Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Turbo Whistle

31K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  Ffnusser 
#1 ·
Question for you guys:

I have a '16 Silverado 2500 Dmax. Id like to make the turbo whistle louder for no other reason than I like the sound.

Is this possible? Would it be stupid as far as reducing mechanical integrity?

Appreciate your thoughts.

#2 ·
Put a cold air intake on it. On my last one I installed an S&B cold air intake and changed the S&B filter out to a Donaldson Powercore filter to make it filter at a higher level of protection.

#4 ·
Only way to get noticeable turbo sound is to tune/remove the stock exhaust.

#6 ·
It makes the turbo whistle a lot more noticeable. Just remember once you tune you void your warranty.

#8 ·
Then leave it as is.
You could spend your money on a CAI & or remove the turbo resonator (the pastic box that says 'Duramax 6.6' on top of the engine) & plug it, but you wont hear much noticeable turbo whistle.

Reactions: SilverGorillaLML
#10 ·
Really won't pick up much noticeable sound, unfortunately, without deleting and tuning it. MAYBE a cat back exhaust would help, I haven't looked into them at all, but may be a place to look. Regardless the air intake is beneficial and definitely worth the buy

#12 ·
You can do it yourself, it's super easy. Around $1000 just for an exhaust and tuning, I'm not sure who all is writing LML deleting tunes anymore, I know Kory from PPEI still does though. If you got a lot of time on your warranty, then I would reccomend keeping it. But if you got the need for speed, and the means to fix it if it breaks (CP4 failure on the LML is common) then delete it and for peace of mind should get a cp3 conversion kit.

But deleting and installing the exhaust and tunes is childs-play work that any first-timer can handle

#15 ·
yeah you gotta make a gut call, cause once you delete theres really no way to revert it and get back under your warranty. maybe ride it out for another 30-40k and see if anything is gonna break prematurely

#18 · (Edited)
^Adding tuning alone wont add turbo whistle w/ the stock exhaust still in place.

#19 ·
Yeah the free-flowing exhaust system and deletes really don't dissipate sound without a muffler/resonator = loud noises and a panty dropping whistle

Reactions: mcd_57
#20 ·
^X2. Also mall chicks go crazy for the hiss & rumble tune sounds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.