   eBay Motors  #23 (permalink)

The LML is the first with the 9th injector. The others injected fuel into the cylinders on the exhaust stroke and could cause the dilution problem as well as also super heating the entire system to heat the DPF. I believe this would heat the turbo also. I think the 9th injector is a great idea.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:29 PM   eBay Motors  #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhornsun View Post
No reason to change your oil more often than every 7500 miles or to use synthetic motor oil in a warm weather state like Texas. The 5-40W is recommended for temperatures below zero degrees (as in 0 and not 32F or freezing). You can buy Allison brand filters online for $10. Allison recommends changing the external filter only at 7500 miles with a new transmission. The filter holds about a pint of fluid.

I use a dino oil and change it with the filter at 7500 miles. Every 5000 miles is for severe duty service and the computer recommends based on my driving pattern about 10k miles so I split the difference as half the time I am hauling a very heavy 3700 lb. load around in the mountains. Engine protection is going to be the same for every dino and synthetic motor oil that meets the API specification. The difference is in the 25% of the gallon that consists of various additives.

In terms of additive mixes some excellent motor oils include Cummins/Valvoline Premium Blue dino, Shell Rotella T, Cummins/Valvoline Premium Blue synthetic, Pennzoil Long Life, Chevron Delo 400 (and not the Chevron Delo LE), and Red Line Diesel synthetic. Big difference in price with the Valvoline dino selling for $10 a gallon and Red Line synthetic selling for $35 a gallon.

Another consideration is that the DPF equipped engines build up soot and sludge in the motor oil at a faster rate and the only way to deal with it is to remove it with an oil change. That is why I do a 7500 dino oil change schedule instead of a 10k-15k synthetic oil change schedule.

Before you start a long trip with your truck I highly recommend topping off the DEF tank. Consumption varies with use and although you can pump DEF at many truck stops it is still a bit of a pain.
what's wrong with the DELO 400 LE? Being as it's pretty hard to obtain the good ol stuff, which you can't run in particulate filtered trucks anyway from my understanding. I'm thinking DINO oil is just as good in these engines so long as it's not incredibly cold.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:00 AM   eBay Motors  #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy-stevenson View Post
EGR adds soot and acids to the oil.
Can you explain that for me? Are you talking about a circulating EGR or a blocked EGR?
And how does it add it to the OIL ?
Autometer Cobalt Gauges
BFGoodrich T/A KO 265 70R 17 stock rims winters
TOYO All Terrain Grapplers 265 70R 17 summer
American Racing Dale Earnhart Signature Series Rims
In2Trux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 10:42 AM   eBay Motors  #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by In2Trux View Post
Can you explain that for me? Are you talking about a circulating EGR or a blocked EGR?
And how does it add it to the OIL ?
A circulating one. And it adds it because the soot and crap is circulated into the intake and into the cylinders and then when the oil lubricates the cylinders it picks up all the garbage. That's how I understand it, somebody may be able to explain it better than that.
Built Front End
Supporting Mods
andy-stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 02:45 PM   eBay Motors  #27 (permalink)

Today, at 19100 miles, I changed the factory fuel filter for the first time. I put on the Racor and the fender well access panel at the same time. The fuel filter life said 58%. The truck was built in Dec 2010 and I purchased it new in May 2011. So I figured it to be 2 years old now and the manual says use the monitor or change every 2 years.
Next week, I'm doing an oil change to Mobil 1 full synthetic and Mobil 1 extended life oil filter. My truck is driven 70% highway and used about 30%of its total mileage for towing a 12k pound fiver. Phillip
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.