Cold weather disappointment and frustration! - Page 2 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2011+ LML Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 02:09 PM   eBay Motors  #11 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Im betting fuel gelled. Im truck started I cycled the glow plugs 2x & started just right. If it was fuel gelling do add some anti gel additive.

2009 GMC 2500HD SLE CC/SB 4x4 LMM
EFI Live, Edge Insight CTS, EGR disabled, Flo~Pro 4" exhaust w/ muffler & stock trumpet tip, Pacer LED NBS cab lights, Putco yellow bulb fog lights, GM under tailgate dually light bar, Footwell lights, Cobra 29 WXNWST CB radio, Kenwood speakers, Tinted windows, GM chrome oval running boards, WIF sensor delete plug, Fumoto oil drain valve, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Michelin M/S2, PY0 wheels, Rubber mud flaps, Curt class IV hitch, Wilson 2000 CB antenna

2000 Silverado 1500 LS RC/LB 4x2 4.8L (Whoopty/Work Truck)
HD Dmax Machine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 03:02 PM   eBay Motors  #12 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

I went home about 4 hours later (heater plugged in) and it stumbled once and then started up. I donít believe it was fuel just the engine not wanting to stay running once the initial kick started. Really weird if you ask me. All my Fords would start without plugging in at much colder temps and it sounds like you guys are too. They would run rough for maybe 5 minutes at the most ever but after that they were fine.

I agree that 9 degrees should not be a problem. Iíll leave it unplugged tonight and see what happens in the morning.
Collimare is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 04:34 PM   eBay Motors  #13 (permalink)

Glad you got it started. I'm amazed how many people on here don't plug in there rigs. I have mine on a timer so it comes on 2 hrs before I leave, the glow plugs don't even come on and it warms up much faster. Extend the life of the glow plugs and possibly engine? No brainer for me.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:13 PM   eBay Motors  #14 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by D2DAMAX View Post
Glad you got it started. I'm amazed how many people on here don't plug in there rigs. I have mine on a timer so it comes on 2 hrs before I leave, the glow plugs don't even come on and it warms up much faster. Extend the life of the glow plugs and possibly engine? No brainer for me.
I have a new truck that I have no experience with and now no confidence. I want to know that it is going to crank in my driveway under normal cold conditions, not when I am out in the middle of nowhere hunting, skiing, on the road towing or parked at the airport for several nights.

I believe I was told the truck would crank down to -20 without issue. 9-10 is a long ways from -20.

Once I have confidence in the truck I donít mind plugging it in when it gets really cold, but it never gets cold enough not to crank in Denver. If it does not crank in the morning it will be towed to the dealer. I am not messing with a truck that wonít crank when it is well above its cold crank specifications or other brands I have owned.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:02 PM   eBay Motors  #15 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Collimare, your truck should definitely not need to be plugged it when above 0*F, as others (and your owners manual) have said.

Since it it is new, the dealer should be helping resolve this issue.
redwngr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 06:28 PM   eBay Motors  #16 (permalink)

It could still be a fuel issue. When you plug it in there is a fuel filter heater that comes on and may have ungeled the fuel in the filter.
E_money is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 06:29 PM   eBay Motors  #17 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

On myy 3rd winter with the lml. Have never used block heater. It is still curled up under hood. ~18c this morning. I suspect poor fuel. Dealer will help.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:42 PM   eBay Motors  #18 (permalink)

Im gonna say fuel issue also. I never plug in my truck. When its super cold I cycle the key a few times and never have a problem.

08 Dmax RCLB Stock (Dad's)

88 Mustang GT 347 Stroker 125 Shot Of N2O

- Justin
2009DuramaxLTZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 08:35 PM   eBay Motors  #19 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

I don't have any problems starting my 2011 lml and I don't plug it in and it gets down to -7 at my house. Be careful where you get your fuel though. Sometimes when you bargain shop for fuel you end up in these types of situations. A buddy of mine bought fuel at a store that he doesn't normally go to because it was cheap and had the same problem as you and had it towed to the dealer and there was water in the tank. After pulling the tank they pulled about a gallon of water from it he may have shaled the motor and he's having to fight GM over the bill.
Lowelife is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 08:43 PM   eBay Motors  #20 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

I did buy from a station that I normally do not buy from as I try to always put Shell in but did not have time last tank so I have decided to give the truck the benefit of the doubt and plugged it in. What winter fuel conditioner do you recommend? It is also about time for me to change the oil and I am going to put synthetic in now that I have about 10K on it. I always do this after break in as it makes a big difference in cold cranking. Thanks for all the input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.