Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

2013 Silverado STRANDED due to DEF parts unavailability

8K views 45 replies 20 participants last post by  LMLDenaliHD 
#1 ·
Last week, check engine light came on, followed in a few miles by DIC message stating "Exhaust Fluid Quality Poor"; and put us on the countdown to limp mode. Chevy dealer identified issue as DEF tank heater delivering low amps during system test that occurs periodically while starting up/running.

The REAL problem here is that there are NO PARTS AVAILABLE to fix this issue; the original part has been discontinued, and the new part has not yet been certified.

WTH????? This is my ONLY VEHICLE!!!

GM and federal government (EPA) have determined that the PENDING failure of a part THAT IS NOT EVEN USED 99.9% OF THE TIME (only needed when temperature is frigid) should shutdown my truck??? THE DEF SYSTEM IS STILL WORKING - THE EMISSIONS ARE FINE!!! DON'T SHUT DOWN MY TRUCK!!!

I am a full-time RVer - I depend on my truck 100% to get me where I am going. I do NOT want to be stranded by my truck for such stupid reasons!!!

GM - get with the program and get your parts available. Punish your suppliers if you must, but non-availability of parts that are REQUIRED FOR TRUCKS TO RUN is absolutely unacceptable!!!! Don't implement stuff that you can't fix!!! Don't sell trucks if you don't intend to stock parts!!!

EPA - This is fallout from the nanny state trying to micro-manage every last smudge of soot emitted into the atmosphere. STOP MANDATING THAT PEOPLE BE STRANDED WHEN THESE OVER-COMPLICATED EMISSIONS SYSTEMS START TO BREAK DOWN. Handle it through inspection, not through FORCED SHUTDOWNS.

FORD - for better or for worse, I am heading your way. If I don't like the answers I get regarding YOUR DEF system, your parts management, etc., then I'll be switching back to a gas truck. Although I love my diesel, I'm not going keep owning one if they can't stay on the road.

TOYOTA, NISSAN, MERCEDES, ETC. - Here's your big chance. Get into the big truck arena and do a better job than the competition, and people will buy your trucks. Good luck!! We are all rooting for you!!

2013 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 80,000 miles.

See less See more
#2 ·
All of these emission system problems are not GM-specific. Let's get that out of the way... Ford has the same amount of trouble as Dodge, who has the same amount as GM. Selling your truck and buying a Ford just resets the timer on your warranty and amount of miles you must endure at the mercy of another faulty emissions system equipped truck.

If I were in your shoes, I would just get rid of the emissions system. Get an EFI live tune, an exhaust system, and an EGR blocker plate. You'll enjoy better fuel economy, more power (or not, depending on what tune you choose), and a reliable truck that will last hundreds of thousands of miles.

Much of your emissions system warranty runs out at 80,000 miles anyway. I would not be shelling out money and waiting on a dealership to replace emission parts just to salvage the last 20,000 miles of power train warranty. But that's just me.

If you're one of those who must retain the emissions system on your truck, for whatever reason, you might consider waiting a little while until the 2017 Duramax details are released. There has been talk and speculation of a different style of emission system that may not require DEF fluid.

I'm sorry that you've had to go through this with your truck, like so many other people have. Best of luck to you!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#4 ·
Ctrl/Alt /Delete!.....:)

#5 ·
yeah I asked this earlier on his previous post.......you can eliminate all of those problems and love your truck again.....just shoot me a pm when you are ready for that move......:thumb

#6 ·
mtp88, I'm in the same boat as you. I have 86,500 miles on my 2012 Silverado and it's been down at the dealer for 3 weeks exactly to the day for the bad DEF message. So far they have replaced the DEF tank, both NOx sensors, performed 10 forced regens and tested the exhaust fluid at least 4 times. All of it has cost me nothing so far including the rental car. The tech has been in touch with GM on a regular basis. They move at a snails pace. I have a trailer to pull this Friday and may have to cancel that. Very frustrating process.

#7 ·
@DM2059 @mtp88 May i ask if you guys are waiting for the 100K power train warranty to run out before you make a move for deletes? or you just dont want to spend the coin right now? curious....

#22 ·
For me, it is a little bit of both....it's the principle of the thing with GM....and would prefer to use up the warranty if feasible - not fanatic about it at this point, as at 80k the warranty is winding down. Also, I am new to the diesel world (this is my first diesel truck), not a mechanic, so I have been trying to stick with stock as long as it makes sense. (Looking less realistic to work for the warranty and to stay stock every day).

So, a few of the posts have provided some hints of mods that can be done to address the issue outside of the GM umbrella (strait-jacket?). If y'all don't mind, I've got a few questions about this that I'd like to pose to the forum.

What are the typical changes made to deal with the DEF/exhaust system issues? Typical installation costs for parts/labor? Downside risks?

Are there other changes that should be considered to deal with other chronic problems experienced by these trucks?

What type of shop is best equipped to tackle these changes? Best way to find?

If changes are made, can/will Chevy dealers work on the modified systems?

We travel extensively and are usually "out of town" when service needs to be done....if Chevy dealers won't work on the systems, is it feasible to find shops to do the work while traveling?

Thanks all, really appreciate your support.

#9 ·
My dad's truck just went into the shop today for the same thing. 2014 with 70k. First trouble he's had from it. They put him in a 16 4x4 with a gooseneck hitch to use until they could find parts for his. I'm trying to talk him into going back to pick his truck up and bring it by my house where I'll be waiting with the sawzall....

