Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Peeling oem 18" wheels. Powder coat?

15K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  fixy2273 
#1 ·
I decided to take advantage of some nice weather this weekend and give the truck a good spring cleaning. Now I ran it through the car wash frequently this winter to try to keep the salt off, but when I went to work on my passenger side front wheel, I noticed the clear coat peeling on it. I realize it is hard to see in the pictures but about 1/4 of the wheel is peeling.

I've been reading that this isn't necessarily uncommon, unfortunately. I'm still under the 3yr/36k so I plan to take it in to the dealership this week.

I like the wheels, and I've been thinking that when this happens again after my warranty expires, I might just get them powder coated. I really think it would look good on my truck and would hold up better than the factory finish. Does anyone here have any pictures of these wheels powder coated?

See less See more
#2 ·
I had the same problem on my 2011 dealer replaced all wheels make sure to ask if they will put the balance weights on the inside, the corrosion starts around the wheel weights.

#4 ·
Mine did it too (2012) and dealer has "refinished" them twice, third time and I'm gonna scream "lemon law"! Love the wheels but hate the bubbling!

#8 ·
How much do you want and where are you located?

#6 ·
I have the same wheels on my 2013 and it doesn't have any weights attached to the outer lip. The weights are adhesive weights that are stuck to the inside of the rim.

#9 ·
I'm hoping to get new wheels later this year. Taking the OEMs to the scrapyard afterwards.

#10 ·
It seems common that the dealer will replace them. I would ask for new ones to be put on now for spring/summer and then ask to keep the old ones for winter next year. Seems like a reasonable request because they will just end up replacing them again.

#11 ·
They have to send in old rims, the dealer used to scrap them, no more gm gets them refurbished

#12 ·
They've ordered a new rim for me and I'm going to have them switch all the wheel weights when I take it back in. I had to drop the truck off and wasn't able to speak face to face with the service manager when I was in, but I intend to do that when I take it back for the new wheel. There is less severe bubbling, but still some minor bubbling on another wheel and they really should have ordered 2. I asked them to look at all 4 wheels, but I'm not sure they did.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.