Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Diesel Exhaust Fluid issue hopefully resolved

77K views 161 replies 41 participants last post by  msdunkel 
#1 · (Edited)
My DEF system never did read how much DEF I actually had in the tank. Hopefully got it fixed today and I did learn a few new things that GM sent out to the mechanics very recently. This could be stuff you already know, but I doesn't hurt to try to give some facts.

The new GM suggestion for when to add DEF is when the 1st warning light is activated and your DIC reads Exhaust Fluid Range: 1000. They suggest to add 3.5 gallons at that time. You must drive the truck for a while to get the system to read the level again. If the DIC doesn't clear then after you shut the truck off for 5 minutes it SHOULD clear the system.

If your truck does what mine did and what quite a few others have done, the system won't read the change and your range will continue to fall. You must get it fixed or you will lose speed and power when you get under 75 miles left. The mechanic must drain the tank and put in a new calibration system. The new system came out 1/13/2011 is what the papers showed.

Hopefully your new truck won't run into the DEF issues. I can't really answer any questions because I'm no mechanic. I'm just trying to spread word on what I was told and what information I saw.

#97 ·
I'm a bit scared of living in Texas and not knowing if my 11 is affected by the emissions problems. I'm hoping that we get a very cold day so I can check it out. It sounds like most of the problems happen in cold weather.

I see ppl writing that their DIC says the % of def left. Is this an upgrade on the 12 or 13? Mine doesn't. Will the edge insight show this measure?

#100 ·
dropped my truck of yesterday to the dealer so they could fix the problem. They called this morning and said the parts to fix my truck are on national back order and they won't have them until January 21. The dealer first work on the truck on Dec 14 2012 for the same problem. GM is really on top of this one.
It is time for GM to step up and resolve this problem. Just might have to get rid of this truck. o wait can't sell something that is a piece of s__t.

#104 ·
so you are the one in many that needs a rear nox sensor.

been there done that and gm paid for my inconvenience.

again, I would ask that GM find out what is wrong with these nox sensors and then do a recall. If you look on-line these rear nox sensors are in the $400 retail price range.

gm do you have anything to say about this????

#107 ·
Well, mine is now limited to 55mph. Man this sucks! This is the 3rd time for it to throw the P20EE code and now it is telling me poor quality exhaust fluid. I keep saying I'm waiting until the warranty is up to do the DPF and urea delete, but I've about had it with these GM emissions system problems!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

#109 ·
Nox sensors are not located on the DEF tank, they are in the exhaust stream,. If you do lots of idleing or short trips , you are likely to get these messages again. I have 163,000 miles on my LML now 100% stock and never had a CEL or DEF quality issue yet. My truck is almost always towing and is run hot every trip it goes out, i think this is why i have never had a single issue with the emissions.

#110 ·
the dealer said they replaced the sensors on the def tank. It should not matter if the truck idles or is pulling. I pull a 40' toyhauler camper with mine and a dump trailer. not every time it goes out but at least half of the miles are from pulling. So i don't think that is the problem. There are alot of these trucks out there that don't pull anything so are all of them having the problem. If it was that simple GM should have figured that out by now and resolved it.

#111 ·
I agree. I pull a 36' toy hauler every now and then, but most of my driving is commuting to work. It shouldn't matter if I have to idle for long periods. I understand that is the problem, but GM should have taken that into consideration. Not all trucks haul all day everyday.
Mine was in the shop all day. They're running diagnostics trying to figure out the problem. Surely they know the issue. The service advisor even said she's had several come in with the same issue.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

#112 ·
I had my truck in the shop all of last week. This was the second time I had the DEF poor quality light. The first time they just reset it, and 150 miles later it came back on. The shop foreman called me and said he was scratching his head, so he said he called GM and they told him about the NOx sensor. They had the parts overnighted and replaced the sensor on Friday. I've put about 50 miles on it so far. Hopefully it's fixed this time.

#114 ·
So, they just called me and the tech "can't figure out what is going on". They're dropping the tank to drain and put fresh fluid in. Of course they haven't checked the DEF injector or the rear NOx sensor like I asked them to. This is really aggravating!

