OnStar phone app anyone ? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2011 and up (Non Powertrain) Discussion of 2011+ topics not related to powertrain

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 01:38 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

OnStar phone app anyone ?

havent found any recent chatter on the onstar app

any new updates making this work better?

im guessing the remote start feature only works if you have a factory remote start option on the truck already?

why is everyone so worried about "big brother" tracking them via Onstar... what can they really be watching and who really cares?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2012, 02:10 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
Retired DF contributer
Lifetime Supporting Member

A few Duramax Forum members have downloaded the OnStar app. PM the person on page 3 and ask him/her about it.

"They" can monitor just about anything you can read through the OBD II port, certain things some people would rather keep to themselves.

-status of emissions equipment (deleted or not)
-exact location of vehicle
-speed
-etc., etc., etc.

OnStar CAN come in handy for diagnosing DTCs and CELs if you do not have a code reader handy.

If you aren't concerned with it, put it out of your mind.
JOKER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 02:25 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

I have the app and i love it. start my truck from where ever i am and lock or unlock it too. its not as intrusive as some think. the app can not track you. onstar can only track you with your expressed permeation. and if you have onstar and the government wants to know where you are the have to get a subpoena to access your tracker same as if they want to track of bug your cell phone unless you are suspected of terrorist activity them your free game per the patriot act. get the app you will love it i use it all the time.
2011 2500HD LT, white on black, Longbed crew cab Z71, Fatbobsgarage.com leveling keys, Cognito UCA's, prototype Gibson DPF back exhaust, Banks cold air intake,, t/b blade removed, heater grid removed, Eagle alloy 079 18x9 with a zero offset & 35/12.50-R18,.
2010 Tahoe LT, white on black, ground force 1.5 / 2.5 drop kit, Crome bowtie's
2006 FSC3200 weekend warrior toy hauler.
2000 Unlimited RPM's mid travel turbo rotary sand car.
Uknowme8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 07:12 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

I love the app. I love getting txt an address and sending to my factory in dash nav.

48548 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 08:55 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

How long does it take to unlock the truck once you hit the unlock button? Big delay?
Old 12-26-2012, 08:58 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesseowen27 View Post
How long does it take to unlock the truck once you hit the unlock button? Big delay?
Depends on cell coverage, signal goes from phone to Internet then to the vehicle Through onstar over cell. Also the pin has to be correct as well. I would say if you are lucky 25 seconds, but it does confirm the vehicle is running.
48548 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 09:00 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

5-10 seconds sometimes less
however the only down side if you do not drive the truck for like 5or 7 days or more the vehicle will go into "hibernation" and your phone will NOT work as well as onstar direct. i locked my keys in my truck this summer on purpose it was not parked at home didn't want to bring my keys with locked with my phone had to go home and get a spare after we got home
2015 Yukon Denali 24s
whitemax&al is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 10:04 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

It can be a bit of fun to use as well. I got a text from my wife who was at school 15 miles away asking me to start the truck. I used the onstar app on my phone to start the truck so that it was a bit warmed up by the time she got there. Her classmates were quite impressed and called her spoiled .
Joegovette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 03:27 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

Last summer I was out in the middle of Lake Tahoe, CA when the wife was supposed to pick up my truck from the Des Moines, IA airport for a Ziebart appointment. I was able to unlock the truck for her on a boat in the middle of a giant lake. That's pretty damn cool if you ask me!
Bfoster50620 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 04:39 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

It works pretty good! Has a slight delay and sometimes it wont update unless the truck is on and you manually refresh it. Other than that I like it, especially the fact that you can setup directions from your phone without talking to someone who can't speak english. Also the remote feature is great for when the key fob is out of range. If they could expand the app to read codes that would be great!
Power Uprgrades:
none...
Wish List: work in progress!
Farmtrk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.