Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

How not to level w/ pics

5K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  Schm 
#1 ·
Picture below is my bosses new "lifted" 2500hd. You'll notice his UCA's are touching the frame stop. I tried to tell him to get UCA's, but he thinks it rides great! Other than a crappy ride and shocks that are already maxed out, what problems could this create down the road? Just curious.

The second picture is his old truck, and my new one. With slightly cranked T-bars and 3/4" of between UCA and frame stop.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
He obviously doesn't take his truck offroad. Just have him hit a speed bump at 5mph. He'll change is mind then.

#5 ·
second picture looks much better but still may need shock extenders or aftermarket 0-1 shocks to keep shocks in it. First picture not sure how that would be a good ride even on a flat surface let us know how this works out????

#6 · (Edited)
I still cannot figure out why people spend all the money to get these trucks and then cheapen out on parts for like this level or lift job he has done? Is it just me or what?

I think it would cost him more in parts down the road then if he had done this right sometimes.

But as they have said above shocks, ball joints, pitman arm, idler arm are just a few that would be on my look out list to keep track of fast wear.

#13 ·
He's going to be replacing his UBJ's and shocks long before two years is up. Also with the angle that his UBJ shaft is probably at I'd be worried it might break while he's driving and that could cause a lot of pain, in more ways than one. I also can't see how he can get a proper wheel alignment with the UCA sitting on the bump stop.

#8 ·
I'm going to guess that he cranked the stock keys and he should at least use leveling keys. Either way, he is way over cranked. He should just back them off.

#9 ·
Why would he need leveling keys? The stock ones do just fine, hell they cranked the uca's onto the stops.

Reactions: Canadian sledhead
#19 ·
If it's a z71 or has a plow package it is. Did it on my LMM by accident, only took a sec to lower it down some.

Op he's gonna destroy his shocks without extenders (did this too with new ranchos), and like I did in my LLY if he is on any rough roads he'll bust a ball joint and be walking.

#11 ·
The point is that it isn't even possible to go any higher regardless of what keys are in there.

#14 ·
Yeah for sure on the issues. it's just a truck in his mind, with a little more height for getting a 1000lbs plow over curbs. Even with the plow on, the UCA's are basically touching.

I believe the keys are stock, the rear has at least 1.5" more than stock (block). But the entirety of the "lift" kit is cranked t-bars, bigger rear block, wheel spacers to fit 295r20's. It looks mean from afar, but I realized quickly it was a hack job that he was likely overcharged for.

I gave him all the info I thought of, UCA's, extenders. But he's adamant the ride is great. I don't see how it would, but it's his truck/his choice. Figured it might get a laugh out of the forum haha

#15 ·
"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink". Looks like he's going to find out the hard way when he starts having problems and his wallet starts taking a big hit, not to mention if he has any part(s) failures while he is driving...When you don't do something correctly it sometimes has a way of coming back and biting you in the a$$, however, as you mentioned, it's his truck and he can do what he likes with it. :rolleyes:

#22 ·
Agreed, however if he has an accident or crash because of a part failure, owning part of that dealership isn't going to help much if he ends up seriously hurt, or worse.

#18 ·
Most likely, try to make sure you keep 3/4" between your UCA and the frame stop minimum. Keeping that clearance will allow for the suspension to articulate within its mostly stock range, and shouldn't overtax your balljoints, though they will likely wear at a faster rate. Down the road, I would strongly consider adding UCA's down the road, cognito and kryptonite make good options. The new UCA's will help restore lost ride quality, keep suspension moving properly with added clearance (different angles), and a balljoint that will be at the correct angle for a leveled truck. Kryptonite parts have a lifetime warranty, even the balljoint.

#20 ·
It's a Z71 and plow prep.

The shocks were toast off the assembly line :p those ranchos stink
I'm waiting for the call when he says "come grab me an hour away, my front end died)

Correct me if i'm wrong, if the ball joint breaks, wouldn't the whole assembly collapse? I.e. wheel falls outward, and straight screwed then?

#23 ·
It's a Z71 and plow prep.

Correct me if i'm wrong, if the ball joint breaks, wouldn't the whole assembly collapse? I.e. wheel falls outward, and straight screwed then?
Yes it would and can you imagine if you're flying down the interstate and that happened??? It wouldn't be a pretty sight.

#21 ·
Depends, I saw a new 15 that completely fell apart wiping out the front end and mine was popping and sqeeking, so I left it set and put a new control arm on where it sat

And the new control arms look stouter but where mine was so close to the stops they would bend and need aligned constantly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.