DEF system has put truck out of operation - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2011+ LML Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2010, 08:47 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

DEF system has put truck out of operation

Sunday started with 297 mile warning. Monday added 2.5 gallons. Continued to count down the miles. Today left at the dealer with "DEF will be empty SOON". Very disappointing and maddening. One bulletin indicated to drop and drain tank and contact, i think it was Tech 2 to get a new program. Download the program to ECM. Remove new program and reinstall original program. Makes no sence to me. The bulletin indicated this could take some time waiting for the new program that needs to be vehicle specific.
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2010, 08:56 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
oh yaaaaaaaaaa

do you have to reset it like oil life when you fill it up?
EFI Live, AFE hot/cold intercooler tubes, SDP EGR delete,5" MBRP straight pipe, 3" Diamondeye Downpipe, Bills custom intake, AFE turbo mouthpiece, Edge CTS Insight, Recon taillights, cab lights, and tailgate light bar, 8000K HID's, PacBrake Air bags, 06 grille, Reflexxion Cowl hood, Pioneer 3100 double din,
Click picture to be redirected to Meyerperformance.com
Price match Guarantee!
kman2468 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2010, 09:13 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
Rara Avis
Lifetime Supporting Member

GM Techlink: Search Results

Responding to Diesel Exhaust Fluid Messages
By Blog Post on July 1, 2010 4:36 PM

The exhaust aftertreatment technology of the new Duramax 6.6L diesel engine available on the 2011 Silverado and Sierra trucks and 2010 interim and 2011 Express and Savana vans features the use of Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF).

The DEF system must be refilled periodically in order to maintain proper operation. Refer to the June edition of TechLink for details on DEF system operation.

The DEF required for emission reduction is contained in a 5.3 gallon (20 liter) reservoir, providing a range of approximately 5,000 miles (8,000 km) between refills. If the DEF is not refilled, the vehicle's speed will be limited.

The Driver Information Center (DIC) will provide the driver with current information about the DEF system operation and range. These messages include:

· EXHAUST FLUID RANGE: 1000 MI

· EXHAUST FLUID RANGE: 300 MI

Below 300 miles (500 km) of range, the range message or speed limiting messages will appear every time the vehicle is started.

TIP: DEF should be added prior to receiving an Exhaust Fluid Empty DIC message; however, it may take several miles of driving for the DIC message to update.

With an empty DEF tank, limited speed messages will be displayed:

· 55 MPH MAX SPEED UPON RESTART (Vehicle speed limited to 55 mph (89 km/h) at the next restart.) (Fig. 7)

· 4 MPH MAX SPEED NEXT FUEL FILL (Vehicle speed limited to 4 mph (7 km/h) after the second fuel fill without refilling the DEF tank.)

Fig. 7

If the Exhaust Fluid Empty message is displayed:

· When refilling, more than one gallon of DEF must be added to release the vehicle from speed limitation.

· Wait for up to 30 seconds with the engine running for the Exhaust Fluid Empty DIC message to clear.

· If the vehicle is driven prior to the Exhaust Fluid Empty message clearing, the vehicle will still be speed limited.

· If the Exhaust Fluid Empty message clears while driving, the vehicle must be brought to a complete stop to release the speed limitation.

If DEF is added under freezing conditions, additional time may be required to release speed limitations.

The DIC also provides similar warning messages for poor quality of DEF and tampering of the DEF system.

I used to own an ant farm but had to give it up. I couldn't find tractors small enough to fit it.
-- Steven Wright

NRA Benefactor

2007 GMC 3500 C&C with Hillsboro Aluminum Flatbed
2008 GMC 3500 Crewcab SLT
2012 GMC 1500 Crewcab SLT
2007 Saturn Sky Redline
PaulChristenson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2010, 09:56 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
I'm That Guy...

Anybody have problems with DEF in freezing conditions?

CLICK TO READ: FORUM RULES OR DF STAFF!

Thank you Rob Coddens (Idaho Rob), Dustin @ ATP, Scott @ SDP, Kory Willis, and Mike L. for all of your help!

05 LLY CCSB 4wd - Mods coming (Truck Love from ATP Trucks and Copperhead Diesel expected soon)
SOLD: 05 LLY, 05 LLY, 09 LMM, 02 LB7

Build Threads : 2005 Chevy Silverado | 1978 Ford Bronco (Sister Site)
TDFDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2010, 10:46 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

do you have access to anymore info from TechLink?
Old 12-30-2010, 06:59 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

Truck is back in operation as today

Wednesday dealer contacted Techline. Thursday A.M. Techline returned call to dealer. Dealer was told to drain DEF tank, flash ECM with special service only reset VCI calibration supplied by Techline working with Diesel Calibration Team, refill tank, start truck to clear warning message, shut down, reinstall original ECM calibration, start truck and check to ensure warning cleared. IT DID NOT WORK-MESSAGE REAPPEARED Techline line informed dealer to repeat entire procedure, if the same warning appeared they said the truck would need a new computer, which are on back order with no ETA available. I got lucky, after the second "round" the message cleared. Gotta love it
Old 12-30-2010, 07:08 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
Rara Avis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed B View Post
Wednesday dealer contacted Techline. Thursday A.M. Techline returned call to dealer. Dealer was told to drain DEF tank, flash ECM with special service only reset VCI calibration supplied by Techline working with Diesel Calibration Team, refill tank, start truck to clear warning message, shut down, reinstall original ECM calibration, start truck and check to ensure warning cleared. IT DID NOT WORK-MESSAGE REAPPEARED Techline line informed dealer to repeat entire procedure, if the same warning appeared they said the truck would need a new computer, which are on back order with no ETA available. I got lucky, after the second "round" the message cleared. Gotta love it
...it seems DEF is NOT READY FOR PRIME TIME...

I used to own an ant farm but had to give it up. I couldn't find tractors small enough to fit it.
-- Steven Wright

NRA Benefactor

2007 Saturn Sky Redline
Old 12-30-2010, 07:18 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
Rara Avis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed B View Post
do you have access to anymore info from TechLink?
GO HERE and enter what you are looking for SEARCH box...this search was currently DEF
GM Techlink: Search Results

-- Steven Wright

NRA Benefactor

2007 Saturn Sky Redline
Old 12-30-2010, 07:54 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

Issues like this is why I refuse to buy a first model year when major upgrades have been made.
2002 Polaris 600RMK 136" (hers)
http://www.getsomeperformance.com/
http://www.performancetruckproducts.com/

Home of the Free because of the Brave
Richracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2010, 07:05 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

I love the line about adding DEF in freezing conditions. The warning will not reset no matter how long you let the truck run unless you leave the truck in a heated garage for a few hours. I found that out the hard way. GM had their heads up their asses on this system. I would rather have had less power than all the problems! Dodge may have taken the proper route with this after all.

If anyone is interested, I am going to get rid of my truck and buy either a Ford or a Dodge within the next month or two. I am sick of GM's crap customer no service.
2011 short crew LTZ LML - current - Wish I bought anything other than another GM

New Ford is on order. Hope you get your crap together GM!
Kawtipping is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.