Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

2015 Sierra HID install

202K views 388 replies 104 participants last post by  ron mexico75 
#1 ·
Installed my Morimoto Sierra Spec 35W 5K HID kit last night in my 2015 Sierra Denali HD Duramax. I absolutely love this kit from The Retrofit Source! Amazing build quality and they work spot on. I had zero issues installing them and they put out extremely good light.

The airbox will need to be removed during installation of this kit.

You do need to drill a hole in each of the two light covers that must be removed to gain access to the factory bulbs. These spin off by turning counter clockwise. Make sure not to drill the hole too large to where the grommet will no longer seal. Once the hole is drilled you can now run the supplied HID bulb wires and extension through the hole and seal it up with the supplied grommet.

Once these are ran and sealed you can now install the HID bulbs and re-install the covers by turning clockwise.

Next will be running the harness and mounting the ballasts and igniters. This is your preference to where you want them but I have shown pictures where I mounted mine. Make sure to install the relays upright so no water can sit in them. The HID harness will get its source power from the drivers side factory bulb connector. There will be a supplied extension attached to the HID bulb grommet that you will use to connect, the passenger will not be used.

Here are some pics after install..

Low Beam only

High Beam only

See less See more
#2 ·
#54 ·
Thanks for the info Smoke, very helpful. One question, did you unhook the MAF when you removed the air box on the passenger side install? I see jellis said he did and got a CEL, I didn't want to mess with clearing that if I didn't have to.

#3 ·
Love mine, head and shoulders above the stock sh*t.

I drilled holes in the drivers side panel and used pop rivets to secure the ballast, then I ran everything else under the plastic cover panel, including all wiring, relays, pass side ballast etc, the right side light was a pain with the air box removal, after unplugging the MAF, I got a CEL but was able to clear it with the CTS.

#4 ·
Pieces of the kits are already back ordered from there

#5 ·
No suprise! Great kit, when I ordered mine I had to wait a couple days for ballasts.

#6 ·
Did you go with the 4300k? It's been a few vehicles ago I did HID lights and don't remember if I went 4300k or 5000k

#7 ·
Went with 5K 35w

#9 ·
Just ordered the 4300k kit - we will see when it comes.

#10 ·
Have 4300k kit with 55 watt ballasts from them and loving it too! Top notch product. I also put 4300k HIDs in the fogs, currently have 35 watt ballasts, but about to move down to 25 from another distributor just because they don't make them.

#11 ·
Nice, Ya you definitely want to stick with 25w for fogs.

#12 ·
nice, I just installed mine Friday night (ordered the kit on Black Friday). I didnt order the HD Relay harness (not sure why it doesnt just come with the kit, and have the canbus be an add on) but it works fine without it(ill order it eventually, but is not needed to work. May decrease the lifespan of my ballasts, but oh well). After removing the airbox it installs nice and easy.

ONE THING TO NOTE. the plugs that go to the factory headlight harness can plug in either way (for polarity). if you get it all hooked up and one of the headlights (or both) doesnt turn on, flip that plug around. I messed around with the ballasts and plugs and everything for 20 minutes before I realized they were two way plugs. I was getting frustrated hahaha

#16 ·
Sweet! If you purchase the Sierra Spec kit it comes with everything. Harness and all, plug and play!

#13 ·
Forgive this ignorant question.

Is the different between 4300 and 5k just light spectrum/color? Why did you guys chose 4300 over the 5k?

Info for fog light upgrade would be appreciated.

Reactions: blackmax64
#18 · (Edited)
If you are going to run HID's in your fogs stay with a 25w, the higher wattage kits will burn your reflectors and lenses. The bulb is a 5202.

#14 ·
Ive got the morimoto projectors, morimoto xb-35 4300k bulbs, morimoto 50 watt ballasts, and their hd relay headed towards me i hope. I ordered it all monday night last week, so today makes 7 days
Guess they are low on stock as everything i read said they normally had super quick shipping.

The reason we go with 4300k is because its the most efficient temp for an hid. Will look pretty much factory, with a heck of alot more light. 5k are ok to if u like a hint of blue, with a little less lumens then a 4300k

#23 ·
Does anyone know what the cross references are for the 9012 bulb or the hr2. I am trying to order some bulbs from ddm but cannot find a cross reference to a bulb that they carry. Maybe they don't carry them!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#24 ·
It is a 9012, you can use a 9006 bulb and trim down the tap.

#25 ·
Is it a 9006 bulb without high/low? I do not see the high/low option for the 9006. I have a Gmc and I think that it only has one bulb for high and low beams

#28 ·
What year is your truck?

#26 ·
The 2015 GMC like mine has one single bulb. There is a bypass gate in the projector that moves for high/low operation.

#27 ·
We have a 9012 which is similar to a 9006 but the top tap I believe is wider on a 9006. The new Silverados have 9012 Low and 9011 High... Like 9006/9005 on the older trucks.

#29 ·
Thanks man. I will take a look at both the 9012 and 9006 options. My truck is a 2015 sierra 2500 lml. I can't see anything from the factory headlights and need to do some changing fast. My 2011 would light up the night compared to these.

#30 ·
Are the Morimoto's that much better than the ddm's? I've been using ddm's for about 5 years now with minimal issues but if the Morimoto's are actually worth the extra $130 then I might consider them

#31 ·
IMO, yes.... The Sierra Spec kit that The Retrofit Source sells is a piece of art. It comes with a double relay harness and canbus so you will not have any issues. The 35w kit has a 5 year warranty.

I have had some issues with DDM but have had some work great and for the money I'd say they are the best.

I just got sick of replacing Ballasts or bulbs that I wanted to upgrade and spend a little more.

The warm up on the Morimoto seams to be almost instant compared to the cheaper brands.

#32 ·
Sounds good. I will weigh my options tonight and see what I want to do. I have done a ton of installs of ddm lights and have a bunch of spare pieces from warranty stuff. If I have a ballast go out I have a few new ones. That's the only thing that keeps me leaning toward them I won't have to wait two weeks for them to come in haha

#37 ·
4300 should be very close as well

#34 ·
From what I understand and have read, the 4300k matches the best but cannot contest on it as I do not have them. Hopefully someone will chime in that has seen both

#35 ·
IMO, 5K

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.