Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

My Build Thread

2M views 8K replies 336 participants last post by  KensAuto 
#1 · (Edited)
This will be the start of my build thread. My newly purchased 2011 2500HD LTZ will be undergoing a plethorea of modifications to make it more "capable" as it were. I already own a super capable off road sort of semi militarized truck so this one will not focus on the off road thing as the primary design factor.
I think the truck should retain all it's off road prowess and perhaps even be enhanced in some areas such ar undercarriage armor and suspension travel, but I am not going to SAS this truck like I did with my other truck.

Edit: When I wrote this I thought Obama was finished in 1 term...He got re-elected...I have hence forth lost my mind and after some 7oo odd pages from here, you will see I was not telling the truth about the SAS thing, nor have I kept this project as sane as I envisioned when I thought our nation was soon to be saved...

I want it to have good bumpers just in case I need to push stuff out of the way, a self recovery capability if I need that, more engine power but only if it does not adversly affect mileage, much longer range while enhancing the multi fuel capabilities. It would be able to safely carry my family over great distances while negotiating anything from a tractor trail around a field to a debris strewn roadway. Well, more on my thinking and the vehicle mission statement later on as this thread developes. I think some of you will understand where I am going with this especially in view of the particuliar design charactersitics of my Tundra.
So here it is on zero day when I purchased it this past fall

So far the modifications include: (I update this list every time I make a change)
1. Glock pistol holster mod Pg. 1
2. MBRP 4" exhaust w/muffler Pg. 2,3
3. H&S XT Pro Pg. 3
4. S&B air filter/intake system Pg. 1,2
5. Stainless exhaust clamps Pg. 2,3
6. 6" Fabtech lift Pg. 7-17
7. Dirt Logic 2.25" shocks Pg. 7-17
8. Pro Comp 18 X 9 wheels Pg. 18
9. Toyo 12.50 X 35" MT's Pg. 18
10. Road Armor front bumper Pg. 22-25
11. T-Max 9K winch Pg. 21,22
12. Synthetic winch line Pg. 21-22
13. Poly fairhead rollers and poly bobbin Pg. 20
14. 4 ea. Warn 350F fog lights Pg. 22
15. Hella Optilux HID driving lights Pg. 22,24,28
16. Air Dog 165 fuel pump Pg. 32-36
17. Alligator Performance fuel tank sump Pg. 32-34
18. Merchant Automotive tie rod sleeves Pg. 39
19. S&B paper filter and filter wrap Pg. 55
20. Yukon 4.56 gears Pg. 60-64,81-84
21. Yukon Grizzly locker in rear axle Pg. 52
22. Amsoil dual bypass filter system Pg. 86
23 Fumoto engine oil drain valve Pg. 87
24. Extra exhaust hangar pg. 66
25. Opti Lube Pg. 43-50
26. Fuel tank skid plate mod Pg. 67
27. Great Lakes Off Road rear cover Pg. 71
28. Overhead switch mod Pg. 69
29. Great Lakes Off Road (GLO) rear Axle cover pg. 97,98,103,104
30. Bug out bag/medical bag pg. 101-102
31. Steering stablizer, Fabtech pg. 108-109
32. U-Pol Raptor bed liner pg. 117
33. GLO U-Bolt flip kit Pg. 130
34. Relocated lower shock mounts (rear axle) pg. 140
35. Cognito steering truss kit pg. 144-145
36. Swiss topper mod pg. 157-182
37. Sulastic Shackles pg. 183-184
38. 12 gage shotgun mount install 188-189
39. Fuel and oil filter rock shields 194-195
40. Edge CTS pg. 208-209
41. Turbo resonator block off pg 214-215
42. HID headlights pg 216
43. LED back up and map reading lights pg. 217
44. EGR Delete/downpipe install pg 238-244
45 Hypertech speedometer in line calibration unit pg 249-250
46 Cognito UCA pg 256-257
47 Kenwood GPS/tuner pg 262-263
48 Pro Flow manifolds and up pipes pg 303-312
49 3" Alligator intercooler pipe pg. 312
50 PPE Deep trans pan pg. 315
51 Rare Parts tie rods pg. 333-334
52 AMP Research steps pg 337-339
53 Road Armor rear bumper pg 377-430
54 Rear tire and fuel can carrier 377-430
55 PCV Delete 456-458
56 Tire Pressure Sensor removal 461
57 Solar panel 481-482, 487
58 Mossberg 930 Modification 486
59 Spare tire mod and latch painting 487
60 Mag Light mount 490
61 Pac-Air Air Bags installation and modification 492-496
62 10K Trailer 502, 510, 523
63 Articulating trailer coupling 518-519, 524, 528-529
64 Side exit exhaust 554-556
65 Titan fuel tank 564
66 Back up camera 583
67 Back Up LED lights 583
68 Tac-Topper restart 591-690ish (Project incomplete, discontinued)
69 T-Rex Y-bridge test fit #1 609
70 T-Rex Y-bridge test fit #2 653
71 SAS project starts (parts acquisition) 703
72 HPD60 axle purchased 724
73 ARE Aluminum commercial topper 757

