My Build Thread - Page 329 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2011+ LML Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the '11 and up LML Duramax Trucks No Advertising

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 06:54 AM   eBay Motors  #3281 (permalink)
Duramax Forum Supporter
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armalite View Post
At the company I spent my first 6 years with, we had all fords. I bet we had 20-30 of the 2000 - 2004 year model fords. All diesels. Not one single truck, not one, made it to 100,000 miles without losing the rear end, transmission, or headgaskets, or a combination of all three. My truck made it to 98,000 miles, and the head gaskets blew. Some went through three rear ends, some had multiple trannys, before 100,000 miles. These were all F-350-550 trucks. Most were the F-550's. Had a flat bed on them with tool boxes, generator, air compressor, threaders, and a host of tools. Never pulled anything more than a bumper pull trailer. Except a few like mine that stayed hooked up to a gooseneck. We had to have about 10 spare trucks just to keep everyone working. It was a nightmare. Finally went to the chevy gas burner one tons. We started getting 150k miles out of them, and never having to touch them. Literally, several went this long without ever having any issues, other than a/c switch or something minor going out. Never put a motor, tranny, or rearend in the first one. By the time I left, we had close to 60 of those chevy one tons, all gas, running around. Now we would have one every now and then give us issues, but never a motor or tranny or rear end. So, that's what we have stuck with.

Started off with a few dodge one tons in my company now. And they were better than the fords, but couldnt touch these chevys. Running all chevy one tons now. Got about 20 gas burners, and 6 duramax's.

Now, we do have two ford gas burner half ton 4x4s, and one gas burner 3/4 ton. I havent had any problems out of them. I like the ford half tons crew cabs over the chevy, for work.

I will never give up my duramax though...
Brother you have a lot of trucks.
So, I need one. I need a 1 ton dually to pull a trailer and a John deere 310 back hoe i'm thinking of buying. Have a good deal working on a 1500 hour 2004 extend-a-hoe for 31K. But no monies for the truck and trailer :-((
I'm going full speed ahead on that farm. The bible says to walk the land and claim it in his name and he will give it to you. I have a vision of betting the other two 1400 acre farms as well...

http://real-man-truckworks-and-survival.com

Author of: "Distant Thunder"
flyin6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 08:12 AM   eBay Motors  #3282 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin6 View Post
MH-47's
I flew a lot of different models of Chinooks in many different places in the world. I guess the missions in the MH were the most "adventurous" but a normal 101st Airborne Ch-47D was a real work horse pretty much capable of doing anything I ever asked of it. It had so much power, I could climb from the ground to 10,000 feet without any forward airspeed, and do it PDQ. I remember the jumpers would ask me to give them a 1 minute warning before passing 5,000 in the climb. That's where they set their AOD (parachute automatic opening devices) to open the chutes in case they became incapacitated in the exit or in free fall. THings happen, guys run into you, equipment knocks into you, you catch something unexpected on the way out of the ramp. Anyway just as I pulled power to take off I'd give them the 1 minute warning! Yep, it climbed that fast. I'd slow to like 60 knots, then pull around 80% power, which I believe a Black Hawk hovers at (A Chinook hovers at 40-42% power leaving huge reserves for picking stuff up like John Deere JD-550 bulldozers! ANyway with the power pulled in, I'd ask the junior pilot to lift his leg off the floor. We were actually pulling "g's" going straight up with muscle alone. Hey if you like 540 BB Chevys and build D-Max engines you couldn't help but love a Chinook. It is truely the Army's work horse in the stan, able to heft pretty good loads up onto those mountains.
I remember flying the Super Huey gunship over there. THere was a place where I used to cross a ridgeline in the Hindu-Kush mountain range. The lowest spot I could find was 12,300 feet. Some days we would climb and climb and circle and try to catch an up draft, but have to turn back because the aircraft couldn't struggle up and over. A hook would laugh at that!
http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/at...-chinook-3.jpg
Don, When did you take this picture of me on the ramp? Not cool sneaking up behind me like that.
PCV Re-Route, Navigation, Tow Mirrors
Leveled on 18" Incubus Rims w/ BFG A/T
EFI Live by Idaho Rob
Transgo Jr

Want List: EGR Delete, Cab Lights, Lift Pump and lots more...

Keystone 8 Luggers
looch10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 05:28 PM   eBay Motors  #3283 (permalink)
Duramax Forum Supporter
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by looch10 View Post
Don, When did you take this picture of me on the ramp? Not cool sneaking up behind me like that.
I always wondered if you guys were as nervous as we were getting that close. I understand you can actually feel the thumping of the rotor blades, is that right? Does the bow wave created by my rotor system tend to push the herc up and away any? Can you feel it?
In the Stan a couple years ago I was flying along in an AW139, the one in my book. One of my aircraft, a Bell 214ST which has the largest two blade rotor system in the world came up behind me. Dammed if I couldn't feel it in my aircraft. The bow wave produced by that monster pushed my tail up! THe 2-1-4 guys refere to the effect as "the force."

