My Build Thread - Page 335 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2011+ LML Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the '11 and up LML Duramax Trucks No Advertising

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 08:14 PM   eBay Motors  #3341 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin6 View Post
No giezer naps here, no sir. I was feeding the platoon. Wife's birthday tonight, just got back. Spent the equivalent of a good bottom end build on dinner for the family and every one else who could fit through the doors at Red Lobster...I'm (financially) a hurting unit.

As for the suspension travel numbers, stockers don't have very much at all, especially with cranked bars. Realistically maybe 3-4" from lock to top. It's pathetic and the reason I went to a SAS swap with the Tundra.

When you flex the suspension to the limits, then one by one eliminate them you get some pretty flexy things starting to happen. With the big GM's I kind of like the IFS setup. It takes a number of changes, but I have some experience, having gone through all of that on the Hummer I used to own. THis truck is different, and much better built. There is a lot of travel left in there by sawing the bump stops in half or cutting them out of there altogether and replacing with some air bumps, then cutting back the droop pads say 1/2"-1". Those two things would probably mandate new much higher angle axles and probably easily exceed a foot of travel.
With a stiff frame IFS like we have, I like a 30/70 to 40/60 travel ratio front to rear. If I get 36" total travel front to rear, then I'd like for 24" give or take to be happening in the back.
With that in mind, I still want to go to the deavers and work with shock stroke to get a lot more travel back there. With what I plan with the front, I think I should be able to handle some decent trails or fields at speed.
I know awhile back you mentioned you wanted to do a swap from the IFS to a solid front axle. Still wanting to do that if they come out with the kit or is this actually better?
Cheap
Turd

Duramax very soon!
Broc212 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 05:20 AM   eBay Motors  #3342 (permalink)
Duramax Forum Supporter
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broc212 View Post
I know awhile back you mentioned you wanted to do a swap from the IFS to a solid front axle. Still wanting to do that if they come out with the kit or is this actually better?
No, I don't think I am going to do that.
And I don't need a kit, I could design that myself, already put a coil over in a TUndra, and I believe I am still the only guy to ever have done that.
I didn't mean for that to sound like I'm anything special, because I certainly am not, just saying that I don't need anyone to design a kit for me to act on a project like that
Here's why I decided against it:
First the day to day ride of the IFS will never be duplicated by a solid axle.
Secondly the high speed sprint across a field is possible with a IFS, problematic with a SAS.
Next when I looked into it I ran into porblems with the 8 on 180mm bolt pattern. First, there are no solid front axles with that pattern so we are talking custom. Next how do I adapt brakes when the 8 on 180 rotors are so much larger, I'd have to cut down stockers.
So if I just swap in a Dodge D60 and go with the 8 on 6.5 pattern then I have to swap something in the rear. If that something is the axles alone to get the rear to a 8 on 6.5, I might have spline issues. Next I am again running into the same bolt pattern issues. THe Chevy has larger brake rotors than most of the other trucks so the caliper position would no longer be optimal for the smaller rotor needed to fit the 8 on 6.5.
Of course we haven't even touched on the fact that the braking system will be less effective than the stock Chevy.
With all of that working against the SAS swap, it is just a mountain a bit to big to push out of the way and for what benefit exactly.
No, I believe in the case of the LML and newer Chebby, an improved baja like front suspension and a deaver spring rear with longer travel bigger shocks is the way to go. I believe I can make the suspension extremely capable, and probably for less $$$, so that is the direction I am headed.

http://real-man-truckworks-and-survival.com

Author of: "Distant Thunder"
flyin6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 11:26 AM   eBay Motors  #3343 (permalink)

So then you should help me upgrade the Tundy's IFS, since theres no way I can finagle an SAS or Duramax yet.
Obviously you men will take the road less traveled just because. Just because you want to push yourself to see if you can make it. Even though you know failure is around every corner, you know what the pay off is, and that's what drives men like you. You will not walk away from a challenge, no sir, not in your blood, not in your DNA. You were built to fight, and persevere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higher Caliber View Post
It's easy enough to get tunnel vision when the woodpecker starts cackling at you without having to look through a little ass hole. (Pure opinion and *personal* experience there)
Quote:
You don't become a grunt for glamour or to do yourself favors. You become a grunt because you're born to be one and you couldn't imagine ever being anything different!
BobbyB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 02:32 PM   eBay Motors  #3344 (permalink)

