How to Install Steering Stabilizer? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2011+ LML Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the '11 and up LML Duramax Trucks No Advertising

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2012, 10:58 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

How to Install Steering Stabilizer?

I am considering getting an aftermarket steering stabilizer...are there any good tutorials on how to install it myself? I am sure it is easy, but pictures never hurt.

Also, do I have to remove my Z71 skid plate to install it?

Thanks.
Limo Tint All Around w/ Limo Brow
EDGE CTS Insight, Rancho Steering Stabilizer, Backup Camera
3/4" Lift via Torsion Bars (it was all I could get with stock keys), 285/65/18 Nitto Trail Grapplers
GoLight Stryker HID
XRT Pro on Tow with 4" Flo Pro Exhaust
Chevytuff19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2012, 11:03 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
DMB

Just remove bolts from both ends. Removing the skid plate will definately make it easier.
05 GMC, LBZ mouthpiece, 3" DP, 5" exhaust, lift pump, oil centrifuge, EGR blocked, PCV re-routed, FPRV shimmed, pump rub fixed, leveled, Bilstein 5100's, pitman & idler supports, bigger tie rods, H2's, Insight CTS, EFI
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2012, 11:06 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMB View Post
Just remove bolts from both ends. Removing the skid plate will definately make it easier.
Are the bolts already in the frame even though I don't currently have a stabilizer?
3/4" Lift via Torsion Bars (it was all I could get with stock keys), 285/65/18 Nitto Trail Grapplers
GoLight Stryker HID
Old 02-22-2012, 11:10 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
Im Superrrrr!

oh crap....realize you had an LML.....I don't believe so. But from what I've seen the holes are there.

Might look at whatever brand you thinking of and look at the directions, most post them online as well.

Sponsored by Creatures of the Night Performance and SDP
--2005 CCLB Dually
The tow pig
Tuned and Edge Insight CTS
jmaz268 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2012, 11:19 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DMB

My bad. I thought you already had one. I don't know if if has the mount points or not. Does your centerlink have a mount location next to the idler arm already?
05 GMC, LBZ mouthpiece, 3" DP, 5" exhaust, lift pump, oil centrifuge, EGR blocked, PCV re-routed, FPRV shimmed, pump rub fixed, leveled, Bilstein 5100's, pitman & idler supports, bigger tie rods, H2's, Insight CTS, EFI
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2012, 11:22 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
Im Superrrrr!

here ya go.

Added steering Stabilizer

Sponsored by Creatures of the Night Performance and SDP
--2005 CCLB Dually
The tow pig
Tuned and Edge Insight CTS
jmaz268 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2012, 11:22 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMB View Post
My bad. I thought you already had one. I don't know if if has the mount points or not. Does your centerlink have a mount location next to the idler arm already?
It has the mounting points, but I was just hoping I could get away with not having to take the skid plate off.
GoLight Stryker HID
Old 02-22-2012, 12:16 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

you might be able to squeeze it up there with it on but it takes 30 sec with a impack gun to remove the 4 skid plate bolts on mine. not a big deal. bot sure how different you z71 is...

SOLD... Cummins 07.5 6.7 3500 qcsb, g56 sb 3250, sb 66, bd manifold,h&s boost tube,intake manifold, blackmaxx, mp8, qz fooler, all deletes, s&b, 5"tbe, 625s, ad 165, II R1,
pipeliner 66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2012, 12:41 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipeliner 66 View Post
you might be able to squeeze it up there with it on but it takes 30 sec with a impack gun to remove the 4 skid plate bolts on mine. not a big deal. bot sure how different you z71 is...
Cool...I am heading out to my friend's farm soon and he has a lot of air tools, so I might just do it when I am out there.

One more thing, do I need to buy certain types of bolts to mount the stabilizer?
GoLight Stryker HID
Old 02-22-2012, 01:13 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

Yah there's some odd style bolts used. I got the fabtec one from alligator and it came with everything needed

SOLD... Cummins 07.5 6.7 3500 qcsb, g56 sb 3250, sb 66, bd manifold,h&s boost tube,intake manifold, blackmaxx, mp8, qz fooler, all deletes, s&b, 5"tbe, 625s, ad 165, II R1,
pipeliner 66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.