Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

NovaMAX013 Build

4K views 38 replies 7 participants last post by  NovaMAX013 
#1 ·
Hello all,

Few weeks ago I purchased my first Duramax. I consider this my "dream truck". I've always wanted a white duramax since I started looking at trucks. Financially I was never able to get into one until now. Had an 07.5 gasser previously I build from stock I bought used. I have done build threads in other forums (Honda stuff) and found it to be both fun and rewarding, plus there is always more to learn and discuss as the build goes on. Better than making a new thread every time. Anyways, sorry for the long winded intro, I'll get to the meat of it now. I am not looking to make this a race truck, but I do want some more performance/mileage for towing my cars around to the tracks. I also plan to lift it and make it my own unique build.

2016 CCSB 3500HD LTZ Z71- Summit White

Currently it is still bone stock except for 20% tint on the front windows and 35% on the windshield and color matched bow ties
I have not debadged it YET, I'm sure I will get that done before long.

I plan on doing 5k 35W HIDs in the headlights and 25W 5K HIDs in the fogs next and slapping a set of weathertech mats in it.

I'm sure I'll do other small things here and there, just haven't put too much thought into it yet

Planned suspension mods:
Cognito 7-9 w/ fox resi shocks, upgraded tie rod/pitman/idler components, upgraded front and rear sway bars
Hoping to squeeze some 24x12's wrapped in 37's under it. IMO 35's just look too small on these trucks. Based of the research I have done its possible, just takes some finesse.
AMP steps

Planned Performance Upgrades:
Delete emissions BS
Fass 150
MBRP DP
Flo pro 5" straight piped (may throw an FTE res in if drone is too loud during towing)
EFI Live and Mini Max tuner
Not too sold on an intake, from what I have seen it's basically just for looks/added sound, I'd rather spend money elsewhere. Please tell me if I am incorrect.
My goal is 450whp/900tq

Nothing too crazy, I have my cars for going fast. This will be a tow rig 1/2 the time and grocery getter/mall crawling pussy truck the other half. I have a company rig so this truck will typically see 1000 miles or less a month.

I am new to the duramax world, but not to the tuning/building/mechanic world so i am looking to learn along the way but I'm not retarded.

Opinions, input and helpful hints are appreciated and encouraged. If you're a negative asshole keep it to yourself :)

I am beyond excited to start wrenching and playing with this thing as the funds allow. I'm thinking performance first as it will be cheaper and slowly gathering suspension/tires/wheels until she's ready to go up. Doing a lot of price shopping and research along the way. A family friend locally here owns Sound Diesel Performance so I plan on using him as a resource for knowledge/help/parts as much as possible as well. If you guys have vendors you like and prefer with good pricing give them a shout out as well. I'll work on getting some pics up.

Thanks

-Andy

See less See more
#2 ·
Few pics to share.

1) The truck I am referencing for this build thread
2) My old gasser. RCD 6" set @ 7 w/ 20x12's and 33's. Also cammed the motor with a comp 269 roller setup and deleted the DOD system
3) My civic I currently race. Built from stock
4) The motor
5) My buddies 1000+whp civic we built- 2nd hit off the trailer this summer went 9.52 @ 154 on lowish boost (850ish whp)

Attachments

#8 ·
I have been doing a lot of research on the lift pumps. Looks like both the FASS and AD are good pieces and well above what I'll need to support my power goals but is there anything that would push someone to go one way or another? I see the AD is more $$, but is that because it is advertised as being larger?

Also, are basically all the down pipes the same? "Just a pipe" right?
I don't buy into marketing hype, been around the performance industry way too long to bite at that stuff. Just want the best option that will last and give me no headaches. Fitment is key IMO.

#9 ·
Right now Airdog's kit is a true kit for the 15+ trucks. With the FASS you have to run a sump and get a mini fuse from the auto store. I am waiting on confirmation from my FASS rep on when their 15+ kit will be available. We typically sell more Airdog kits, but both are great pumps. For the down-pipe we have seen better overall fitment with the MBRP pipe, but they are all a pain to install.

#10 ·
Ahh gotcha. Makes better sense. The way I understood it is BOTH pumps require to drill and sump the fuel tank though. The $150 in price difference is what caught my attention. Usually apples to apples are on par with price.

As for the DP fitment really is my biggest concern. NOTHING is more frustrating than something that doesn't fit well, especially if it's a pain to do to begin with. I'll pay a few extra bucks for craftsmanship quality.

Thanks for the reply. I was poking around your site. Good stuff

#13 ·
After doing research I learned something new and realized EFI live is different from say the Mini Maxx I referenced before. I want to run EFI Live, but want an interface to monitor with instead of buying and installing a bunch of gauges around the cab of the truck, also want to be able to change tunes on the fly. I want to keep the interior clean, simple and stock looking. Any preferences? Can't find a definitive answer but does the edge insight CTS work with the LML and EFI? Looks like it did with the older models.

#19 ·
My thoughts exactly. Not looking for max output, just better driving characteristics

mines a 15 with stage 5 7-9 cognito, cranked most of the way down with 3 inch block in the back instead of the 5 it comes with, 35x12.50x22 toyo rt, 22x12 american force blades. idk how to add a pic to this but u can see my profile i think
I can see the small pic but a side shot would be more helpful. You can pull the file up and drag it into the area below the reply box or go to manage attachments and add them.

#21 ·
Hell yea, looks good. I have been tempted to keep it small and run 35's but 37's just look so damn good on these trucks. If I ran 35's they would be the nitto 325's which are 13 wide and "look" bigger. Did you have to trim the bumper just to clear the 35's w/ 7" of lift? Mind getting me fender measurements? I am pretty good at fitting big tires in not so big places...just takes some math. My dads 70 chevelle has 29x12 radials on it with no tubbing or rubbing and a 3" exhaust. Talk about a squeeze LOL

Thanks brother

#24 ·
Thanks for all the insight. I'm really thinking about trying to go 37's and I think what you've shared makes me feel confident I can make them fit pretty easily. My buddy did a lift on a 15 denali w/ toyo 37's and the fabtech lift set at around 7.5 and hardly had to trim. Cognito set at 8-8.5 on 37's should clear and still have good angles. Just a little iffy since everyone seems to be caught up on regearing for 37's

#27 ·
Good looking rig. With 37's I'd run 24x12's to keep the sidewall smaller, I don;t like a fat tire either.

Have you ever grabbed fender measurements? I'm trying to get a gauge for how big thing truck will be at 7-9 inches of lift.

#28 ·
Ordered up a few goodies from TRS last night.

35w 5500k HID kit
XB LED fogs
Led bulbs for the reverse and license plate lights

Hoping the headlights and fogs match up pretty close in color. I thought about doing an LED bulb for the OEM housing but I hate being the guy that blinds everyone at night and I enjoy have USABLE light. Hoping I like the looks of the XB fogs since they are black and not clear/chrome.

Once I get these installed I'm going to start buying delete parts :grin2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.