Quote:
No, I don't think I am going to do that.
And I don't need a kit, I could design that myself, already put a coil over in a TUndra, and I believe I am still the only guy to ever have done that.
I didn't mean for that to sound like I'm anything special, because I certainly am not, just saying that I don't need anyone to design a kit for me to act on a project like that
Here's why I decided against it:
First the day to day ride of the IFS will never be duplicated by a solid axle.
Secondly the high speed sprint across a field is possible with a IFS, problematic with a SAS.
Next when I looked into it I ran into porblems with the 8 on 180mm bolt pattern. First, there are no solid front axles with that pattern so we are talking custom. Next how do I adapt brakes when the 8 on 180 rotors are so much larger, I'd have to cut down stockers.
So if I just swap in a Dodge D60 and go with the 8 on 6.5 pattern then I have to swap something in the rear. If that something is the axles alone to get the rear to a 8 on 6.5, I might have spline issues. Next I am again running into the same bolt pattern issues. THe Chevy has larger brake rotors than most of the other trucks so the caliper position would no longer be optimal for the smaller rotor needed to fit the 8 on 6.5.
Of course we haven't even touched on the fact that the braking system will be less effective than the stock Chevy.
With all of that working against the SAS swap, it is just a mountain a bit to big to push out of the way and for what benefit exactly.
No, I believe in the case of the LML and newer Chebby, an improved baja like front suspension and a deaver spring rear with longer travel bigger shocks is the way to go. I believe I can make the suspension extremely capable, and probably for less $$$, so that is the direction I am headed.
Got it! I completely understand. Now that I think about it... IFS can probably be stronger than a solid due to the flexibility. I think I'm on the right path. Seeing those baja hits some serious jumps and totally absorbing it all. Solid would snap I'm sure or be a VERY rough landing.
Cheap
Turd

Duramax very soon!
Broc212 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 07:22 PM   eBay Motors  #3345 (permalink)
Duramax Forum Supporter
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broc212 View Post
Got it! I completely understand. Now that I think about it... IFS can probably be stronger than a solid due to the flexibility. I think I'm on the right path. Seeing those baja hits some serious jumps and totally absorbing it all. Solid would snap I'm sure or be a VERY rough landing.
Correct!

Today I built a bump fire M4 and a scratch built one just to "learn" myself how to do that. The good news is I learned how to do it. THe bad news is I have two inop M4's at the moment!

THe bump fire gun launched a tiny spring out of the butt stock into the twilight zone where it is and will always be. Honestly, I think it landed on my malamute which took off and shook off in the lawn depositing it below this fall's leaf clutter, has to be that!

So that gun is out of there until I get that new spring. You know, come to think of it, I need to tell Nasa about those springs, I mean it's like fusion. It tucks in about 1/4 inch, yet fires out a half mile or so. Some wierd physics going on there.

Anyway, read all about it over at the Gator build...

Old 12-01-2012, 05:44 PM   eBay Motors  #3346 (permalink)
Duramax Forum Supporter
Supporting Member

I think I am warming up to installing those electric steps this monday
Can't be scared
Gotta concentrate
Starting to show some symptoms of I.S.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:05 PM   eBay Motors  #3347 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
I think I am warming up to installing those electric steps this monday
Can't be scared
Gotta concentrate
Starting to show some symptoms of I.S.
I was beginning to wonder when that would kick in...

Almost performed an install on mine this morning, then, realized if I started that one, then I'd want to do the rear diff cover, then something else.... Had to just walk away and go get on my tractor and work all day...

Truck is for sale...
Check the classifieds section...

My Build Thread
Armalite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 06:53 PM   eBay Motors  #3348 (permalink)
Duramax Forum Supporter
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armalite View Post
I was beginning to wonder when that would kick in...

Almost performed an install on mine this morning, then, realized if I started that one, then I'd want to do the rear diff cover, then something else.... Had to just walk away and go get on my tractor and work all day...
Tractors are good for that sort of thing!

Old 12-02-2012, 06:33 AM   eBay Motors  #3349 (permalink)

Quote:
Correct!

Today I built a bump fire M4 and a scratch built one just to "learn" myself how to do that. The good news is I learned how to do it. THe bad news is I have two inop M4's at the moment!

THe bump fire gun launched a tiny spring out of the butt stock into the twilight zone where it is and will always be. Honestly, I think it landed on my malamute which took off and shook off in the lawn depositing it below this fall's leaf clutter, has to be that!

So that gun is out of there until I get that new spring. You know, come to think of it, I need to tell Nasa about those springs, I mean it's like fusion. It tucks in about 1/4 inch, yet fires out a half mile or so. Some wierd physics going on there.

Anyway, read all about it over at the Gator build...
Where is the link to this Gator Build I hear so much about! Sounds.... Interesting
Alberta Dmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 07:13 AM   eBay Motors  #3350 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Dmax View Post
Where is the link to this Gator Build I hear so much about! Sounds.... Interesting
Here ya go:

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/po...ld-thread.html
Obviously you men will take the road less traveled just because. Just because you want to push yourself to see if you can make it. Even though you know failure is around every corner, you know what the pay off is, and that's what drives men like you. You will not walk away from a challenge, no sir, not in your blood, not in your DNA. You were built to fight, and persevere.
Quote:
It's easy enough to get tunnel vision when the woodpecker starts cackling at you without having to look through a little ass hole. (Pure opinion and *personal* experience there)
Quote:
You don't become a grunt for glamour or to do yourself favors. You become a grunt because you're born to be one and you couldn't imagine ever being anything different!
BobbyB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.