Attachments

See less See more
#5,458 · (Edited)
:rofl this is the first time I have ever been to this build thread and your first mod is one that will be coming soon to my truck, thanks for the idea. Sorry if this has already been asked, but what holster did you go with mounting there? I carry mine in a bh but the finger release wouldnt work out well for mounting it there, I have a fobus that I dont use much thats just tension secured that im thinking might work for this.

#4 · (Edited)
Next I decided to do something to improve the mileage which was historically running in at 16.4 overall.
I started with adding an air intake system. After talking to Holton over at Alligator performance, he recommended an S&B intake for my application
Here is the factory intake system after removal

Attachments

#111 ·
Hey, FYI, I am really enjoying your post and photos. I just got my S&B filter in today and installed it in my truck. Just one comment, look at your photo which shows where you removed the old air filter housing. There is a small rectangular hole in the fender well, that is where your air comes in for the engine aspiration. I think that hole is too small and will restrict the improved air flow quality of the new S&B aftermarket filter. That said, I installed my filter box with the bottom plate removed to allow more air flow.

#7 ·
Sounds like you'll be having some fun, that glock set up is the shit man I love it.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#649 ·
Here is the intake tube end showing the air bellows which is a smooth venturi molded into the tube itself[/QUOTE

can you post pic of the S&K installed?
thanks bud,
and thats the best Glock mount i've seen yet, my Sig just found a new home. lol :thumb

#11 ·
I hear ya I pack a cz p-01.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#13 ·
The air box has an option to either leave the bottom of the box open for additional air flow or to colse it off. Since the orientation of the opening is straight down, and considering the possibility for emergency deep water fording, I elected to close it off

Attachments

#1,849 ·
Flyin6,

you mentioned that you closed this cover off on bottom, being that your truck is lifted (and so is mine) do you find yourself still wanting it closed?

and for the rest of us that pursue this kit is it easy to get too,.....say if a huge hurricane comes our way and we need to bust this plastic out in a flooded spot and put it on?

and on the other thread your on talking about this intake brand, do you have the part number because i see talk about dry vs oiled, isnt dry the kind with the bag over it? noob question im sure!

but my K&N in my half ton is exactly like yours (filter type)

:help

#19 ·
The MBRP 4" exhaust went on quite easily, although some minor trimming was required. I did not, however, use the supplied muffler clamps which came directly from the old testament!
I purchased stainless steel band clamps and secured the system with those. Also I would critique the MBRP system for not using all the factory hangars. They elect to skip one which in my opinion is not a good idea. I will rectify that by securing some steel rod and fashioning my own hangar and welding that to the supplied pipe

#20 ·
I suffered a temporary brain malfunction and forgot to take pics of this particuliar install, so I took these (poor) shots later after, of course, the exhaust system was plastered with dirt and mud
I painted the tailpipe section semi gloss black to get a stealth look out of it.

Attachments

#22 ·
Next the new engine programming is installed
I chose this H&S unit because I didn't want to squint at the credit card display in the mini unit. This unit cost significantly less and I wanted to upgrade to real gages. The pilot in me likes to look at stuff and know what's going on with the mechanical stuff I'm strapped to, just a habit I guess...

Attachments

#54 ·
I know the H&S mini maxx wont allow you to calibrate truck/speedo for tire size, will the XRT pro allow you to calibrate for tire size? The Black Maxx does allow for tire size changes. If you dont calibrate, your speedo will be off by about 6mph at 60, in additon your odometer will never be accurate either, thus you'll never know what your true fuel mileage is. I've been looking into the H&S tuners, I'd go with the Black Maxx becasue of tire calibration. I do agree with yor comments about having real gauges, I'd also go with the XRT pro, again, only if it allows tire calibration. At this time, I'm running the hypertech maxx, seems to be OK, I'm still playing with it.

#27 ·
Looks great, keep the pictures coming..

Tubbs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.