Diesel Exhaust Fluid issue hopefully resolved - Page 15 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2011+ LML Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 12:20 PM   eBay Motors  #141 (permalink)

After 39k of flawless miles with 2011 duramax. I'm now getting the DEF quality poor also. On the first go round i was able to clear the problem with 70mph runs, then the CEL light came on after the quality light was gone. Took it to the dealer at 39k they did the re flash and all was well for about 2000 miles.

Now at 41k and quality poor is back on. cleared it with 70 mph run. Light is now off, but still went to dealer. Dealer says not running GM DEF fluid is causing the light. Which I think is total BS since I have been using blue DEF for the life of the truck. Dealer is running on tech 2 now to see if anything else shows up. Will report back on that

Does anyone have the bulletin for NOX Sensor change?

Anyone have problem come back after NOX sensors were changed??
Ranger007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2013, 01:27 PM   eBay Motors  #142 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Yes they change my front nox sensor...light came back on...they changed my rear nox sensor...light came back on....then last fix, they cleaned def injector, so far so good...but I'm trading it in next week on a 1500 6.2 L gas engine with max tow package, I've lost all trust in my truck, nervous to even take it out of town
Old 02-25-2013, 01:29 PM   eBay Motors  #143 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Same thing happened to me here in FL the first time I had the Poor Quality DEF warning. I was charged $140 to have the fluid drained and replaced. I guess I got off easy compared to you. After the 3rd trip back when they changed the rear NOx sensor, I argued to be reimbursed for that $140 because the fluid was obviously not the problem. I got the same BS about "All we can do is follow the diagnostic procedure..". No matter how much I argued they wouldn't budge.
I like the truck but really hate this DEF problem and the way GM service has decided to handle it. Piss poor and if this problem continues there is no way I'll buy another GM vehicle.. ever.
BTW - my truck is a 2011 2500HD with just under 11K miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphippsjr View Post
What I have tried arguing withe the dealer and customer service. I had to pay $353 because they had to drain my DEF tank when the fluid quality was not the cause of the of the code. The only thing the dealer has to go by on fluid quality is what "the truck tells them". They don't sample and analyze the fluid, they just dump it and put fresh in. Therefore it is "not covered under warranty since it is a fluid I add". When the code comes back in a few months it will be the same issue. Not fixing the problem, just clearing the code and charging me. If their solution is to drain it and add fresh every time, why not put a drain plug so I can do it myself? Or hey, better yet why not go through the entire system and fix it and get it right. They have no basis on using poor quality fluid as an excuse. The truck does not have a fluid analyzer, it has NOx sensors (or analyzers) which analyze the amount of nitrogen oxides in the exhaust, not the quality of the DEF. So when the NOx level reads high and the sensor reads to be good, it is automatically assumed to be the quality of the exhaust fluid. For GM to charge me for this, they should have some way to test the fluid, not just say "the truck told me so" (the service manager's words).

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 02-25-2013, 03:54 PM   eBay Motors  #144 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra2500HD View Post
Same thing happened to me here in FL the first time I had the Poor Quality DEF warning. I was charged $140 to have the fluid drained and replaced. I guess I got off easy compared to you. After the 3rd trip back when they changed the rear NOx sensor, I argued to be reimbursed for that $140 because the fluid was obviously not the problem. I got the same BS about "All we can do is follow the diagnostic procedure..". No matter how much I argued they wouldn't budge.
I like the truck but really hate this DEF problem and the way GM service has decided to handle it. Piss poor and if this problem continues there is no way I'll buy another GM vehicle.. ever.
BTW - my truck is a 2011 2500HD with just under 11K miles.
Yeah, I hate to say it, but this will probably be my last GM truck. I really liked my truck until all of this BS. GM customer service was absolutely no help at all! They side with the dealership and blow off the customer (and called me a liar in the process). I'm not sure what the GM customer rep (Michelle) on here is doing other than reading all of our rants. She needs to let her GM bosses know that they are losing customers over this damned exhaust issue. I asked the service advisor at my dealer if they would refund my $353 when the truck does it on their fluid and of course they said "no". And obvioously they raped me on the charge to drain the tank. How can it only cost $140 in Florida and $350 in Louisiana? Can you answer that Michelle @GMCustomerService ?

No more diUREA, no more DPF!!!

"It is when people forget God that tyrants forge their chains." (Patrick Henry)
jphippsjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 06:43 PM   eBay Motors  #145 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmeyer414 View Post
you know, the more i think about getting rid of my LBZ for something new, i just pull up threads like this and i am reminded why i keep ol girl.
X2... I have enough emissions fun on my wifes TDI...

Sent from my GT-P3113 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
295/70/R18 Nitto Terra's on Black XD797 SPY's
Rancho 9000XL's all the way around
ISSPRO EV2 Gauges w/Overhead Console Mount
MBRP 4" Exhaust w/ProFab DP
AirDogII and CatFilter w/Adapater
ARE Camper Shell.

ARIZONA DIESEL CLUB
Matchrocket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 04:03 PM   eBay Motors  #146 (permalink)

NOx sensor #2 replaced today

tech note says sensor 2 read erratic between 36PPm and 9PPm, replaced and reset NOx sensor 2

I hope this fixed the problem
Old 04-14-2013, 08:12 AM   eBay Motors  #147 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENALI HD3500 View Post
Nox sensors are not located on the DEF tank, they are in the exhaust stream,. If you do lots of idleing or short trips , you are likely to get these messages again. I have 163,000 miles on my LML now 100% stock and never had a CEL or DEF quality issue yet. My truck is almost always towing and is run hot every trip it goes out, i think this is why i have never had a single issue with the emissions.
Just curious, what does the truck consider a "short trip"?
Old 04-14-2013, 08:21 AM   eBay Motors  #148 (permalink)

I fixed my problem by trading it in on a gas 1500.
Wish gmc would step up on these problems.

Traded 2011 GMC Sierra 2500 SLT 4wd with Duramax and Allison 6 speed.GMC Cargo Management toolbox and tonneau cover. Nitto Crossteks 275-70-18.
Daystar 2 '' Level in front.

CMS Toolbox is for sale in South Fla.
gregmp15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2013, 08:53 AM   eBay Motors  #149 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Me too...I traded in ny LML for a brand new 2013 1500 with the 6.2 NHT package
Old 08-10-2013, 09:51 PM   eBay Motors  #150 (permalink)

Well, back at it again. I had the truck in the shop in July for a check engine light. They replaced the DEF tank because the temperature sensor in the DEF tank went out. They said the sensor can't be ordered separate from the tank, so they had to order a whole new tank w/sensor. I had the truck for a total of 20 days and it's telling me I'm out of DEF fluid when the tank is full. So, it's back at the shop and I'm waiting for an answer. Only 32000 miles and this is my 4th time without my truck because GM can't build a decent quality truck. I'm either pulling the exhaust system and voiding the warranty or I'm selling it and getting a Ford. Thanks for fixing our trucks GM...thanks for nothing!!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

No more diUREA, no more DPF!!!

"It is when people forget God that tyrants forge their chains." (Patrick Henry)
jphippsjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.