Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Which hardware do you use?

LML Tuning Options

37K views 38 replies 17 participants last post by  SuperSportTruck 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
There are many tuning options available for the LML platform, each with their pros and cons. Which one is right for you, depends on a few things.

-Hardware-

"Boxed Tuners": H&S, Banks, Quadzilla (discontinued), etc.
These tuners are loaded with vehicle specific tunes, from the tuning company. Each customer is given the same tune. When the tuning company updates their tunes, the customer's tuning device may be updated over the internet. After updating the hardware, the customer is able to re-tune their vehicle, with the updated tune. These tuners are keyed to a vehicle's VIN number, so they may only tune one ECM (Engine Control Module) at a time.
Some boxed tuners are downloaders, while others are both downloaders and monitors. A downloader is able to write a tune to the ECM, read DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) and clear them. A monitor is able to display real-time information about the engine,transmission, etc. This information is read by the tuner, via the vehicle's OBD II port.

examples...
XRT Pro: downloader

Mini Maxx: downloader/monitor

Automind: downloader

iQ2: monitor, to be use in conjunction with Banks tuner

"EFILive": Customers are typically sold an AutoCal device to load the tunes they have purchased from their chosen tune writer. AutoCals are shipped to the customer with their tunes already loaded, ready to be written to their vehicle's ECM. These units are also VIN specific.
AutoCals are able to write tunes to an ECM, read/clear DTCs and log data. Although the AutoCal is unable to relay real-time information from the vehicle's computer system to the driver, it IS able to record multiple parameters of the engine/transmission, which can later be reviewed by a tune writer to diagnose any issues the customer may be having. This data logging feature is extremely useful when tune writers are providing support for their customers.
The FlashScan V2 is essentially a pass-through device. A laptop with the appropriate software, in conjunction with a FlashScan V2, is a tune writer's most valuable tool. Tune writers use it to access a vehicle's ECM, copy the tune files and later modify them. Although it is able to load tunes to a vehicle's ECM, its steep price tag (when compared to the AutoCal) renders it a poor choice for the everyday consumer (diesel enthusiast). However, if you are wanting to write your own tunes, this is the way to go.

examples...
AutoCal

FlashScan V2

-Software-
While "boxed tuners" DO support high-power, bolt-on modifications, EFILive is the ideal choice for those with custom setups. EFILive tunes are easily modified by a tune writer. This ease of "tune adjustment" is great for those testing new modifications and custom/experimental engine components.
There are good and bad tune writers. While the different tuning hardware is essentially the same quality, the tunes loaded to them may differ greatly by manufacturer/writer. While refined tunes, written by professionals, offer great power, reasonable EGTs (Exhaust Gas Temperatures) and great "drivability", a poorly written tune will produce unreasonable EGTs and poor drivability. When choosing a tune writer, consider the fact that a poorly written tune can easily DESTROY an engine, transmission and other components of the drive train.

-Tune writers-
A common question posed by people is, "Who is the best tuner?" Although H&S now supports MCC tunes (customizable tunes), this popular question typically pertains to EFILive tunes. Since tuning is very subjective , there is no absolute answer to this question. Below is a list of well-known, professional tune writers. In order to get the very best tune for YOUR NEEDS, you need to call these folks and have a conversation with them. The tune writers will ask you what your truck is used for, which modifications you have (or plan on adding), and what you want out of your tune(s).

In an attempt to avoid hurting people's feelings, the names in the below list are in no specific order.

Motor Ops 705-243-4238

-Idaho Rob at ATP Trucks 208-685-1000

-Duramax Tuner 815-568-7920

-Kory Willis at PPEI

See less See more
#3 ·
This should be a sticky. No more "hey guys i just got a duramax and want to delete the dpf but dont know which tuner to get and dont wanna void warranty blah blah blah". dear god people scroll down the page, there is a million threads about this sh*t!!

Good stuff JOKER

#5 ·
I kinda see both sides. I don't believe in tearing the guy a new one for simply asking a question, but yeep, the same questions over and over again get a little annoying. IMO the best response would simply be to not answer if their questions bother you.

#6 ·
Yeah im not saying we should lay into the guy but a little research and less laziness goes a long way. Every time I see a new "which tuner" or "wanna tune but wanna keep warranty" threads I just shake my head and keep scrolling.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#10 ·
Yeah I love mine.. Don't think I'll be switching

#18 ·
I don't think you missed anything. Lots of folks don't want to tune their vehicles. Since there is a pretty, visual representation of who runs what, adding the option of "no tuner" seemed fair. People looking for reasons to delete want to see that people have done. People wondering if it's "OK" to stay stock, also need the convincing. Maybe that's just me.

#24 ·
Well I just chosen no tune to my vehicle due to the fact I just bought it... I'm in the middle of doing my research on what I would like. Also on what order to install it or to install it all at once. But after spending 80G's I'm not sure if I really want to drop another 5+G's at once. Exhaust, cold air, tuner, down tube, lift kit, air ride, headlights/tail lights... Really the lists can be endless

#29 ·
Nice littler right up. An admin should put this right at the top of the thread list for all the newb's.

Personal expirence I wish I would got the autocal with korys tuning instead of loading them with my XRT. Be nice to log some shit and send back to kory plus then I coulda used the XRT on another truck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#30 ·
Thanks bud. Unfortunately, it turns out I have ruffled some feathers by adding an obvious option to a poll. I know BrokeDown is just a baby that likes to complain, but the other guy is pretty rattled. Gonna have to speak to a staff member and have the poll adjusted to not hurt that guys butt so badly.

#34 ·
It's just time and money, my friend.

+1....I purchased my minimax and MCC tunes right before the Flashscan announcement. I really enjoy the tunes I just with the flash time would be better like with the Flashscan.
Never too late to change. Sell your XRT and move to EFI if you want to go that direction. :thumb

#37 ·
Korry Willis 5 position Ez lynk!!! His tuning is clean, truck runs amazing. Ez lynk is so user friendly and the company's customer service is top notch.I would run ATP but they don't offer delete tuning.ATP tuned my compounded lbz and that truck ran hard and fast no problems.

#39 ·
How much better are the custom tunes than a Minimax on Hot? Felt like the Trans was already on the edge

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.