OnStar Reads Thrown Code vs Edge - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2017+ L5P Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

OnStar Reads Thrown Code vs Edge

Yesterday, I just commissioned my OnStar setting up a username/PW on their website and even tied it all into the myChevrolet app. I was browsing around my OnStar web site account and came across the Advanced Diagnostics page. It told me that I had an issue with the "engine & transmission system" and to call them via the blue button. The end result of the call was that they told me I had a code P01DA thrown; crap! Didn't even and still don't have a CEL but OnStar caught a code...

While working with OnStar sitting in my truck running, they ran a check from their facility. At first it wouldn't communicate. When asked if I had any other "devices", I stated I had an Edge CTS2 plugged into the OBDII. For them to successfully run their diagnostics, I had to unplug the CTS2; interesting...

I've researched the code and found that it has something to do with injector timing tests failing or something like that. After plugging the CTS2 back in, I ran diagnostics and sure enough it read the same code. But here again, no CEL. Any reason for not having a CEL?

Does anyone have any suggestions other than take it back to the dealership for them to run tests or somewhat similar experiences with this specific code?

'17 3500HD LT 4WD RC LB DRW, Edge CTS2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 05:09 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to ob_1jr
I have nothing for you...if it were me, I would be taking it back to the dealer. You have a brand new truck. i would make sure it is good to go before possibly getting stranded in the future. If OnStar and your CTS2 finds the code, it is a hard fail...maybe that DTC doesn't illuminate a CEL? Maybe you need something else to trip.

2016 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali
Extang Blackmax Tonneau
Weathertech floor mats and mud flaps
X-pel clear bra
295/60-20 Toyo Open Country A/T II

SOLD 2004 GMC Sierra LB7
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 06:22 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Single event errors will set a soft code with no cel. I'm surprised the cts2 even pulled it

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

'15 Chevy ccsb wt wehrli | motorops | xd | nitto | atta | curt | tork lift | airlift | edge | s&b |
Bought 11/21/14 72 mi
01/01/16 177685
'03 cc lb drw bd intake, intake horn mod, dsp5, 4" silverline turbo back, d-celerator exhaust brake, amsoil bypass, amsoil synthetics throughout, 225/70 19.5, 1/3 drop, oil cooler
Traded at 299,465

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfaucett View Post
Single event errors will set a soft code with no cel. I'm surprised the cts2 even pulled it

That's interesting to know. I bit more details here; the first time I tried to use the CTS2, it stated no codes found. Then just for fun, I used the Clear DTC function and then read for codes again and that's when it came up the same code as what the OnStar folks told me; P01DA.

Our you surprised that a single event code would be picked up by OnStar?

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 06:53 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourcecal View Post
That's interesting to know. I bit more details here; the first time I tried to use the CTS2, it stated no codes found. Then just for fun, I used the Clear DTC function and then read for codes again and that's when it came up the same code as what the OnStar folks told me; P01DA.

Our you surprised that a single event code would be picked up by OnStar?
I've never used on star to pull codes but with all the diagnostics they can access it doesn't surprise me

'15 Chevy ccsb wt wehrli | motorops | xd | nitto | atta | curt | tork lift | airlift | edge | s&b |
Bought 11/21/14 72 mi
01/01/16 177685
'03 cc lb drw bd intake, intake horn mod, dsp5, 4" silverline turbo back, d-celerator exhaust brake, amsoil bypass, amsoil synthetics throughout, 225/70 19.5, 1/3 drop, oil cooler
Traded at 299,465
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

I found this write up on the other diesel forum:

DTC P01CC, P01CE, P01D0, P01D2, P01D4, P01D6, P01D8, P01DA, P01CB, P01CD, P01CF, P01D1, P01D3, P01D5, P01D7, or P01D9

DTC Descriptors
DTC P01CC
Cylinder 1 Injection Timing Advanced
DTC P01CE
Cylinder 2 Injection Timing Advanced
DTC P01D0
Cylinder 3 Injection Timing Advanced
DTC P01D2
Cylinder 4 Injection Timing Advanced
DTC P01D4
Cylinder 5 Injection Timing Advanced
DTC P01D6
Cylinder 6 Injection Timing Advanced
DTC P01D8
Cylinder 7 Injection Timing Advanced
DTC P01DA
Cylinder 8 Injection Timing Advanced
DTC P01CB
Cylinder 1 Injection Timing Retarded

