Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

PPEI tuning

4K views 32 replies 7 participants last post by  WhiteDenali 
#1 ·
I currently have a H&S xrt pro and am wanting to switch to kory Willis efi live tunes for the trans tuning. Who has the best deals on Ppei tunes? Also which trans tuning do y'all recommend? I have Fass 150 and 5" straight exhaust, cat deleted, 8" lift with 37" tires.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#2 ·
I bought from Alligator, but his tunes are going to be pratcially the same price any where. My truck is just like yours but on a 6.5" with 37's. I don't have any trans tunes because I don't drive the truck much. Good luck

#3 ·
Any of the vendors. Lyle at bama off-road, synthetic motor sports, alligator performance. I might be forgetting some. I have personally only dealt with Lyle out of the three I listed and he has been great to deal with.

#5 ·
Can anyone give any insight of having PPEI tuning done with and without trans tuning? Have you actually driven both? If so I would like to hear some comparison.

#7 ·
I would do it for sue on a lml only. Their is some guys making serious power on stock trans lml with trans tuning.

#6 ·
I would say everyone that has it is pleased with it and glad they got it....at least everyone that I have sold them too anyways....

#8 ·
So , if I understand correctly; on my LML , when I tune & delete I also need a "trans tune"? ?

I want a tuner/exhaust kit to delete the dpf, gain some mpg's, and power gains would be a nice bonus. I'm looking for the most economical , well planned , "SAFE for my transmission" power levels and my goal is reliability of the truck. I do not want to "mod" the transmission. This isn't a race truck, its main purpose is getting me to work everyday and pulling a car trailer or anything else I can find to hook to the back of it.

Hopefully I'm only a trip to H&R Block away from PM'ing Lyle with a bunch of dumb questions

#11 ·
Good info then. Thanks "gorilla! I appreciAte it!

Reactions: SilverGorillaLML
#10 ·
Yeah what he said. It will help the trans live longer. I would do it especially towing

#12 ·
Understood. Thanks Josh' !

Sounds like although technically unnecessary ; it's certainly in my best Interest for my trans.

Point taken , I'll be a trans tune guy !

Reactions: Josh154
#13 ·
Yeah, they are about to do away with the street tune and just have the race tune, not s big difference between the two he said......just let me know when you are ready for the goodies!! Shoot me a pm and I'll get you taken care of!!! :gearjamin

#16 ·
Thanks Lyle, and I most certainly will.

Def. Don't want a race tune , just towing and commuting for me.

Dumb question #1- the OEM exhaust brake / tow haul , etc all still there and work appropriately after a delete on these trucks ?

#15 ·
Thank you my Friend , aaaand likewise!

#19 ·
Thanks for the info SilverGorilla! And I can't wait to hear how good it sounds deleted !!

Nope! My name is Charlie ! but that is crazy someone else in town has the same rides hahaha The scion is my wife's commuter car. Hell; I don't even know anyone named Jason?! Lol

#20 ·
Last I heard he had moved to wardensville wv, wasn't sure If he moved back. I had a 09 tc that was built motor/turbo from Ptuning that I ran around with him in. He had the TRD supercharger(small turd:rofl) on his and last time we talked he was stripping it back to stock to do work on the truck.
Anyways...:rofl

#21 ·
Man , I'll bet that 09 was quick! The misses isn't interested in any mods on her scion haha , I'm always hittin her up with "hey, we could do this or get that, or if I put this on you could......" She's like "it's a commuter , stop it Charlie , worry about your truck" lol!

#22 ·
It was pretty quick for what it was. Definitely caught a lot of people of guard that's for sure. Once it got around though Noone would play anymore. All the v8 guys didn't want their feelings hurt. Motor ended up popping after 20k of 450whp. Had ptuning redo the motor for n/a again and took the turbo off, slapped in a sound system and sold it:rofl

#25 ·
That's a shitload of power out of, And for that car ! Haha I'll bet you had NO problem off loading it

#26 ·
He's talking about doing away with the other Trans tune. They're both very similar. The Autocal from Kory comes with 5 tunes. If your worried about the Trans keep it on a lower tune say a 120 or one of the tow tunes. These trans have been holding up quite well to max effort tunes and a lot of guys are running over 600hp through the stock Trans still. Now it won't last forever at those levels and they know that. If you never plan on or want to build the Trans I would keep it under a 120 tune. Stock converter doesn't like anything over 850 900 ft lbs

#27 ·
At one time it was one of the highest hp tc's, at least that I had heard of. Iirc at the time it was like the 3rd highest hp tc? I never got it on the track cause I was scared of breaking an axle or something and not having a way home. It pulled on a friends built big turbo 5.0 pretry well though so I would say on high boost it was close to 500 if not more. At the time the internals just weren't there for the aftermarket community and once the 2nd motor popped I was done.

#28 ·
Yeah , that's a lot of power on those internals when there's by a flood of proven aftermarket "expensive" parts!

Aaaaand , Thanks for clearing up my "tunes" confusion ! I thought he was talking about the engine. Now that makes more sense lol. And for sure I'm taking your advice , I'll be using a low HP tune , and I'll do the trans tune just got safety sake. Towing , longevity and reliability are my biggest wants , and better mileage and power gains will be nice too !!! Can't wait

#30 ·
i KEEP hearing that !! Haha

#32 ·
I planned on keeping mine stock forever. Everything I've ever owned has modded so I decided this would be the one to stay stock. After multiple emissions related issues I finally decided enough was enough. Now I've decided this will be the one I build to hell and back and keep forever haha. Will continue being my dd for the next few years then eventually will become a dedicated puller/race truck.

#33 ·
Yeah man , a lot the same here. That "service exhaust ..." Light came on again the other night and was like fuk this, delete just moved up the priority ladder. Mines currently my DD also until I find a beater jeep or something too good a cheap cash deal to turn down , so the mpg gains I imagine would eventually pay for itself.

"Puller/Race Truck" - that'll be sweeeet

Reactions: SilverGorillaLML
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.