Cold weather disappointment and frustration! - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2011+ LML Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 08:53 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Cold weather disappointment and frustration!

It is 9 degrees here in Denver. I went out to start the truck and it will catch, fire off, stumble, the starter tries to re-engage and then it shuts down. I tried cycling the glow plugs a few times but always the same.

I get out and start looking for the heater plug-in which I have never used on this truck or the last 8 or 9 Powerstrokes and cannot find it. I call On Star, ask for roadside assistance and speak to someone who I can hardly understand. After about 5 minutes of trying to explain “I need to know where the block heater plug is on the front of my truck” I give up and call a local dealer.

The dealer explains where it is at so I change, get the step ladder out, blanket the fender and finally see where I think it is ty wrapped underneath to another bundle of cables. It takes me nearly 20 minutes to get it loose enough to slide the side cutters under it because there is not enough room to just come in 90 degrees to cut it free.

I have never had to use a block heater in Denver to this date and then when I need to use it, it is buried under underneath the back of the engine instead of out front where I can easily get to it. I was told that I always have to open the hood lay the end of the plug close to the engine in order to use the block heater. There is evidently some type of sensor at the end of the plug that needs to be kept next to the engine. REALLY!! Why is the block heater engine temp sensor not part of the engine and the plug-in up at the front bumper like all the others I have owned.

Had to ask wife for her car keys as she stood there laughing about my new 50k truck not starting.

Well it is plugged in and if it does not start in a few hours they can come tow it in.
Collimare is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 09:07 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

9 damn its warmer there I am in the foothills and it was 2 when I left this morning, I haven't had to use the block heater on my 12 yet, it fired right up this morning. Took a long time for the heater to warm up but other than that it fired right up and drove perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Platinumb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 10:28 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
Duramax Forum Supporter
Supporting Member

Definitely shouldn't need your block heater at that temperature for start-up purposes.
DE Downpipe|S&B Intake|AirDog II|FASS FF Delete|Amp Research Steps|Line-X|Bakflip G2
nfamus10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 10:47 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

My old ass LB7 started this morning and it was -17 so did my 2012 choker(work truck)...something cant be right thats not very cold....do they mix winter mix at the pumps down there??
Tie Rod Sleeves, Edge Insight CTS,8000k HID
Fastest 1/4 13.40@99MPH(stock trans)
My YouTube Channel
03wyolb7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 10:54 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

I would take it into the dealership you bought it from...definitely should start at that temp without having to be plugged in. Did you happen to be extremely low on fuel? I was thinking maybe the fuel gelled up.
Limo Tint All Around w/ Limo Brow
EDGE CTS Insight, Rancho Steering Stabilizer, Backup Camera
3/4" Lift via Torsion Bars (it was all I could get with stock keys), 285/65/18 Nitto Trail Grapplers
GoLight Stryker HID
XRT Pro on Tow with 4" Flo Pro Exhaust
Chevytuff19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 11:03 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
Map

I never use block heater and I live in -20 -30plus Celsius! Trust me its not the cold....use remote start with never ever plugging in and starts like a charm!

Sounds more like a fuel issue. Maybe you fuel filter is loose or seal is not on properly. Did you try priming it? maybe you have low fuel? Never let the tank sit overnight with less then half in it. As soon as it gets cold my rules are use the half tanks as the empty gauge for my diesel or gas engine. Condensation leads to messy situations. It's fine if your on a road trip but if your going to park it overnight fill her up!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
2011 LML crew, short box, full matte black wrap, Pro Comp nitro leveling, 305/60/18 ProComo AT xtreme,Pro Comp 7033 18's matte black, Bushwacker pocket fender, weather tec visors & mats,S&b CAI, MBRP 4"filter back black, Fabfours front-rear, smittybilt 12000x2o, Bedslide 1000pro, RigidIndustries all around and under! All wiredHDH
Oh and lots of Thule Racks!
Map is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 11:21 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

I plug my truck in at night and its only getting into the 20s here. Reason being, my batteries are getting weak. So they are having a hard time with the cold and start ups take a bit more out of them. Until I decide to replace them, its no big deal for me to plug it in. Doesn't hurt anything and has kept me from having to jump start the truck.
Adrenaline Truck Performance
Mad Jack Racing
jtyson8602 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 11:26 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Map View Post
I never use block heater and I live in -20 -30plus Celsius! Trust me its not the cold....use remote start with never ever plugging in and starts like a charm!

Sounds more like a fuel issue. Maybe you fuel filter is loose or seal is not on properly. Did you try priming it? maybe you have low fuel? Never let the tank sit overnight with less then half in it. As soon as it gets cold my rules are use the half tanks as the empty gauge for my diesel or gas engine. Condensation leads to messy situations. It's fine if your on a road trip but if your going to park it overnight fill her up!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Im with this guy^^^ Never below half and have only had to plug in my truck when it was -34F and it started after being plugged in for 30 mins....If they don't mix a winter diesel down there at the pumps you should run an anti-gel each tank...problem has to be fuel its not the truck
Tie Rod Sleeves, Edge Insight CTS,8000k HID
Fastest 1/4 13.40@99MPH(stock trans)
My YouTube Channel
03wyolb7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 02:36 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevytuff19 View Post
definitely should start at that temp without having to be plugged in.
This is my first diesel.....but if you don't need the block heater at 9 degrees to start this beast of a truck, when in the hell do you need the block heater? LOL

We had 12 inches of snow here a few weeks back and temps in the low 20's. My baby was outside (long story) and when I started her up, she turned over but slow and seemed labored......I think I might have had a problem if the batteries weren't new.

Even if it's not "needed" at that them, seems like it woudl help with oil flow at startup.

Tim
Old 01-14-2013, 02:55 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy390 View Post
This is my first diesel.....but if you don't need the block heater at 9 degrees to start this beast of a truck, when in the hell do you need the block heater? LOL

We had 12 inches of snow here a few weeks back and temps in the low 20's. My baby was outside (long story) and when I started her up, she turned over but slow and seemed labored......I think I might have had a problem if the batteries weren't new.

Even if it's not "needed" at that them, seems like it woudl help with oil flow at startup.

Tim
The 2011+ diesels were specifically designed to start in extremely cold climates without having to plug them in. It was 20 degrees F here this morning with a wind chill of ~10 degrees. My truck started right up without being plugged in.
Limo Tint All Around w/ Limo Brow
EDGE CTS Insight, Rancho Steering Stabilizer, Backup Camera
3/4" Lift via Torsion Bars (it was all I could get with stock keys), 285/65/18 Nitto Trail Grapplers
GoLight Stryker HID
XRT Pro on Tow with 4" Flo Pro Exhaust
Chevytuff19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.