2011 duramax tapping noise from engine !! - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2011+ LML Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2011, 04:07 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

2011 duramax tapping noise from engine !!

MY NEW DURAMAX 10,000 MILES ANOTHER ISSUE !!! I JUST TOOK FOR 1ST OIL CHANGE AND REFLASH BOUT 2 WEEKS AGO. NOTICED BOUT 2 DAYS AFTER THE SERVICE A TAPPING NOISE FROM MOTOR REALLY NOTICEABLE ESPECIALLY FROM DRIVER WHEEL WELL . ALMOST SOUNDS LIKE VALVES I MEAN NOISY CAN HEAR FROM A COUPLE FEET AWAY FROM TRUCK .

WELL I TOOK IN TODAY AND THE DEALER IS SO CONFUSED . THEY SAY THERE GONNA CONTACT GM TO SEE IF THERE ARE ANY LIKE CASES THAT HAVE BEEN REPORTED . HAS ANYONE HAD THIS ISSUE OR HEARD OF IT ??

MAN IM PISSED JUST DOESNT SOUND NORMAL
PRICELESS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2011, 04:10 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
I know nothing
Lifetime Supporting Member

Totally normal dude. Especially after fresh oil. Search is your friend....Does Your Duramax Tick/Knock?? Read First.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:12 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Mine does it after every time when i change the oil. No worries.

EFI Live DSP5|AirDog II 165| Flex-A-Lite Electric Fans| 2" Drop Shackles| 5" MBRP Exhaust| Down Pipe| S&B Intake| PPE & Aeroforce Gauges| 20x9 XD Hoss 795| 305/55/20 Falken Wild Peak A/T| PPE Fittings| PCV Reroute| EGR Blocked| HD Tie Rod Sleeves| B&W Hitch| 10" Kicker Comp VR
duramax07tmd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2011, 04:14 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

when in regen the engine can sound louder and a little more tick sound, also my LLY and LMM both had tick on drivers side wheel well when idling, was normal sounds for this diesel engine. Does the dealer think that it is also an unusually loud or different noise?
Old 02-16-2011, 04:15 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxchris View Post
totally normal dude. Especially after fresh oil. Search is your friend....Does Your Duramax Tick/Knock?? Read First.
hey thanks man !! Just frustrated and wasnt thinking !! Thanks again !
Old 02-16-2011, 04:16 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by denali hd3500 View Post
when in regen the engine can sound louder and a little more tick sound, also my lly and lmm both had tick on drivers side wheel well when idling, was normal sounds for this diesel engine. Does the dealer think that it is also an unusually loud or different noise?
naw they just havent seen many 2011 trucks thats all . It sounds normal after the above reading and searching .
Old 02-16-2011, 04:18 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
I know nothing
Lifetime Supporting Member

No problem. You're not the only one who has expressed concern over the infamous tick. I've posted that link probably 100 times.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:23 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

2011 Chevy Silverado HD3500 - Duramax

The truck is one year old. I just did the second oil change because I was going on a cross-country trip. While picking up my camper, I hear the infamous ticking noise. One year ago, I had the water pump replaced due to a service bulletin. I thought it was the water pump starting to fail again. Quickly took it top the Chevy dealer to diagnose. Want to see what they say. I see Service Bulletin: 02-06-01-022K. Yeah, not real happy.
astrungis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2012, 08:27 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrungis View Post
The truck is one year old. I just did the second oil change because I was going on a cross-country trip. While picking up my camper, I hear the infamous ticking noise. One year ago, I had the water pump replaced due to a service bulletin. I thought it was the water pump starting to fail again. Quickly took it top the Chevy dealer to diagnose. Want to see what they say. I see Service Bulletin: 02-06-01-022K. Yeah, not real happy.
What are you worried about, can cause no harm, nature of the beast, never had any Dmax that didn't sound this way, nor have any problem resulting.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:13 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENALI HD3500 View Post
What are you worried about, can cause no harm, nature of the beast, never had any Dmax that didn't sound this way, nor have any problem resulting.
By the way, how can we lookup a service bulletin on the www?
1979 Chevy 3/4 ton 454 V8 auto 3.42
1982 Chevy 1/2 ton 6.2 auto o/d 3.42 gear.
1983 Chevy 3/4 ton 305 auto o/d 4.11
1989 Chevy 3/4 ton 350 auto o/d 3.73 gear
1990 GM 3/4 ton 350 auto turbo 400 3.73 gear
2001 Chevy 2500 HD LT-2 (i think) 8.1 Allison,4x4, 4.10
2012 Chevy 2500 HD CC standard box, 4x4, DD, Allison 3.73, LTZ
DennyO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.