LML Fuel System Upgrade? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2011+ LML Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the '11 and up LML Duramax Trucks No Advertising

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 02:51 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

LML Fuel System Upgrade?

i am looking for suggestions on what i need to do for fuel system. I just installed my H&S tuner with down pipe back 5" exhaust and want to make sure i dont run outta fuel

I have read some about people upgrading fuel filters and some about lift pumps but dont really know what i should be looking at to purchase
2012 GMC 2500HD Cognito leveling kit, 275/65 20 Toyo MT on 20x9 chrome Fuel Octane wheels, trex billet grills, 5" flow pro Custom Dual exhaust with down pipe, mini maxx, fass titanium 150, egr gone bye bye
Dmax Payne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 02:55 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Unless you run the Hot tune, you don't really need to worry about running out of fuel. A lot of people use Air Dog or Fass lift pumps, though, and they seem to work well.
Limo Tint All Around w/ Limo Brow
EDGE CTS Insight, Rancho Steering Stabilizer, Backup Camera
3/4" Lift via Torsion Bars (it was all I could get with stock keys), 285/65/18 Nitto Trail Grapplers
GoLight Stryker HID
XRT Pro on Tow with 4" Flo Pro Exhaust
Chevytuff19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 02:56 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

does your mini maxx show rail pressure? sorry i don't know much about h&s or LMLs for that matter. But if you can watch your rail pressure and your desired rail pressure then you will be able to tell if your running out of fuel or not.
2008 LMM 2500HD, MA-700, MBRP 4'', K&N cold air intake, EFI Live from Diesel Addiction, edge insight, PPE lift pump, egr blocked, 33'' Goodyear duratracs on 20" XD Misfits, de-debadged,smoked tail lights and cab lights, halo headlights, black grille, leveled with keys, B&M gooseneck hitch, air ride air bags with compressor, Alligator tie rod sleeves, PPE shim kit,Rough Country 6'' Lift Powdercoated Orange, 35w 5000k HIDs highs, lows and fogs
WAITING TO BE INSTALLED - PCV reroute, Ppe rear diff cover, inline filter kit
>>>build thread<<<
BorderlineReckless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 03:05 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

Well you might be draining the rail on your hot tune at wot but maybe not. If you can check your rail pressure and see if your actual is keeping up with desired. Also a lot of guys add lift pumps like the air dog for better filtration alone and not just for the performance end. That's the main reason I'm adding one and the help it gives the injection pump is nice to.
MHDMAX66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 03:06 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevytuff19 View Post
Unless you run the Hot tune, you don't really need to worry about running out of fuel. A lot of people use Air Dog or Fass lift pumps, though, and they seem to work well.
i do have it on the hot tune (performance) right now, i was waiting for this rain to stop so i can do the trans relearn. i dont if i will leave it at that or turn it down
2012 GMC 2500HD Cognito leveling kit, 275/65 20 Toyo MT on 20x9 chrome Fuel Octane wheels, trex billet grills, 5" flow pro Custom Dual exhaust with down pipe, mini maxx, fass titanium 150, egr gone bye bye
Old 01-15-2013, 03:06 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
GMC..Professional Grade
Lifetime Supporting Member

If you want your tuned truck to last, install a lift pump.period. It will run out of fuel on the highest tune with the pedal to the floor and I haven't heard of anyone putting it on the hot tune and not letting her rip at least one time Matter of fact, I would have a lift pump even without a tune, just because of some of the horror stories I've heard with the newer injection pumps failing.
H&S minimaxx, MBRP downpipe back SS duals, Insight CTS w/backup cam, Fass HD150, PPE rear diff cover, Amsoil front-rear w/bypass, Cognito 4-6 NTBD w/idler/pitman braces, a-arms, Recon smoked cab lights
Titan 57 gal saddle tank, linex color matched bedliner , Trekstep bed steps x2, RBP rail steps, Nitto Mud Grapplers, B&W Gooseneck

---Arizona Diesel Club---
Member #19
it's not just a hobbie, it's an Adventure
KensAuto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 03:08 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHDMAX66 View Post
Well you might be draining the rail on your hot tune at wot but maybe not. If you can check your rail pressure and see if your actual is keeping up with desired. Also a lot of guys add lift pumps like the air dog for better filtration alone and not just for the performance end. That's the main reason I'm adding one and the help it gives the injection pump is nice to.
so if i was to do just lift pump like the air dog or another brand that would be all thats needed
Old 01-15-2013, 03:12 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

i dont really get on my truck, just every now and then and its such a beast (for a truck) that i dont think i have pushed the pedal all the way down just because i have not had the need to. i just want to make sure i dont run into the any problems later on because i didnt do something i should have.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:13 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

The air dog kit comes with pretty much everything needed but tools for the install. I'm putting mine on later this month and am planning on putting the catipilliar filter on the air dog once the filter that came with it is used up 8-10 thousand miles I'm thinking. That should give you what you want for you flow to.
MHDMAX66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 03:15 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KensAuto View Post
If you want your tuned truck to last, install a lift pump.period. It will run out of fuel on the highest tune with the pedal to the floor and I haven't heard of anyone putting it on the hot tune and not letting her rip at least one time Matter of fact, I would have a lift pump even without a tune, just because of some of the horror stories I've heard with the newer injection pumps failing.
OK looks like its time to shop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.