Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

2015 GMC Duramax leveled with lowering links

11K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  Sport45 
#1 · (Edited)
After a lot of lurking and gaining information, its time to contribute to the forum.

My dad recently bought a 2015 GMC Dmax crew cab Z71, but hated the stock stance from an aesthetic standpoint, and for function. Compared to his leveled with 285's '02 HD, the '15 was really hard to work out of the bed. So, we decided to go down the back in an attempt to improve form and function.

As-delivered:

Front:

Rear:

Went with the McGaughy's MMC-33200 lowering shackles that have a 1" and 2" drop possible. These were just under $100 shipped from Summit.

These were a straight forward bolt in mod, but I did need to slightly bend a pinch weld on the bottom of the bed for clearance... no big deal, and easily done with a pliers.

This is the truck with just the lowering links installed, and front untouched:

Rear measurement:

It still had more rake than I wanted, so 4 turns on the bars and now its sitting just right.

New front gap measurement:

Comparison of 100% stock vs. leveled to my liking. Next up will be a set of 285/65r18 BFG K02 AT's with the white letter out.

Hopefully this helps out anyone else considering the same approach to leveling.

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
Correct, the truck is currently set up with the max amount of lowering possible.

I've seen a few guys remove the overload leaf to get another 3/4" drop, but I didn't want to lose any capability, and it puts the truck a little lower than I like, anyway.

#7 ·
Nice job! Good alternative for people with fifth wheel trailers, lower the back of the truck instead of flipping axles on the trailer.

#8 ·
Took longer than I wanted, but the new tires are on, and I am very happy with the result. I went with 285/65-18 BFG K02 AT's for several reasons:
- wider than stock, but same overall OD, so speedo is still accurate
- one of the few to offer raised white letters, which were a mist
- they have an aggressive look but still good street manners.

Its also slowly being dressed for work with the tool box, and soon to get an LED beacon.

#9 ·
Nicely done. Everything you did to this truck is form and function.

I will probably be going this route with my silverado soon. Thanks for the pics for reference

#12 ·
The tire change was mainly for looks, to be honest. I hated the wimpy highway tread of the Michelin AT's (calling them an AT is a stretch at the least), and prefer the raised white letter look. It also needed a little bit more sidewall bulge than the 265's provided.

The ride quality didn't change, since all I did was use lowering shackles. The overload leafs are still in place as well.

#13 ·
See if you can fit a finger between the leaf and the box seam now. I had to smash my lip over to clear the 2" setting, there is just enough gap that when hauling my car the rubber stretches enough to hit the seam. Drives me mental.

Reactions: SheeB
#15 ·
Looks very nice! i just got my new 295/65/18 Duratracs on and ive been thinking of getting Cognito UCA and leveling it up to match the rear end but this would be a cheaper route to go.

#16 ·
I had to bend the seam over as well, and the spring is definitely close to the bed now. I haven't towed anything serious with it yet, so not sure if it will make any contact when loaded.

Not sure on how much the 4 turns threw off the alignment... they just said "it wasn't bad".

Sharp truck, GM4ever. I wanted to go with the Duratracs, but raised white letters were a requirement.

#18 ·
FWIW, I have had 4 dually's now all with shackles messed around with, the speck is "pretty damn tight" torque is more for not overtightening , never had one loosen and just made them good and tight.
If you are doing sulastics then torque is important.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.