Mods for 2013... - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2011+ LML Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the '11 and up LML Duramax Trucks No Advertising

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 12:36 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Mods for 2013...

Hey all,
Had my new 2013 for a week & I'm loving it. Looking to get some feedback & opinions on some stuff I'm wanting to do. I'm coming from a '11 half ton chev, the reason I ordered a diesel was for pulling my travel trailer (7700 lbs dry). The truck is a daily driver.... I had planned on grabbing an edge cts programer, back-up camera, & sensors to monitor different temps (main reason for programmer). I'm not looking for a bunch more hp or torque....a little better fuel economy if anything (pleasantly surprised with stock milage...better than my 1/2 ton!). The one thing I want to get rid of is the hideous exhaust tip (I know it has a purpose). Through research on the internet the only comparible exhaust (temp wise) is the banks monster. I've come to realize banks isn't that popular on this site (thread about rusting exhaust / others about being over priced). Personally the only Banks product I've ever had was a Banks cai on my last truck & I loved it. I know any exhaust mod without a delete kit is only for looks & maybe a little bit of change in sound. But the stock exhaust is so terrible it needs to come off!!! My question is this....Do I stick with a Edge CTS programmer, back-up camera, Sensors. Banks exhaust ( that will eventually rust / most of 'em do, some quicker than others). Or go with another programmer with delete (If I can still find one) & another exhaust? I know my warranty on power train goes out the window with deletes. Are the gains of a delete & exhaust mod that beneficial it's worth tossing power train warranty? Again all I'm looking to do is monitor temps a little closer, install a back-up camera (didn't like stock camera in last truck), & get rid of the stock exhaust.
Thanks....
Koop
AMP Steps, Truxedo Low Pro Tonneau, Black Bow Ties, Future mods/additions....Programmer W/Gauge Monitoring, Exhaust, CAI, Cognito Levelling kit, BMF Rims, Bigger Tires, Smoked Head/Tail Lights, Spray in Liner & Undercoating, Possibly Paint Mirrors (White)
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2013, 12:49 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

From reading a couple's people opinions on the LML's, your warranty is something I would keep for awhile. Edge makes pretty good programmers, and most of us run MBRP exhaust, as it's very reasonably priced and works/fits great. But I would honestly keep your truck stock for at least the first 50,000. That way if you got a problematic truck your not stuck with the cost of everything.
Mods: -Big Dipper Trans/Pump Rub Fix by Todd S. -Industrial Injection 42% CP3 -Leveled (285/75R16) -Built Front End -IAH/Glow Plug Delete -4" MBRP Straight Pipe -EFI by Bobo @Twisted Diesel Tuning -Fass Tiatanium 150
Wish List (always accepting donations):-Water Methanol -Twins -Heads -Rods/Pistons -Cam -Injectors -Dual Fuelers
2007 LBZ CCLB DRW 3500HD 2x6 (310,000) DRW Club Member #145
Mods: -Raptor 100 Lift Pump -4" MBRP w/ muffler
Wish List: -EFI Tunes -Rear Air Bags
lb7dirtymax01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 12:59 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

I would get an H&S Race tuner while you still can...you can always wait to put it on. As for the benefits of tuning vs. warranty: I am going to end up saving almost $900 per 10K miles just on fuel and probably another $100-$150/yr. on DEF...which is enough to cover any minor repairs I might need (I hope ). I run my tuner on Tow, which is pretty safe. Also, the Edge CTS is just for gauges; it was never meant to tune or delete your truck. That said, I have a CTS and I really like it for gauges.
Limo Tint All Around w/ Limo Brow
EDGE CTS Insight, Rancho Steering Stabilizer, Backup Camera
3/4" Lift via Torsion Bars (it was all I could get with stock keys), 285/65/18 Nitto Trail Grapplers
GoLight Stryker HID
XRT Pro on Tow with 4" Flo Pro Exhaust
Chevytuff19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 01:35 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Thanks guys....Kinda leaning towards edge cts for gauges, & camera with an exhaust. There is absolutely no way I can wait to get to 50,000 before changing out that aweful exhaust. Like I said above I'm not currently disappointed with my milage. But I haven't heard many people complain about better milage! I think a 3mpg increase with delete & exhaust is a reasonable expectation (based on others experience). Guess what I really need to decide is if I want to toss my power train warranty after owning the truck for a week? That stupid looking exhaust needs to go! DPF Tank is also pretty terrible as well....come to think of it, the passenger side of these new trucks is hideous!!!
AMP Steps, Truxedo Low Pro Tonneau, Black Bow Ties, Future mods/additions....Programmer W/Gauge Monitoring, Exhaust, CAI, Cognito Levelling kit, BMF Rims, Bigger Tires, Smoked Head/Tail Lights, Spray in Liner & Undercoating, Possibly Paint Mirrors (White)
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 02:49 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koop View Post
come to think of it, the passenger side of these new trucks is hideous!!!

umm... YES!

My Build Thread

Honestly, you just take a deep breath and say Fuck it.
WCSting is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 03:19 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koop View Post
Thanks guys....Kinda leaning towards edge cts for gauges, & camera with an exhaust. There is absolutely no way I can wait to get to 50,000 before changing out that aweful exhaust. Like I said above I'm not currently disappointed with my milage. But I haven't heard many people complain about better milage! I think a 3mpg increase with delete & exhaust is a reasonable expectation (based on others experience). Guess what I really need to decide is if I want to toss my power train warranty after owning the truck for a week? That stupid looking exhaust needs to go! DPF Tank is also pretty terrible as well....come to think of it, the passenger side of these new trucks is hideous!!!
If you just want to get rid of the musket, magnaflow makes a nice filter-back exhaust. It does nothing for sound but it looks great and you keep your warranty. Personally I think it looks better than the banks kit.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using AutoGuide.Com Free App
EFI live by Kory Willis, Suspension Maxx 2.5" Leveling Kit, 2" Readylift Rear blocks, 35x12.5r20 Dick Cepek FC-II's, Eagle Alloys 20x9, Cognito UCAs, Cognito PISK, Kryptonite tie rod sleeves, H&S mini maxx, FASS titanium 150, 5" Flo Pro straight exhaust, Diamond Eye downpipe, XDP EGR delete, MA PCV reroute, AFE Stage 2 CAI, Autometer Cobalt pyro and boost gauges.
crossfire879 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 04:48 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfire879 View Post
If you just want to get rid of the musket, magnaflow makes a nice filter-back exhaust. It does nothing for sound but it looks great and you keep your warranty. Personally I think it looks better than the banks kit.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using AutoGuide.Com Free App
That's what I got, alot better than the trumpet.Ooops just reread I got MBRP. By saturday night exhaust will be front to back with a Mini Maxx tossed in
2012 Silverado LTZ HD 2500 cc/sb, H&S Mini Maxx, 4" MBRP exhaust with muffler, Edge CTS, Bilstein's, Goodyear Duratrac 305/55/20's, Fass 150, ADP fuel sump, Nicktane adapter, and Amsoil in the holes, Fumoto oil drain.
Rich67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 09:35 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

If you just want to get rid of the musket tailpipe I wouldnt drop the coin for the Banks. It will still sound the same since the miffler is built into the DPF. There was a post on here a while back of a guy who cutoff the musket and slid a MBRP tip on witha clamp which kept the cooling aspect and really looked good.
Sandman_73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.