#10 ·
:rofl.....they are trying to get him to buy a new one......Let me know if you need the goodies to do that with lol

#11 ·
It's not the money at all for me. It's the warranty. The service advisor at the dealership is a friend. He tells me what he has seen in the 3 1/2 months since he started. The cp4 replacement because of water in the fuel, a few TCM's, thermostats with ECM replacement(me again). The biggest complaint by far is the bad DEF message. Since I drive mine all day for work I always strive to be in a warranty situation. The 2017 with the new motor and front end has me waiting more than anything.
With that said, if they don't clear this bad DEF code soon I'm going to have to delete it now and piss on the warranty. I need my truck back!

#14 ·
The cp4 is by far the biggest concern I have now.. But if that shit out right now they prob wouldn't cove the entire cost anyways... Running an additive can surely help with worrying about water.. at least thats what I do.. the TCM's look like 300+ w/ a dealer re-flash but not sure about the ECM costs.. Your at a crossroad right now and yah It would piss anyone of us off if the truck was down.. Gonna be time to make a decision soon unfortunately.. I hope all works out for ya anyways whatever route you decide to go..

#12 ·
Will do Lyle. I already have a pile of goodies in the garage waiting for time to put on my truck. Only thing I'm missing is the tunes. I might have to start stocking back up again if I can convince him to come over to the dark side. Only thing holding him back is he usually trades every 3 or 4 years.

#15 ·
He also may not be able to do it due to the state he lives in has those stupid bunny loving, tree hugger emissions tests.
My 2011 gave me a NoX code and the dealer cleared it and told me to drive it. About 5 months later the trans locked in 3rd gear, over $3k for a new TCM (warranty). 6 months later the NoX comes back on, dealer replaced it and 90 miles after that the DEF tank crapped the farm. 6 weeks later the CEL comes back on with an EGR code. Dealer tried to jam me for $2300 saying it was out of warranty. Fortunately for me I have a stack of letters from GM extending warranty on many parts/issues. Got the EGR repaired and went to buy a Dodge. Different story for a different day, but I walked away from that scratch and dent model pissed. 4 days later the 11 was traded in and a brand new 15 is sitting in my garage.
I fear all I have done is delayed the same issues the 2011 had but if/when it happens someone at GM will be spank

#16 ·
@Lake Huron LML Yah that dealer cost $3k for a tcm is a crock of shit.. They are >$300 even through Amazon and then needing a dealer re-flash..(prob $100) for flash.. Dont get me going on tree-huggers :poke[1]: :) but yes, your right about emissions states.. Let me just say anyway that'd id happily pay Lyle for EFI live anyday over one BS trip to the stealership... Few beers, few block plates, load some tunes and yee haha.. Lyle is prob lurking around as we speak..:rofl

#17 ·
I should have specified, all those repairs were under warranty. But you're right, the prices are all a bunch of shit.
I did ALMOST pull the trigger on doing the deletes, but the wife gave me the 100% go ahead to pull the trigger on a new truck. Well, more like she made me dump it and get a new truck. Lol! Gotta love her for that! She didn't care what it was either. She was just sick of it going to the dealer.

#18 ·
Does your wife have any sisters? :poke[1]::rofl

#19 ·
Nope. Sorry, otherwise I'd send them your way.She was adopted and both her parents are passed away. Kinda a win win for me. None of them in-law fights/issues/problems. Nice and quiet. No drama. No bullshit. Just the way I like it. Lol

#20 ·
Ooooh jesus. Im sorry and I apologize for that comment.. I didnt know and never meant any disrespect to you or your wife. I guess sometimes we all need a filter on our cakehole prior to opening it... my bad.

#21 ·
Oh, dude! No worries! No apologies! It's all good!
I thought it was pretty funny actually. I got the best sense of humor out there! She's a good person and honestly, if she did have a sister, I'd still send her your way! Lmao!

#24 ·
If you need a DEF tank I can send you the one off my 15.. just pay the ride.

#25 ·
Last week, check engine light came on, followed in a few miles by DIC message stating "Exhaust Fluid Quality Poor"; and put us on the countdown to limp mode. Chevy dealer identified issue as DEF tank heater delivering low amps during system test that occurs periodically while starting up/running.

The REAL problem here is that there are NO PARTS AVAILABLE to fix this issue; the original part has been discontinued, and the new part has not yet been certified.
DAY 9 WITHOUT OUR TRUCK - we have been in contact almost daily with the dealer. They continue to guess at the availability of the part, but it is clear that they have no idea when the part will become available. Talked to GM Customer Service this morning - they were no help whatsoever. They hadn't heard of the issue, and had no understanding of the "countdown" process that is occurring in this situation, that is keeping our truck off the road. They had no visibility to the lack of availability of parts that has caused our truck to be stranded.

GM - the lack of parts availability is making you look bad!!! We've got stuff to do, and we can't do it because we don't have our truck!! This problem is deeply disturbing, and the people that should be able to help - the dealer and GM Customer Service - are floundering with this - they haven't been able to help at all with understanding the timing of resolution. For all we know, it could be weeks or months before this is resolved. WHAT CAN YOU DO ABOUT THIS??

#28 ·
Delete it......the bad thing is, if/when they do get it fixed, it's likely to happen again with all crap on there......trust me, when you finally delete it you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner!! :thumb

Reactions: 06blackmax
#29 ·
Interesting, as my son has also been trying to talk me into getting ride of the emissions and tuning it. However, what about vehicle inspections, don't they check the emissions to make sure it is intact, and some cities check the exhaust coming out of the vehicle. Love to hear about these.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.