2017 Tranny Issues - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2017+ L5P Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

64Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 203 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

2017 Tranny Issues

I only have 500 miles on my new 2017 2500 but I'm noticing a terrible tranny slip at slow acceleration, almost getting nothing followed by an almost graceful clunk into gear.

I believe the trannys have a memory on them that memorizes your driving patterns but I don't recall my 16 being this bad, the downshifting is also vert agressive.

Also, the other day I had the truck shut off on me when shifting from reverse to drive.

Last edited by Frenchy93; 01-31-2017 at 07:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 203 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 09:02 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Hi Frenchy93,

This is not the kind of experience we want you to have in your new truck. If you would like for us to look into this further, and reach out to the dealership, let us know in a private message! Be sure to include your VIN, current mileage, contact information and preferred dealership.

Best,

Bret B.
GM Customer Care

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html
post #3 of 203 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Well, 1100 KM in and I can honestly say this is the absolute WORST truck I have ever owned. The trans is so bad I'm shocked it was even allowed to leave the plant. The truck rarely sees any lower than 1500 rpm, even when going down hill with foot off the gas, the truck is always revving high, as high as about 2200 at times. It can take up to a couple seconds of light acceleration for the truck to engage. Driving at high speeds seems okay though.

Fuel milage is absolutely terrible as well, averaging 12.5 MPG compared to my previous trucks around 15 MPG. I'm hoping this is caused by the constant over revving.

Hoping to find the time to take it in on Monday.

For the record, I have had 3 brand new duramaxes in the past year and a half.
Bigpuddie likes this.

post #4 of 203 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 11:16 AM
DuramaxForum n00b

I have to agree with Frenchy93, I traded in a 2015 2500 for a 2017 3500 and am really regretting my decision. I have about 1100 miles on so far and it is just not getting any better. I noticed during normal acceleration it seems to be at its worst. I am hoping this will get better. Maybe I had high expectations but my 2015 would walk away hands down from this truck. The old truck was very fun to drive, this one has such a lag when hitting the gas it feels like it is not getting fuel and then finally catches up and takes off. Still imho it is just plain slow.
post #5 of 203 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 08:16 PM

I'm having a handful of the problems that are mentioned on the forum in a couple of these different threads and the newest one happened tonight when I turned off the truck it sounded like the turbo never stopped spinning and when it did the sound it made sounded like the bearings went bad and it grumbled to a stop I just hit 700 miles... Also I have the transmission surge and the tapping sound on deceleration which I was told by my dealer it was the wastegate on the turbo making that noise... Almost forgot with just over 100 miles one it the engine light went on and the said it was moisture that caused that (Whatever) I was told there will be some updates coming out that will take care of these problems but I heard that before from my dealer/GM after a 2 year battle with them to try and fix my transmission on my 15 Yukon Denali and now my replacement vehicle is having problems already...!! What blows my mind is that they knew they had all these problems before they shipped our trucks out and it doesn't seem that they really cared... Thanks GM for another quality vehicle!!

2017 GMC 2500hd
6.5 BDS lift
Fuel Cleaver 20x12
Toyo RT 35x13.50
1" Front Bumper Spaced out
post #6 of 203 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 09:12 PM

Garage
The trans are defenetly wacky
post #7 of 203 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 09:43 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Mine just gets better with every mile. I haven't been abusive by any means but I have been dragging a trailer a few times a week and let it rip a few times going down the highway.

I'm not saying your driving habits are your problem because I have no idea how you drive. I will say try running it hard if you aren't already. See how it responds.

17 HC 2500 CCSB 4x4
14 LTZ 2500 CCSB 4x4 ..Sold..
post #8 of 203 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 08:21 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

The transmission tuning on these 17's are by far superior to any other earlier stock duramax.. I love mine..

And truck has noticeably more power than a stock lml for sure.. This is by far my favorite truck I've ever owned.. Sounds like yalls have some issues or something that I'd take to dealer and say fix it..
speedster100 likes this.

2011 CCSB GMC/ EFI by Ridgerunner/ 5" MBRP exhaust/ FASS 150 lift pump/egr delete, lb7 up-pipe, pcv re-route, 10 mm cp3 exergy stroker pump, billet s463 single turbo, y-bridge kit and IC pipes, Mishimoto CAC, built transmission by WCFab with SC kit and 1058 convertor. (truck is retired now)

2017 GMC CCSB L5P, bought Jan. 17. New color called dark slate metallic.
post #9 of 203 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 12:18 PM

Well according to gm they did very few changes to the Allison to put up with the l5p. I know the 16s had a hard downshift and a few little quirks that were just calibration related. No sure if there's any bulletins out yet

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

2006 LBZ, EFI Live from duramaxtuner.com/motor ops with transmission tuning(STRONGLY RECOMMEND), FASS 150 Titanium series, 3 inch MBRP downpipe, 4 inch MBRP free flowing exhaust system(factory muffler back on to kill the drone when towing), Egr blocked and turned off, trans-go shift kit Jr, Edge Cs 85100 for reading data, PPE FPRV race plug, more Mod's to come when cash is in my bank account!
post #10 of 203 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 12:46 PM

Garage
I've been noticing odd shifting and clunking that seems to be either trans related or it almost feels like its pulling power before the shifts. Its hard to tell. It's definatly worst under light/normal acceleration (which is how i plan on driving it the rest of its life). If you get on the throttle harder, it shifts much better.. and also seems to smooth itself out for a little while after.

I'm sure alot of the issue is in tuning and calibration from the factory. It is a completely different motor and if they haven't gotten it perfect with how it works with the same Allison we've all had before, then i hope they can get some TSB's and re-calibrations out to the dealers very soon. I;ll be keeping my ear out to see if they make anything available because I'll be one of the first in line back at the dealer.

2017 GMC 3500 L5P Denali DRW
DF DRW Club Member #132
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode