Fuel filter after 40k - Page 3 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2011+ LML Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 09:44 PM   eBay Motors  #21 (permalink)
Retired DF contributer
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramax19 View Post
what do dealerships recomend for fuel filter change?
Doesn't really matter what a dealer suggests.

One needs to take into consideration what sort of fuel they are burning and how much of said fuel(s), then make an educated decision.

The interval also depends on the year/model of truck, as the fuel systems differ greatly in sensitivity. While we change out the fuel filter every 7,000 KM on a friend's LB7, I only slap a new one on my LML every 30,000 KM. His LB7 has "finicky" injectors and he runs nothing but died diesel (or the junk we use in equipment on site). My welding rig on the other hand, only gets fuel from the popular gas stations in town.

Check your owner's manual for a GM suggestion, then apply above theory.

No rocket science involved.
JOKER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 11:42 PM   eBay Motors  #22 (permalink)
Discount Diesel Parts

This is why I preach better filtration because that stuff is fatal if it gets through your filter. I am a true believer in better aftermarket filtration. Things like the Nicktane Auxiliary Filter and the Nicktane Cat adapt. Those with a Fass or AD lift pump get better filtration. No matter what you choose it is money well spent for your Dmax.

As far as filter changes on my 05 that I just sold we changed every 15K miles with the oil change. Make it simple for you, change your Allison spin-on filter and fuel filter at the same time. Many do a 10-15k mile fuel filter change.
Amsoil Distributor #1466322
Exhaust Systems, Down Pipes, CAI, EFI Live
Authorized Nicktane Dealer, Filters
EZ Oil Drain Valves, Fuel Filter Access Doors
Your Satisfaction is Our Satisfaction!
Dirtbikindad393 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 08:02 PM   eBay Motors  #23 (permalink)

I noticed that everybody saying the OP is crazy for going that long before changing does not own a LML. In their older trucks they should change their filters sooner. I agree it all depends on application and good judgement, but changing your fuel filter ever 6K or 10K in a LML truck is a flat waist of time and money. The 100K 5 yr. warranty is based on what that DIC displays. My truck is at 26K and my DIC still says 50% fuel filter life left. I think Ill be changing it soon even though I think it'll be a little unnecessary. The LML is designed to go further on oil and fuel filter life and GM bases their 100k 5yr warranty off of this system and thats good enough for me. If GM weren't possitive that the LML could do what the DIC displays to it's owner, they wouldn't do it, cause after all, within that time, they are the one footing the bill for a failure. As long as the owner isn't stupid enough to poor straight water into the fuel system, the DIC should be sufficient in most cases.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:11 PM   eBay Motors  #24 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatriceLML View Post
I noticed that everybody saying the OP is crazy for going that long before changing does not own a LML. In their older trucks they should change their filters sooner. I agree it all depends on application and good judgement, but changing your fuel filter ever 6K or 10K in a LML truck is a flat waist of time and money. The 100K 5 yr. warranty is based on what that DIC displays. My truck is at 26K and my DIC still says 50% fuel filter life left. I think Ill be changing it soon even though I think it'll be a little unnecessary. The LML is designed to go further on oil and fuel filter life and GM bases their 100k 5yr warranty off of this system and thats good enough for me. If GM weren't possitive that the LML could do what the DIC displays to it's owner, they wouldn't do it, cause after all, within that time, they are the one footing the bill for a failure. As long as the owner isn't stupid enough to poor straight water into the fuel system, the DIC should be sufficient in most cases.
I want some of this super high quality clean fuel you are running. You are running the same fuel I am and the next guy. Just because you have a LML with a warranty doesn't mean your fuel filters last longer. I don't trust the DIC nor do other members on here. 40,000 miles is a lot on one fuel filter.

A 40$ fuel filter is a lot cheaper than a CP4 pump or injectors. Just saying...

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
5" DE, rerouted, debadged, demolded, air dog, stock fuel

Big thanks, Duramaxtuner.com & Kory Willis @ PPEI
TakeEm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 08:39 PM   eBay Motors  #25 (permalink)
Super Moderator

If you get dirty fuel, and it damages the injection system-- GM will NOT warranty the damage. Just saying.
Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, de-badged, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.--- Jerry
jc1843 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 09:07 PM   eBay Motors  #26 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramax19 View Post
what do dealerships recomend for fuel filter change?
Just change it every other oil change.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:07 PM   eBay Motors  #27 (permalink)

Well then maybe you guys should change your filters after every fill up? From the sounds and concerns of it, sounds like you guys believe your buying Mexico quality fuel. personally I believe in about 25,000mi intervals. Coarse I leave my truck stock, I don't put all those power adders some of you guys do.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:11 PM   eBay Motors  #28 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatriceLML View Post
Cool story. You run your ff to the moon an back then...filters are cheap insurance.

Big Thanks To Adrenaline Truck Performance, Alligator Diesel PerformanceSocal Diesel and Lincoln Diesel Specialties
Thebiggids is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 09:15 PM   eBay Motors  #29 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

10k ^^^^

Big Thanks To Adrenaline Truck Performance, Alligator Diesel PerformanceSocal Diesel and Lincoln Diesel Specialties
Thebiggids is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 09:21 PM   eBay Motors  #30 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

all diesel can be considered ''dirty'' its a bi-product of gasoline.. it doesnt matter how often everyone tells one another they should change fuel filters.. more filtration and quicker intervals between changes will never hurt a thing, cant do no harm, it can only help, with or without additives.. i think we all take a vow when we buy these trucks that we know our parts most likely arent going to be cheap in the event of replacing things.. id rather spend 40$ and change my filter more often then spend the money it will cost to replace fuel system parts.. the filters are there for a reason and they r made to be changed, thats why they screw on.. lol to each his own. im sticking with the way i been changing mine
auto meter boost/pyro/trans gauges- traction bars- 5'' DE 5" to 7" black mitre cut stack- PPE BIV- AD II 200 lift pump- edge insight CTS- spectre CAI- 45% over injectors- LMM cp3 & FPR -EFI live dsp5 from tony burkhard and danville performance
suncoast stage 4 trans, goerend "ML style" triple disc billet converter
Passin' 35psi on stock IHI with 290k on it
boostnlb7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.