The engine control module (ECM) has the ability to learn injector timing performance. With the engine at operating temperature and in closed throttle decel mode, the ECM will pulse each injector individually and measure the changes in rotational speed of the crankshaft using the input from the crankshaft position sensor (CPS). The ECM will run this diagnostic at one fuel rail pressure operating point for each injector. The ECM stores the injector timing value.

That's description of the codes
Here's the diagnoses

information.
Circuit/System Verification
Verify the proper fuel is used. Refer to Fuel System Specifications and Contaminants-in-Fuel Diagnosis.
Verify there are no aftermarket performance enhancing devices installed on the vehicle.
Perform the Fuel Injector Correction Reset for the appropriate fuel injector. Refer to Fuel Injector Correction Reset.
Perform the Crankshaft Position Reluctor Wheel Learn. Refer to Crankshaft Position Reluctor Wheel Learn.
Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC to verify the DTC does not set. Refer to Fuel Injector Timing Learn.
If a DTC is set
Refer to Circuit/System Testing.
If a DTC is not set
6. All ok
Circuit/System Testing
Perform a engine compression test. Refer to Engine Compression Test.
If engine compression is not within specification
Repair as necessary.
If engine compression is within specification
Replace the appropriate Q17 fuel injector.

I wonder if GM considers the Edge CTS2 as simply a monitor to be a "...performance enhancing devices."? I already have another email into Edge tech support because of the issue with the CTS2 blocking the diagnostics from OnStar. I asked that they check with their engineers to see if the CTS2 would also interfere with the ECM performing the injector timing diagnostics.

Anyone else been down this road before?

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

I have come up with a very speculative theory that I would enjoy either support based on other's experiences or dismissal based on sound arguments/opinions.

There is another thread titled "2017 Tranny Issues..." where a number of folks have complained about a surge and also talked about a ticking noise in deceleration. The above DTC document states that an injector timing test is performed during deceleration where each injector is pulsed and a response is measured. What if the ticking noise are these pulses AND what if the pulse or injector itself "hangs" open too long. Wouldn't there be a surge in the engine because of the long pulse of fuel being injected into that cylinder?

About 1k miles ago, I experienced one single surge while slowing down with my foot off the accelerator. What if a "soft" code was thrown at that time and has been resident not to be discovered until OnStar did its diagnostics a few days ago.

My intuition tells me that the surge, ticking, and injector timing tests are all related but it would be nice to either prove or disprove this theory.

I just finished putting another 150 miles on the truck to support a client and still no CEL. The CTS2 still shows P01DA.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 12:29 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

The ticking/rattle is the injector test. That's a good theory but I don't think so. Mine surges frequently and I can't ever recall it doing a timing test at the same time. The other theory was tgat it's caused by regen but mine does it when not in regent. My bet is the surge is tcc related

Bought 11/21/14 72 mi
01/01/16 177685
Traded at 299,465
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfaucett View Post
The ticking/rattle is the injector test. That's a good theory but I don't think so. Mine surges frequently and I can't ever recall it doing a timing test at the same time. The other theory was tgat it's caused by regen but mine does it when not in regent. My bet is the surge is tcc related

The one time it happened to me was after the truck had dropped down into 1st gear because I was pulling slowly into a parking spot with my foot on the brake. Based on observing my CTS2, the tcc never locks up in 1st. The lowest gear I have ever seen lockup was 2nd.

BTW: I have had four regen's and it wasn't in regen at the only time it surged.

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

bfaucett:

A request for you: It would be interesting to have you use your OnStar and ask the "Advisor" to run a diagnostic check to see if you have any "soft" codes since your truck surges frequently. Unless your 2015 didn't come with OnStar...

Last edited by sourcecal; 05-10-2017 at 01:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode