L5P reliability - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2017+ L5P Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

L5P reliability

Hello Friends,

I have been researching everything for some time now and I'm pretty sure I want the L5P. The only reason I wouldn't is if it would be a lemon the first year in which case I would be buying a leftover LML. Is there any reason to believe that this motor needs to be proved? Or do we trust the engineers didn't screw anything up?

I ask these questions because I don't believe that any group of engineers believes that their product will fail or be unreliable. You can't tell me that the engineers behind the powerstroke 6.0, 6.4 and even the 7.3 weren't top notch guys; but their product wasn't worth trusting. Maybe the 6.7 is great but I am not going to trust them again until Cummins and Duramax can't do a good job (which I don't forsee).

I believe that the same caliber of guys built the LB7, and those were so very reliable and have only gotten better and better as time has gone on.

That makes me wonder if it was luck on the Duramax team for the first LB7. Do we doubt the L5P because it was designed by GM and not by Isuzu (correct me if I'm wrong there), or because it is all new.

I would expect GM to take great care in the release of the L5P lest they estrange their base of diesel enthusiasts, however I thought it was suicide to watch Ford doing as they have done for years now and they are still around.....somehow.

Unless someone changes my mind I will be ordering an L5P soon, if anyone doubts its ability or reliability PLEASE speak up here.

TIA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 12:55 PM

Welcome to the forum. Let us know what you think of the L5P after you get one...

2007 2500HD LBZ GMC Sierra Classic Crew Cab SLT 4WD
MBRP DP Back 5" Exhaust
MBRP DP
LB7 right side up pipe
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 02:14 PM

Let me look into my crystal ball.... Yup, the new L5P is going to be awesome!
finna_cuttt likes this.

2015.5 GMC Denali 3500 SRW CC SB 4x4 D/A in Summit white.

2012 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 3500 SRW CC SB 4x4 D/A in Graystone metallic. Traded

2003 GMC SLE 2500 CC SB 4x4 D/A in Summit white. SOLD

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 02:26 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Welcome aboard.

In your opinion were any of LLY, LLY/LBZ, LMM, LML first year lemons?

Everyone including GM will acknowledge the were/are emission issues with LML (the '11's were are recalled to address this -- and we still debate about the success.

LB7 had well documented fuel system issues.

LLY (04.5 -05 version) is/was known for the potential to overheat in certain situations.

I'd don't get the connection you're trying to make between LB7 and L5P.

2011 GMC 2500 LML CCSB 4x4 SLT
sold 2010 GMC 2500 LMM CCSB 4x4 SLT
sold 2004.5 GMC 2500 LLY ECLB 4x4 SLE
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 04:05 PM

Garage
Reading the info it looks like the factory did all the aftermarket has been doing to the LMM & LML to make it better and more reliable and rolled most of it into the L5P , I would hope the 17 has most of the emissions bugs worked out and maybe the 16 Steering bug that is raising its ugly head ! ! Gale Banks has had it awhile now and seems to be pretty pleased with it.

2015 GMC Denali Dually Yukon Door handles/color matched Grille/ Black Belt Moldings/ tint all windows/BW hitch/98Gal transfer-flow bed tank / led BU lights/20"AE wheels Mich. 265/60/20 defender tires /husky rear flaps /cargo box/mats
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwngr View Post
Welcome aboard.

In your opinion were any of LLY, LLY/LBZ, LMM, LML first year lemons?

Everyone including GM will acknowledge the were/are emission issues with LML (the '11's were are recalled to address this -- and we still debate about the success.

LB7 had well documented fuel system issues.

LLY (04.5 -05 version) is/was known for the potential to overheat in certain situations.

I'd don't get the connection you're trying to make between LB7 and L5P.

I guess that "lemon" is a strong word. "More problematic" would have been more correct. My point was that the LB7 was pretty good right out of the gate and that makes me feel like they wouldn't screw up a redesign to create the L5P. I was just wondering if the LB7 success was dumb luck because for the life of them Ford cannot get it right and I don't believe their engineers are stupid.

Everything I read gives me great confidence in the L5P, I am just searching for opinions of anyone who doesn't agree.

2001 Dodge Cummins 2500 2X4 LBEC 225,0000 miles.
2002 Dodge Cummins 2500 2X4 LB 318,000 miles.
2005 Chevrolet 1500 5.3 V-8 2X4 LB 140,000 miles.

Sold the powerstrokes and felt bad for those guys.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 07:38 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Garage
I am with you on the new Dmax motor. I feel it will be excellent.

Think about how much warranty wok has gone into each LML
ANY company would invest in R&D to stop hemorrhaging money to fix a long term problem. I bet that's why they went with a new DPF design. I'll order one after I hit 100k on mine

So next year for the 2018

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015.5 2500 CC/SB, PCV Reroute, Res. Delete, Nitto Ridge Grap. 275/70/16, XD misfit Wheels (FOR SALE), S&B Intake, MotorOps tunes via Meyers Performance. FASS 150, Beans Sump, Blocker Plates

Coming soon/Plans:
Down pipe, 4'' Exhaust, EGR Delete, Intercooler, intercooler pipes, PPE pipes, SDP trans

SHEEPDOG
Til-Valhalla
The Dysfunctional Veteran
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 09:26 AM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Why did they switch from a Garrett turbo to a Borg Warner turbo is what I'm confused with? Not that Borg Warner turbos aren't great, I just don't see what made them make the switch?

2005 2500 Silverado LLY [Sold]
2008 Ram 2500 6.7
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 09:50 AM

The LP5 is the 1st year that GM is making the motor totally in house vs the previous Izuzu diesel influence. One really positive thing is that the Bosch injection system is gone for 17 and the Denso system is in. For starters, I don't know if anyone has any data showing the HP4 system is any better. The emissions strategy should be better than before with a passive regen approach (something that the Ford guys got right the 1st time).
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 09:51 AM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBlackTruck View Post
The LP5 is the 1st year that GM is making the motor totally in house vs the previous Izuzu diesel influence. One really positive thing is that the Bosch injection system is gone for 17 and the Denso system is in. For starters, I don't know if anyone has any data showing the HP4 system is any better. The emissions strategy should be better than before with a passive regen approach (something that the Ford guys got right the 1st time).
Denso injectors as well?

2005 2500 Silverado LLY [Sold]
2008 Ram 2500 6.7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode