DEF Tank Skid Plate, the best!!! - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2011+ LML Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the '11 and up LML Duramax Trucks No Advertising

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2011, 08:41 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

DEF Tank Skid Plate, the best!!!

I just installed my new DEF tank skid plate yesterday. I looked at al the available units and decided to go with the Skyjacker. Reason is, company reputation, quality, AVAILABILITY and price. I looked at the other units avial, form Precison, Fabtach, etc, etc. an dome of those are double/triple the price and you cant even get them, they are backordered, etc.
So, I ordered the SkyJacker unit for only $129.00 and free shipping (Just google Skyjacker DEF plate for retailers). It arrived in three days and I installed it on Friday (yeasterday), the install went so easy and fast, I only had to drill four 5/16" holes on the truck body mounts, it was a very easy install, and the instruction were perfect.
In hindsight, I am glad I got this unit, it doesn't have a bunch of cosmetic holes punched in it for looks(which could allow an object to punch a hole in the tank anyway), it only has two holes for water drainage on the back part of the skid plate. The plate does mount at a very slight angle, towards the back to allow for water drainage, its not even noticable.
I would give SkyJacker a perfect 10 on this product, I am a happy customer.
Attached Images

bobcatjim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2011, 12:27 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

I have the precision skid plate( was thrown in with the truck purchase). No drilling of new truck mounts required, just bolts up to body mount useing existing bolts. I hate drilling holes in a $70,000 truck.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:54 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

I cant disagree with you, that said, I will change my rating of the Skyjacker DEF tank skid plate to a 8.5. For me, I have so many turcks, etc. they are tax write offs for my business, etc.... So it doesn't bother me as much to drill those holes, also living in Denver, we have a dry climate, rust is never an issue.
I'd like to see a good photo of that mount on your truck,,also, I notice you have mud flaps, did you have to drill to put those on? FYI, whenever I drill for mud flaps, etc. I put a dab of the NAPA black supreme silicone in the drilled holes, to help seal from moisture.
bobcatjim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2011, 10:32 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
Oh...... Squirrel!

Ya IMO they should make the skid plate a factory option!
Exterior: Escalade Handles, Front windows tinted to match the rear, painted bumpers & mirrors, billet grille, 305/50/20 Cooper Zeons on BMF Novakanes Death Metal, Cognito Braces, Stainless Sleeves, Train Horns
Interior: 4 Kicker 10in Subs in 2 custom box's, Autometer Ultra lite II Pyro and Boost gauges, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge, HID Lows & Fogs, Painted accents
Performance: EFI Live Tuned by Blackout Performance, Custom Blackout Performance S475 over stock twins, 45 over stock injectors, MBRP Turbo Back Stainless Exhaust (Straight piped), Raptor Lift Pump, AFE Filter, GMAX6 kit with Suncoast 1057 converter installed by Blackout Performance
1999 Ford F-550 PowerStroke ''Wrecker'' **Jerrdan bed, S&B Intake
Tow Master is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2011, 10:41 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
Wreckin' Shop
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tow Master View Post
Ya IMO they should make the skid plate a factory option!
X2 on that.. those both look good and seem pretty sturdy
Old 03-21-2011, 11:24 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcatjim View Post
I cant disagree with you, that said, I will change my rating of the Skyjacker DEF tank skid plate to a 8.5. For me, I have so many turcks, etc. they are tax write offs for my business, etc.... So it doesn't bother me as much to drill those holes, also living in Denver, we have a dry climate, rust is never an issue.
I'd like to see a good photo of that mount on your truck,,also, I notice you have mud flaps, did you have to drill to put those on? FYI, whenever I drill for mud flaps, etc. I put a dab of the NAPA black supreme silicone in the drilled holes, to help seal from moisture.
I don't think the holes you drilled can cause any harm and are not visible so all is good. I used the existing scews that hold fender liner on for the mud flaps, and did drill one into the plastic liner for the bottom of flap. I will get some pics soon of the skid plate, it is all one piece that wraps up around the front and the back and bolts to the body mounts. I also agree the skid plate should come as standard equipment to prevent a stick from poking through the tank.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:53 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

bobcatjim, who makes those nerfbars? Was the def plate all bolt on or did you have to drill to fit?
gmuchin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2011, 10:32 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Now you guys need a lift kit !! That thing hangs down low !!

2007.5 D-MAX, EDGE DIGITAL GAUGES, QUADZILLA WITH DPF DELETE, TUNED AT 90HP NO MORE NO LESS, STRAIGHT PIPED, 17" CHROME SHAKER RIMS WITH 285 70 17 BFG KM2 MUD TERRAIN TIRES, AIR BOX MODIFIED,BUSHWACKER BED CAPS, RECON SMOKED LOW PROFILE CAB LIGHTS

rap2orrider660R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2011, 10:37 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

i like my warranty
gmuchin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2011, 10:50 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
I'm That Guy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmuchin View Post
bobcatjim, who makes those nerfbars? Was the def plate all bolt on or did you have to drill to fit?
His post says he had to drill 4 holes.

CLICK TO READ: FORUM RULES OR DF STAFF!

Thank you Rob Coddens (Idaho Rob), Dustin @ ATP, Scott @ SDP, Kory Willis, and Mike L. for all of your help!

05 LLY CCSB 4wd - Mods coming (Truck Love from ATP Trucks and Copperhead Diesel expected soon)
SOLD: 05 LLY, 05 LLY, 09 LMM, 02 LB7

Build Threads : 2005 Chevy Silverado | 1978 Ford Bronco (Sister Site)
TDFDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.