Cold weather disappointment and frustration! - Page 5 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2011+ LML Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 10:32 AM   eBay Motors  #41 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Collimare,
Has your concern been resolved? Feel free to reach out to me or Michelle if you need additional assistance. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service (Assisting Michelle).
GMCustomerService is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 11:55 AM   eBay Motors  #42 (permalink)

It was 20 below last week here in Northern Utah and I didn't plug mine in the next morning went out and it started just fine. I finally dug out my plug yesterday and decided to plug it in as its getting below 0 every night.

Traded in:09 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT(it was fun but now enjoying my diesel)
M8chris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 06:06 AM   eBay Motors  #43 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Thank you very much for the info. I had no idea it was in there but have turned it on now. The dealer had no clue yesterday when I had it in for service.

Speaking of the service. I complained about a leak right front that turned out to be the front axle seal. Any other's with this at only 10K?

The called to say it was ready but when I got there the service advisor realized that they had not put my oil in (Rotella T-6) so I had to wait to have them dump the oil and replace. At least he caught it!

I also had to have them bleed the tires back down to 55 all around. I asked him to check my records where I had paid to have the computer reset to the lower pressure and he said ya they just missed it.

They were also adamant that the plug needs to be inside the engine compartment.

Thanks again for all the great help!!!
Collimare is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 07:44 AM   eBay Motors  #44 (permalink)
GMC..Professional Grade
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collimare View Post
Thank you very much for the info. I had no idea it was in there but have turned it on now. The dealer had no clue yesterday when I had it in for service.

Speaking of the service. I complained about a leak right front that turned out to be the front axle seal. Any other's with this at only 10K?
The called to say it was ready but when I got there the service advisor realized that they had not put my oil in (Rotella T-6) so I had to wait to have them dump the oil and replace. At least he caught it!

I also had to have them bleed the tires back down to 55 all around. I asked him to check my records where I had paid to have the computer reset to the lower pressure and he said ya they just missed it.

They were also adamant that the plug needs to be inside the engine compartment.

Thanks again for all the great help!!!
There has been a few guys with that problem, mostly 2011s.

....And on the plug having a temp sensor in it, well, never heard of that one...I think it's B.S....Hopefully Duratothemax will stumble upon this and comment. If anyone would know it would be Ben
H&S minimaxx, MBRP downpipe back SS duals, Insight CTS w/backup cam, Fass HD150, PPE rear diff cover, Amsoil front-rear w/bypass, Cognito 4-6 NTBD w/idler/pitman braces, a-arms, Recon smoked cab lights
Titan 57 gal saddle tank, linex color matched bedliner , Trekstep bed steps x2, RBP rail steps, Nitto Mud Grapplers, B&W Gooseneck

---Arizona Diesel Club---
Member #19
it's not just a hobbie, it's an Adventure
KensAuto is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 08:21 AM   eBay Motors  #45 (permalink)

I recall reading the plug had a sensor in it. But i think its been discontinued (could be wrong) The reason for the sensor was to eliminate codes due to the truck being plugged in above a certain temp. I think the plug sensor started with the LBZ.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:31 AM   eBay Motors  #46 (permalink)
GMC..Professional Grade
Lifetime Supporting Member

the block heater does not tie in to the trucks sytem, i know that for sure. It can not throw codes.
H&S minimaxx, MBRP downpipe back SS duals, Insight CTS w/backup cam, Fass HD150, PPE rear diff cover, Amsoil front-rear w/bypass, Cognito 4-6 NTBD w/idler/pitman braces, a-arms, Recon smoked cab lights
Titan 57 gal saddle tank, linex color matched bedliner , Trekstep bed steps x2, RBP rail steps, Nitto Mud Grapplers, B&W Gooseneck

---Arizona Diesel Club---
Member #19
it's not just a hobbie, it's an Adventure
KensAuto is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 11:12 AM   eBay Motors  #47 (permalink)

I know its not tied into the trucks electrical harness. There were issues with codes thrown from when the block heater was plugged in while above a certain temp. GM came up with a plug that wouldnt let the block heater operate unless the temperature was below a certain point.

I dont know the exact details of it.....I had an LB7 prior to this and never worried about issues with other model years. I do however remember reading something about it years ago.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:15 PM   eBay Motors  #48 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

To the OP, stick with high volume stations (your choice!), and always use an additive! Stanadyne works well, as does Amsoil additives! You should turn over much easier now that you have synthetic in it! I would also consider draining the filter to make sure that you didn't pick up any water that was freezing in the filter by your "unknown fuel"...
'05 CC/SB, AMSOIL 15w-40 (From Synthetic Motorsports), Cold Air Intake with a dry Nanofiber filter from AMSOIL, PPE Tuner level 1, EGR blocked, LBZ MP, lost KITTY, finished off the rest with 4" SS Magnaflow, Amsoil Torque Drive, 5K HID's, General Grabbers 265 :rockin

Synthetic Motorsports
K9Duramax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.