Old 11-21-2012, 05:34 PM   eBay Motors  #3284 (permalink)
Duramax Forum Supporter
Supporting Member

A strange thing happened today. While staying into the throttle for some time I think the motor starved for fuel. I was doing it to see what EGT's I'd see. I noticed it stayed in the low 1200 range only hitting 1222 once. While approaching 90 mph the motor exibited the same behavoir as when it hits max speed and starts shutting off. THere is a possibility that I actually hit 95 and starved hit the limit, triggering fuel shutoff, but I'm close to being sure I was only at 90mph. With this tune and Ricks manifolds it gets to those speeds PDQ. Dunno, I just suspect I found the top end of the CP4 pump?????

Old 11-21-2012, 10:02 PM   eBay Motors  #3285 (permalink)

Quote:
A strange thing happened today. While staying into the throttle for some time I think the motor starved for fuel. I was doing it to see what EGT's I'd see. I noticed it stayed in the low 1200 range only hitting 1222 once. While approaching 90 mph the motor exibited the same behavoir as when it hits max speed and starts shutting off. THere is a possibility that I actually hit 95 and starved hit the limit, triggering fuel shutoff, but I'm close to being sure I was only at 90mph. With this tune and Ricks manifolds it gets to those speeds PDQ. Dunno, I just suspect I found the top end of the CP4 pump?????
Time for dual CP4s
My theory is-If you have to get out of a sticky situation. Then do it fast.

Last edited by Broc212; 11-22-2012 at 03:46 PM.
Broc212 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 03:58 AM   eBay Motors  #3286 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
With your lift pump in place already, I would suspect you didn't drain the rails but rather hit the EGT defueling limit of the H&S. once you hit a certain EGT it can pull fuel to keep you from popping a motor. I don't know if you set yours or if they come preset even but I would look at that first.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:24 AM   eBay Motors  #3287 (permalink)
Taking the Long Way Home
Supporting Member

^^^ What he said Don, De fuel Limit is Factory set At 1350, also I forgot if you had the speed o calibrated. The governor if not disabled when the tune is loaded will shut you down like you stated @ 96. with your set up you should easily be able to bury the needle. Happy Thanksgiving.....
FC5452 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 04:30 AM   eBay Motors  #3288 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

I just installed my fass yesterday. Since installation my truck no longer falls on its face when wot on hot. Now my problem is that 1600 I saw on the pyro. Looking forward to having ricks manifolds and up pipes put on, on the 28th to see how much they come down.
2011 LML- H&S Motorsports CP3 over CP4 kit w/tunes from Kory Willis , 17x9 XD Misfits, 285-70-17 Cooper AT's, Spray on, tool box/50 Gallon Auxillary, tint all around, Ride Rite bags, Ride rite compressor system,H&S Mini Max, Cobalt Pyro, ready lift keys, 5" MBRP straight piped, Rare Part Tie rods, Cognito UCA's, Bilstein 5100's, Fass Titanium 150, ADP downpipe, EGR delete from ADP and Proflow up pipes and manifolds.

To be installed: Built Tranny from Calvins and custom compounds.

Gotta love being a Directional Driller.
LMLFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 04:35 AM   eBay Motors  #3289 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebpdt View Post
With your lift pump in place already, I would suspect you didn't drain the rails but rather hit the EGT defueling limit of the H&S. once you hit a certain EGT it can pull fuel to keep you from popping a motor. I don't know if you set yours or if they come preset even but I would look at that first.
Which EGT Sensor would the H&S be monitoring? Post Turbo I assume for anything remotely accurate?

His manifold EGT sensor feeds the EDGE CTS for display purposes.

http://zero-signal.org/2500HD/2500HD_sig_small.jpg

SGT/USMC | 0311
CODE4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 04:37 AM   eBay Motors  #3290 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

He has an xrt pro so his H&S isn't monitoring anything. I would have to assume its his manifold only...... Seeing how that's where it should be. Pre-turbo temps are much more important than post turbo temps.
2011 LML- H&S Motorsports CP3 over CP4 kit w/tunes from Kory Willis , 17x9 XD Misfits, 285-70-17 Cooper AT's, Spray on, tool box/50 Gallon Auxillary, tint all around, Ride Rite bags, Ride rite compressor system,H&S Mini Max, Cobalt Pyro, ready lift keys, 5" MBRP straight piped, Rare Part Tie rods, Cognito UCA's, Bilstein 5100's, Fass Titanium 150, ADP downpipe, EGR delete from ADP and Proflow up pipes and manifolds.

To be installed: Built Tranny from Calvins and custom compounds.

Gotta love being a Directional Driller.
LMLFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.