what year duramax to get? (he bought an '11) - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2011+ LML Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2011, 10:52 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

what year duramax to get? (he bought an '11)

I have been following the threads of the particulate emissions problems on more than one website. I picked Chev because it is the most comfortable truck and the Allison trans. We won't be driving it much, mostly to haul my wifes horse around. The Ford 7.3 is good truck, but uncomfortable and manual trans. I see all the problems with mostly the DEF on the chevys. I don't need a call from my wife that the truck has some type of emission problem. I have 3 questions. When did Chev install the particulate stuff --2008? Are the pre-particulate duramax engines/allison trans as good as a 2011? Are they as good riding as the new ones? I really need some help, we want a new truck, but don't want to buy a problem!!
jp1gt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2011, 10:58 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
saw what you did there
Lifetime Supporting Member

LBZ - DOC = 2006 -2007
LMM - DOC & DPF = 2007.5-2010
LML - DOC (?) DPF & DEF = 2011 +

LBZ is very popular, and now more affordable..
LML is also popular, and the emissions stuff is easily defeated.
LML is brand new, no aftermarket stuff available yet.... Super nice trucks though, increased capacity and towing, etc.
6K Lows, 3K Fogs, Tint.
CLICK BEFORE YOU POST!

theunderlord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2011, 11:01 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

I'd say LBZ as well. they're all great but LBZ has the least amount of stuff to deal with and considered the most desirable used one.

LML is super nice, completely worked over engine, beefed up front suspension and tranny (apparently) but they are spendy $$$$
my "build" thread
Raptor color match thread
ATP Trucks
lddrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2011, 11:04 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
Banned

Get a low mileage LMM (07.5 TO 10) and remove the D (deliberate) P (pilfering) F (fuel), block the egr, reroute the pcv, and install a small tow tune. And you will have the reliabilty of the older diesels with the great ride and features of the newer ones.
smokinlmm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2011, 01:08 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the info, so a 2008-10 are the same? When did chevy start the DEF? One other problem is that it is hard to find a extended cab with a long bed. I am not worried about the price of a new one (exactly what I want, color etc) as I can order one for 43K OTD. I wish this could be a lot simpler. I was working on cars in the early 80's and it took almost 10 years to start making good cars again. It is a little scary ordering a new one, hearing all of the electronic problems of the 2011.

Last edited by jp1gt; 01-03-2011 at 01:41 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:10 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
saw what you did there

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1gt View Post
Thanks for the info, so a 2008-10 are the same? I wish this could be a lot simpler. I was working on cars in the early 80's and it took almost 10 years to start making good cars again.
2007.5 - 2010 are the same engine code yes..

2007.5 to current are GMT-900 aka "NBS" aka New Body Style.
6K Lows, 3K Fogs, Tint.
CLICK BEFORE YOU POST!

theunderlord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2011, 07:49 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1gt View Post
Thanks for the info, so a 2008-10 are the same? When did chevy start the DEF? One other problem is that it is hard to find a extended cab with a long bed. I am not worried about the price of a new one (exactly what I want, color etc) as I can order one for 43K OTD. I wish this could be a lot simpler. I was working on cars in the early 80's and it took almost 10 years to start making good cars again. It is a little scary ordering a new one, hearing all of the electronic problems of the 2011.
You going to order an 11 for that price?
RiverRockWellness is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2011, 07:59 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
05 lly

Lbz
s and b intake
egr deleted
ppe ported fuel rail fitting prv shimmed cp3 pump fitting
ppe hot +2
arp head studs
auto meter sport comp 2 boost and pyro on a pillar
resonator blocked off
pcv reroute
rglasgow18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2011, 08:04 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

Yes, a 2011, I ordered it, there are dealers that will give steep discount now. It will be a stripper by most standards, duramax,towing package, interior package, but we will drive it only when we need a truck. Overall, I think that the 2011 is the way to go and GM will have 5 years to get it right under warranty. I have some friends that have late model Dodges that never know when the thing will quit. It seems that most of the DEF problems are in real cold weather. I wish it was an easy decision but it is not.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:14 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

If you want to join the majority of the fastest, then you want an LB7
2001 Chevy CC/SB 4WD EFI Live DSP 5, LBZ Short Block, Cut LB7 Pistons,keyed crank and cam, balanced,LBZ Intake Runners with RDL Shorty Y-Bridge, EPR Twins, Big Dipper 40% overs, MBRP Cool Duals, LBZ CP3, ADII, BD Manifold, C2 Gauges, H2 Wheels, Cognito Sleeves and Braces, Hids-Hi-Low-Fogs.
Sheet Metal Workers Local #22
If it's not made in America, YOU paid too much!
Creatures of The Night Performance and ProFab Performance
Vrabel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.