New Truck Search - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2017+ L5P Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

New Truck Search

Starting to get my information together as I compare all (3) truck brands, I have been with Ford for all my trucks so far, I have had a '10 6.4 and the '13 6.7 for diesels, truck has been good to me but on my next one I want to look at all three and compare.

First question I have for you is what is the difference from GMC and Chevy, same engine, same transmission, is it just a body style or is there more?

I currently have an F250 crew cab short bed, looking at a 1 ton this time and possibly a long bed as I tow a 5th wheel. I use the Andersen Ultimate Hitch in my current truck and it has worked well, I did notice that the GMC has a shorter bed, not sure if that puts the trailer closer to the cab or not but I will have to find out.

I have seen Duramax has a new engine this year with a few bugs, I am sure bigger issues would be resolved by 2018 release.

Anyone made the jump over from Ford, what do you really like? What do you miss.

Appreciate any feedback, not trying to stir the pot, just get educated as I research.

Thanks

Leon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 07:42 AM
DuramaxForum Veteran

You can get a long or short bed. 6.5 or 8'.

Gmc/Chevy are the same truck. The differences are style, trim and packages.

The new engine has had very few bugs at this point. Some key differences have been made and it should with any hope be the most robust duramax yet in stock form.

Drive it, you'll be sold on the spot is my guess. The fords/rams just don't stack up imo.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 09:58 AM

I'm guessing you want to keep your hitch. Make sure you can find parts that mount it up to the GM frames. You want to go long bed but just in case you changed your mind and stuck with short bed you get a 34 gallon tank versus the 26 gallon one you have now. 26 gallons sucks for towing, BTDT. Most trailers these days have a cut out in the front to help with short bed clearance. I also have a slider but honestly I think I have used the slider only twice. I try to get drive thru sites because they are the nicer sites anyways.

I suppose you could call them bugs but I would say nothing more then that and probably good for a brand new engine and control system.

I would say that the better driving truck is the GM. Nobody needs solid axles unless you really need them and it isn't like they are not costly to repair either. Big reason why I stick with GM.

Good luck in your search!

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 10:18 AM

I've been comparing the GM and Ford products too. I'm on my second Duramax and have been very pleased with them.
I like the looks and features of the new Ford a bit better, but given that the truck is all new, they seem to be having some issues with water leaks and electrical problems. Ford's warranty support is still weak (I owned a 99 Ford and it doesn't seem like anything has changed) compared to GM. The Ford still uses the Bosch CP4.2 pump whereas GM has moved to a Denso fuel system.
As others have said, the differences between the Chevy and GM are mainly trim and packaging. Study the ordering info carefully if you are looking for a particular combination of features as there are some differences. For example on the top trims (Denali and High Country), you can only get the Z71 package on the GMC.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBreeze View Post
I'm guessing you want to keep your hitch. Make sure you can find parts that mount it up to the GM frames. You want to go long bed but just in case you changed your mind and stuck with short bed you get a 34 gallon tank versus the 26 gallon one you have now. 26 gallons sucks for towing, BTDT. Most trailers these days have a cut out in the front to help with short bed clearance. I also have a slider but honestly I think I have used the slider only twice. I try to get drive thru sites because they are the nicer sites anyways.

I suppose you could call them bugs but I would say nothing more then that and probably good for a brand new engine and control system.

I would say that the better driving truck is the GM. Nobody needs solid axles unless you really need them and it isn't like they are not costly to repair either. Big reason why I stick with GM.

Good luck in your search!
My hitch attaches to the gooseneck ball, so pretty universal. Anyone use the factory gooseneck hitch from GM?

I currently use the Blue Ox version which is all accessed from the bed verses underneath.

As for the gas tank I switched mine out for a Titan 45 gallon, I agree, a small tank is useless when you are towing.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 04:06 PM

The GM's use a round receiver for the goosekneck pin/ball which might require you to buy a new one from Curt. Other than that should be good on that front as long as you get the goosekneck/5 wheel pkg.

