Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Opinions please!

2K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  DIRTYMAX9786 
#1 ·
Looking for opinions on what to do:

I currently have a 2015 Dodge ram 2500 4x4 quad cab cummins auto with thuren coils in the front and king 2.5 shocks, american force wheels, toyo tires, bed liner, amp steps etc. Bought it brand new still like new with 4200 miles on it. I'm on the fence as to whether I want to sell it and buy a new Denali Duramax or keep it. I've talked to a bunch of the tuner guys and they all say they would go duramax if they were buying a new truck because you can add more power, its faster etc etc. I'm a cummins guy, this is my 6th one, but I drove my buddies who had ppei tuning on it and wasn't impressed. I love the truck, but its slow and the dead pedal sucks, but I do like how clean it is with not being deleted, but hate it at the same time. I just read on here that PPEI has some new tunes that are supposed to be much better.

So should I sell this and buy a duramax? Keep it and just do a bd throttle booster for the time being and put money to finishing up the thuren suspension in the rear? Delete it and enjoy it? I love the cummins motor for the torque and know that nothing else compares in that regards, but also worried about having tranny issues, though I imagine that this thing being so new should last for a while since I don't drive it that hard. I mostly just want to make it more fun to drive. Sadly I do live in the worst state for smog stuff, so have to take all that into consideration as well.

Enough said, let the opinions roll in! Talk me out of the duramax, or buy my truck?

Thanks for reading!

See less See more
#2 ·
Buddy of mine is a huge cummins freak. He's been in my rig a few times. He sold his cummins and is now looking for an obs duramax. They both have there issues, which issues would you rather be dealing with?

Your asking this on a duramax supported forum. If you want unbiased, you may want to try the Ford forums since your not considering a powerjoke. Otherwise, duramax all the way.

#3 ·
So far I've had 6 Cummins and one Duramax. Had a 2008 ltz and it never really impressed me other than how good it looked and nice it was inside. I already posted this on Cummins forum and heard those comments, now hoping for some more on here. My Cummins is gorgeous and I love it, but the Denalis look so nice and can make some decent power with just tuning. The Denali interior wasn't as impressive as I hoped, but it's still a really nice truck. Decisions decisions

#4 ·
Yeah, the LML is a pretty impressive power plant. 150hp tune, 200 if you put on a lift pump. There not slouches. Stock to stock, duramax. I think the year the 6.4 came out was the only year Chevy got knocked off there thrown for power. My 06 was able to beat my buddies 11 6.7 Ford stock. I ran a 12v reg cab cummins with a big turbo, fuel upgrades, with just tuning (if I'm completely honest, I have never lost a race to a diesel truck yet).

I'm quite fond of the older body's, but the LML has certainly grown on me for ease of adding power.

What are your plans for the truck though? Biggest difference GM has going for them is a comfortable ride. Power wise, everything is pretty close. And if you don't tow much, then tow capacity isn't a consideration...

#5 ·
I looked at both the Dmax and the Cummings when I was looking at trucks, but I couldn't get over the fact at how fast Ram's seem to start to rust. I'm not sure of their metal treatments, but I don't think it is quite up to par when compared to what GM & Ford are doing. I work in the automotive industry, so I'm around different vehicles quite a bit and it's pretty bad when you see a truck that isn't that old already showing signs of rust. I've also seen this on multiple Ram's, so its not like I have seen one truck that someone didn't wash regularly etc. Just something to consider if you plan on keeping a Cummings long term.

#7 ·
For God's sake.... Another guy that loves American farces and wants a Denali race truck ****:

Reactions: Durtymax67
#10 ·
i had 2 rams prior to my gmc. rams are a bigger, more robust truck. some features are way nicer, like the exhaust brake and the computer system. the exhaust brake in the gm is garbage. the radio system seems like it is 10 years old. the seats are garbage, there is more interior plastic and rattles. the gmc is definitely way faster with no pedal lag compared to the ram.
overall the ram seemed like a better build. the only reason i got rid of my last one was because Juan and Jose had too many tequilas before they welded my frame and my frame ended up as part of the recall.

my buddy just picked up a super duty. now i am looking at those. although those have their problems as well.

#12 ·
I've never had any issues with the exhaust brake, works flawless through the western rockies. TFL also noticed that the EB was better in the GM vs the Ram ->

#11 ·
Buy a Duramax VAN. VANs are better cause theyre creepy. Chicks dig cargo VANs. peek: thumbup

Reactions: DaJokr
#16 ·
You guys all have more much more unbiased opinions than the guys on cummins forum. They all said keep the cummins haha I do appreciate everyones responses on here and while I still am completely confused I think I might leave it up to fate and have listed my cummins and if someone buys it I'll try a denali and if not I'll keep the cummins.

#20 ·
i loved my ram. it had a full Carli suspension system on it. it was a great truck. the only thing i did not like was the slow pedal lag. i would have kept it if it did not have a recalled frame/track bar bracket with no fix. i was so pissed about Chryslers “fix” I just walked. it was a huge safety issue i could not risk.

#19 ·
I have had 3 dodge trucks with the cummins engine 1998, 2002, and 2014 2500 laramie longhorn. The prefer the new ram over my 2015.5 denali, my denali is just as nice but does not feel like a 3/4 ton truck to me. I had PPEI tunes on both the 14 ram and the 15 duramax,my advice is keep your ram and delete it, its a completely different truck once you delete. The only reason I sold my ram was because after I lifted it and put 24's with 37's it rode terrible. My next truck will most likely be another ram.

#21 ·
With both Ram and Gm being good trucks, had a 2010 and a 2012 Ram 2500 both SLT's and now have the 2016 Denali 2500, the exhaust brake is stronger on the Ram, there is more room on the I6 for us to work on it. Both have a bad fuel filter placement, have leaks on the onstar antenna and third brake light, the GMC has wire rubbing issues. GMC has a lubeable front end while the Ram does not, the Ram has the front end spinning in 2WD, the Ram is not protected underneath like the GMC, but man does that grease like stuff get all over ya, the Allison is a smoother shifting tranny. Both handle about the same. So each has it's ups and downs. So far we love the Denali and as I use the beast I'll know more. My 2 cents. If you haven't sold yet and can wait a few years until we see how the GM 2017 performs, that would be my buy.

#22 ·
I had a 2011 Mega Cab. Great truck, no issues except with front end. When I sold it, it needed ball joints at 55000 miles, and new owner just had to replace an axle u joint and some steering parts at 60000 miles. As for comparison to my new LTZ, they are both very nice. New one rides better, Allison is a much smoother transmission, and fuel mileage is much better. Both are equally comfortable, though the New Ram laramie interiors are hard to beat. Ram also has better LED lighting. The only truck I would stay away from is the Powerstroke.

~the Captain

2016 Chevy 2500Hd, PPEI tuned, CAT back exhaust, 2.5" Zone Level Kit, Moto Metal 970 wheels/Nitto Terra Grapler G2's, Custom Cab lights

#23 ·
If you have had multiple Dodge diesels go with the Duramax. I think you will love it. They all have there issues brands / years. But the ride, power, transmission and just overall is great. The engine is hard to work around but have some patience. Nothing against Dodge either my buddy has a 2012 mega cab and its a power house as well. Go with the Denali man!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.