Are Fords having these problems too? Is this a common issue with these new exhaust systems or is it just the GM trucks?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#116 ·
Is there anything that can be done about this? If it's an issue with all of them, it seems like something should be changed. I've called GM customer service and reported a complaint about this issue. What else can be done? We pay a lot of money for these trucks to end up with something so unreliable. It seems instead of fixing the problem they are only doing a temporary patch for it to return every few months to go through it over again. I went with Chevrolet because I prefer to buy American and my family has always owned GM vehicles, but this is very disappointing to say the least.

#117 ·
It may be a common issue, but it is certainly not ALL of them.
Mine was one that had the level reset problem in the winter/spring of '11, but in the 2 years since it has been problem free.
It's never had a def quality issue.

#118 ·
I need to talk to someone in GM Engineering, not customer service. Nothing is getting resolved going through customer service. So if GM can set me up to speak with someone from engineering please do so. Or if anyone here can help me out please speak up.

#120 ·
What I have tried arguing withe the dealer and customer service. I had to pay $353 because they had to drain my DEF tank when the fluid quality was not the cause of the of the code. The only thing the dealer has to go by on fluid quality is what "the truck tells them". They don't sample and analyze the fluid, they just dump it and put fresh in. Therefore it is "not covered under warranty since it is a fluid I add". When the code comes back in a few months it will be the same issue. Not fixing the problem, just clearing the code and charging me. If their solution is to drain it and add fresh every time, why not put a drain plug so I can do it myself? Or hey, better yet why not go through the entire system and fix it and get it right. They have no basis on using poor quality fluid as an excuse. The truck does not have a fluid analyzer, it has NOx sensors (or analyzers) which analyze the amount of nitrogen oxides in the exhaust, not the quality of the DEF. So when the NOx level reads high and the sensor reads to be good, it is automatically assumed to be the quality of the exhaust fluid. For GM to charge me for this, they should have some way to test the fluid, not just say "the truck told me so" (the service manager's words).

#143 ·
Same thing happened to me here in FL the first time I had the Poor Quality DEF warning. I was charged $140 to have the fluid drained and replaced. I guess I got off easy compared to you. After the 3rd trip back when they changed the rear NOx sensor, I argued to be reimbursed for that $140 because the fluid was obviously not the problem. I got the same BS about "All we can do is follow the diagnostic procedure..". No matter how much I argued they wouldn't budge.
I like the truck but really hate this DEF problem and the way GM service has decided to handle it. Piss poor and if this problem continues there is no way I'll buy another GM vehicle.. ever.
BTW - my truck is a 2011 2500HD with just under 11K miles.

#121 ·
When I asked the service manager what I can do to prevent this from happening again, his answer: "I don't know". I have followed the owners manual to a 'T' keeping excellent maintenance on the truck to avoid having to pay for something like this. This may be the last GM vehicle I buy.

#122 · (Edited)
When I had DEF issues, I assumed they would drain the tank, but they tested the fluid and said it was fine. That's when they called GM and found out about the NOx sensor. Sounds like your dealer needs to get in touch with GM before they start troubleshooting something they aren't familar with.

#123 · (Edited)
So your dealer actually tested the fluid? I specifically asked mine if they tested it, but they said they don't have anything to test the fluid with. I've had problems with this dealer in the past, and this is actually where I bought the truck. The only reason I used them is because the reduced power. My preferred dealer is out of town, but I will go out of my way to take back roads to get there next time. I did talk to them to get their opinion on the whole deal (not to get them involved, just advice) and they don't agree with what happened. Live and learn I guess? To be honest, I do love my truck, just hate what's going on with it right now. Too big of an investment to have problems like this.

#124 ·
That's what they told me, and it's typed up on the service receipt as saying "DEF test passed", or something like that. I don't know what the test entails, but they seemed convinced the DEF wasn't the problem. I understand your frustration. My wife was ready to sell the truck after our 4th trip to the dealer. The truck is great, but it's the emissions junk that's causing the headaches.

#126 ·
They said they changed the rear NOx sensor. I have spoken to one person at GM Customer Service. Michelle should be monitoring this forum. I'm not sure if she can do anything more than the other lady I spoke with, but if so, please contact me Michelle @GMCustomerService. I am also having an issue about paying for not warranty work that I never authorized.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.