2015 Chevrolet LTZ, KD Spy wheels, BAK rolling hard tonneau, Nav, heated/cooled seats, chrome pkg, leather, sun/moon roof, driver assist, adjustable pedals.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Does anyone have a 2017 that they could give me the measurement from the cab side of the bed to the center of the gooseneck connection on a standard bed?

Ford is at 36"
Ram is at 34 - 3/4"
Chevy or GMC is at ??

I will see if anyone has one with factory set up tomorrow, but the search feature online doesn't let me search for that at the dealers.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 02:11 AM
DuramaxForum n00b

I made the move from the Fords to GMC a few weeks ago. I traded in a 2010 F350 that was H&S tuned from 3000 miles until I traded it with 119k miles. I only ran the truck in the +300hp (hot dam) setting and it never ever gave me a bit of trouble, and was fast as hell. Unfortunately, the truck started falling apart around the powertrain and became unreliable so it had to go. I loved that truck, but it had it's annoyances as well (humming blend doors, back up assist stopped working early on). When I compared a new F350 Platinum to the 3500 Denali, I just couldn't justify the extra coin that Ford has priced into their truck. Sticker on the Ford was approaching 80K, and the loaded up Denali was 73K. Bottom line was the GMC dealer wanted to sell me their truck more than the Ford dealer. The few things that have popped up that annoy me about the Denali is not having the remote buttons on the key. Why in the world do I have to have both the key and the key fob in this day and age? Also, I was limited on the tire size from what fits on the Ford (although I was warned about this before I bought the truck). There are a few user interface things that I don't like as well, (the way the nav unit stores addresses, not being able to automaticlly have the fog lights on when the headlights come on, the Appleplay interface is cartoonish...). Anyhow, I love this truck. The power is adequate for me without having to tune it. My truck does have the factory 5th wheel hitch installed (I'll never use it). I'll try to get a measurement later today for you...
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedynoguy View Post
I made the move from the Fords to GMC a few weeks ago. I traded in a 2010 F350 that was H&S tuned from 3000 miles until I traded it with 119k miles. I only ran the truck in the +300hp (hot dam) setting and it never ever gave me a bit of trouble, and was fast as hell. Unfortunately, the truck started falling apart around the powertrain and became unreliable so it had to go. I loved that truck, but it had it's annoyances as well (humming blend doors, back up assist stopped working early on). When I compared a new F350 Platinum to the 3500 Denali, I just couldn't justify the extra coin that Ford has priced into their truck. Sticker on the Ford was approaching 80K, and the loaded up Denali was 73K. Bottom line was the GMC dealer wanted to sell me their truck more than the Ford dealer. The few things that have popped up that annoy me about the Denali is not having the remote buttons on the key. Why in the world do I have to have both the key and the key fob in this day and age? Also, I was limited on the tire size from what fits on the Ford (although I was warned about this before I bought the truck). There are a few user interface things that I don't like as well, (the way the nav unit stores addresses, not being able to automaticlly have the fog lights on when the headlights come on, the Appleplay interface is cartoonish...). Anyhow, I love this truck. The power is adequate for me without having to tune it. My truck does have the factory 5th wheel hitch installed (I'll never use it). I'll try to get a measurement later today for you...
If you could get a measurement that would be great, I can't find a standard bed anywhere in Las Vegas in the 3500 Chevy or GMC. If I can find one in 2500 I would think the measurement would be the same, I will try that next.

Thanks
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lconnally View Post
If you could get a measurement that would be great, I can't find a standard bed anywhere in Las Vegas in the 3500 Chevy or GMC. If I can find one in 2500 I would think the measurement would be the same, I will try that next.

Thanks
You can actually go to a lot and see the dimples in the bed where you would drill for the gooseneck and for that matter some rails. It has to have no spray on liner or the factory spray on liner. If it is after market they cover it up pretty good. I'll check mine for you in the morning. The hitch thing is always a bummer trying to figure out. I kept mine from the old truck and it works fine but hell if I know why Reese didn't use the bolt holes already in the truck frame.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode