DEF/UREA Check The Date - Page 2 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2011+ LML Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2011, 11:38 AM   eBay Motors  #11 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

I wondered about that up here where it gets down to around -20,-30 pretty regularly in the winter. Most of the loggers refuse to buy new diesels because of this stuff possibly freezing and causing problems with them 20-30 miles from the nearest highway in the middle of the woods. Has anyone had freeze related problems?
ironman_gq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2011, 12:38 PM   eBay Motors  #12 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

Regarding DEF shelf life, Air Shield by Valvoline doesn't date stamp the container but instead stamps a batch code. When I was checking into this with Valvoline they told me I could call them with the batch code and they would tell me the date. What a crock for a product that has shelf life sensitivity. Let's get them to change to a date stamp instead of batch code!
Power to the people!!!
Old 04-25-2011, 12:51 PM   eBay Motors  #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gripnriprod View Post
Regarding DEF shelf life, Air Shield by Valvoline doesn't date stamp the container but instead stamps a batch code. When I was checking into this with Valvoline they told me I could call them with the batch code and they would tell me the date. What a crock for a product that has shelf life sensitivity. Let's get them to change to a date stamp instead of batch code!
Power to the people!!!
probably should have a best before date---all other products that expire do.....

anyway, we had constant problem with the def equiped trucks this winter in northern labrador/quebec...... fro the chevys, peterbuilts etc they all had troubles and the intank heater isnt worth a damn at -50c....

2013 LML CC
additions to come soon....
djmercer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2011, 01:34 PM   eBay Motors  #14 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmercer1 View Post
probably should have a best before date---all other products that expire do.....
but there is no set date at when it will go bad, it depends on the sotrage of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman_gq View Post
I wondered about that up here where it gets down to around -20,-30 pretty regularly in the winter. Most of the loggers refuse to buy new diesels because of this stuff possibly freezing and causing problems with them 20-30 miles from the nearest highway in the middle of the woods. Has anyone had freeze related problems?
yes there have been freezing related issues
Durallymax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2011, 11:31 AM   eBay Motors  #15 (permalink)

I have purchased Peak Blue DEF and DEF from a local diesel shop and neither had "use by" or production dates on them. Guess I'll store it my basement where it stays cool all year long.

2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD CCLB SRW LTZ 4X4 DA Blue Granite Metallic, Bed Rug bed liner, Luverne SS running boards, PML diff. cover, Air Lift air bags, Handy fifth wheel tail gate.
Towing: 2009 Montana Mountaineer 347THT Toy Hauler.
Previous DAs:
2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 CCLB SRW LT 4X4 DA Silver Birch Metallic
2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD EXLB SE 4X4 DA Sand Beige Metallic
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2011, 09:39 PM   eBay Motors  #16 (permalink)

Thanx for the info

Sum1Zombie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2011, 12:05 PM   eBay Motors  #17 (permalink)

Bought a 2.5 gallon jug at Wallyworld last night with a March 2011 date. After I removed the cap, there was some dried-crystalized residue around the spout. I assumed this is normal but its the first time I've seen it so I thought I'd mention it.
domano 68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2011, 12:11 PM   eBay Motors  #18 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

That is normal.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:34 AM   eBay Motors  #19 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by domano 68 View Post
Bought a 2.5 gallon jug at Wallyworld last night with a March 2011 date. After I removed the cap, there was some dried-crystalized residue around the spout. I assumed this is normal but its the first time I've seen it so I thought I'd mention it.
What brand did you buy that had a date? Wally sells bluedef in Alaska and I haven't seen a date, just codes. The stuff crystallizes. I see it with whatever little I slop and miss wiping up.

Love this truck. Did a trip this spring with the truck camper. 9200 miles and not a problem of any kind except for the OnStar Calling. They couldn't get me a number that worked. That's fixed and a year of free calling for my trouble.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:29 AM   eBay Motors  #20 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

some have dates some have codes you can call in and have them look up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.