Need help ASAP.. 2017 duramax vs powerstroke - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2017 and up (Non Powertrain) Discussion of 2017+ topics not related to powertrain

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Need help ASAP.. 2017 duramax vs powerstroke

I have a 2015.5 Denali duramax that I have really liked except it just hasn't had enough punch for me with the 6" lift and 35's. I need a tax right off for my business this year so I'm getting a new truck. My truck sold surprisingly quick and now I have to make a quick decision on my new ride. I've gotten some advice on the ford forum but of course they are very biased. So whats everyone's opinions on the new ford vs the new Dmax?? With the new motor on the GMC it makes me a little nervous, where the powerstroke is quite proven. The frame and axles on the ford are more robust for sure but I don't tow much at all. The I will be lifting either one I get with 37's. I do like the Denali grill more than the new ford. Anyways I look forward to your guys opinions on these trucks. Thanks in advance for any input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 05:05 AM

The Ford is a stout platform, and I wrestled with this before buying my Duramax- although I bought the less powerful '16. My brother in-law picked up a '17 F350 Lariat Diesel- loaded- this past weekend. It is a nice truck for sure, but the interior styling feels 'bulky' to me and was not to my liking. I think the grill and headlights are horrendous especially with the myriad of LEDs on the Lariat- but that's not my thing either. The body doesn't have as nice lines as the GM product and looks more like a work truck.

The latest iteration of the Powerstroke is a beast and proven to be reliable to this point. The solid axle suspension is more robust out of the box and easier to lift albeit at a similar cost for similar quality suspension system. The Ford is a good truck without question.

FYI- this is from a guy who owns two Early Ford Broncos, has always driven a Ford truck and just got out of an F250 to jump into the Duramax...

The reason I went with the '16 D-Max... proven platform, I didn't need the 150+ more torque by any of the big three and of all the trucks, the GM styling (inside and out) was just nicer in my opinion (I went with the High Country). The year end and leftover model discounts were also a nice incentive. GM has come a long way- prior to the 15/16 model years, I was not a fan of GMs styling with exception of the Tahoes (my wife is on her third). Being an engineer and having worked in the suspension industry at one time, I have never been a big fan of the IFS- with some mods it will work for my needs.

The unproven nature of the L5P is the only concern I would have... but I would probably stay with the GM product (either GMC or Chevy) on the '17 designs. Good luck either way.
audiomixer likes this.

2016 Silverado 2500HD High Country Duramax
Totally stock, for now.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 06:01 AM

I just put 1.000 miles on my 17 and its a great truck. Came out of a 16 for the new motor. It's high and day difference. Truck is very quite inside

2008 GMC 2500 EXSB SLT Duramax 6 Spd Allison 4X4

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 06:57 AM

I'd probably buy the Ford if I were you. More room in the cab and more creature comforts. Not to mention air vents in the back seat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015 2500 HD LTZ
Cranked keys w/ Bilstein 5100s
Toyo M/T 275/65/20
Windshield tinted 35%
fronts 20%
and rears are 2%
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Ram View Post
The Ford is a stout platform, and I wrestled with this before buying my Duramax- although I bought the less powerful '16. My brother in-law picked up a '17 F350 Lariat Diesel- loaded- this past weekend. It is a nice truck for sure, but the interior styling feels 'bulky' to me and was not to my liking. I think the grill and headlights are horrendous especially with the myriad of LEDs on the Lariat- but that's not my thing either. The body doesn't have as nice lines as the GM product and looks more like a work truck.

The latest iteration of the Powerstroke is a beast and proven to be reliable to this point. The solid axle suspension is more robust out of the box and easier to lift albeit at a similar cost for similar quality suspension system. The Ford is a good truck without question.

FYI- this is from a guy who owns two Early Ford Broncos, has always driven a Ford truck and just got out of an F250 to jump into the Duramax...

The reason I went with the '16 D-Max... proven platform, I didn't need the 150+ more torque by any of the big three and of all the trucks, the GM styling (inside and out) was just nicer in my opinion (I went with the High Country). The year end and leftover model discounts were also a nice incentive. GM has come a long way- prior to the 15/16 model years, I was not a fan of GMs styling with exception of the Tahoes (my wife is on her third). Being an engineer and having worked in the suspension industry at one time, I have never been a big fan of the IFS- with some mods it will work for my needs.

The unproven nature of the L5P is the only concern I would have... but I would probably stay with the GM product (either GMC or Chevy) on the '17 designs. Good luck either way.
^^Exactly! I too drove the '17 powerstroke and I was thoroughly impressed with that engine. It rode and handled great. The interior has had a facelift from the '16, but is just not to my liking either. Yes, bulky discribes it. It was even taller than the '16 duramax I bought. Found a '16 built as if I had ordered it and got an excellent deal on it. I wanted a proven platform and don't really need the hp increase of the '17. I want to see how the L5P does before I jump on that ship.

Chevrolet '16 2500HD 4WD LTZ CC D/A LML Deep Ocean Blue, HID lighting, otherwise stock.
GMC '04 2500HD SLE CC D/A LB7 SB Summit White, LineX, Nicktane, JK headlight harness, JK fuel pump and harness, Banks exhaust, EFI Live, intake horn mod, Suncoast 6 speed conversion.
VW '01 Bug TDI 6 spd ERF manual, 11mm IP, DLC 520 injectors, Malone stage 2 tuning. My FUN summer driver.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade_660 View Post
I'd probably buy the Ford if I were you. More room in the cab and more creature comforts. Not to mention air vents in the back seat

Is this sarcasm?

Surely you wouldn't let the absence of air vents in the backseat of a heavy duty truck determine which truck you wanted to buy.

To the OP: I had an LML before this, and this LP5 is a completely different beast. 500 miles on it and I can't stop smiling. Ride is great and more than enough power is always there when you need it. No dead peddle like on the LML.
bwarren likes this.

2017 Mineral Metallic Denali L5P
2015 AT Sierra 1500 6.2L: sold
2011 2500HD LML LTZ Z71 CCSB: sold

Last edited by 4x4_cc; 01-10-2017 at 08:39 AM.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 08:53 AM

When paying 60+ thousand dollars for a truck (heavy duty makes no difference) details matter, especially when the competition offers what you're lacking. I have a 15.5 ltz duramax that I like ok, but the new rams and fords have more options. It depends on what you want I guess. I like the drivetrain and looks of mine better, but they have things that gm doesn't offer. (I.e backup camera in 3rd brake light, puddle lights, 5th wheel hookup without rails, more rear seat space, air conditioned seats that actually blow cold air)

2015 2500 HD LTZ
Cranked keys w/ Bilstein 5100s
Toyo M/T 275/65/20
Windshield tinted 35%
fronts 20%
and rears are 2%
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 09:54 AM

Garage
My friend is a Ford Diesel mechanic and has been for 15 years. I asked him what i should buy when i was looking at trucks his advice was this: if you want a Ford F250, get a 6.2l gas one. They are bulletproof trucks. He has personally replaced 15- 6.7l Powerstrokes since 2011. Not to mention the numerous fuel pumps and turbos. He said if you want a diesel, get a duramax or Ram/ Cummins. The GM will ride better and has better transmission. The Ram has a great engine, but a weak front end. Take your pick...

~the Captain

2016 Chevy 2500Hd, PPEI tuned, CAT back exhaust, 2.5" Zone Level Kit, Moto Metal 970 wheels/Nitto Terra Grapler G2's, Custom Cab lights, LED Fogs, Resonator deleted

2016 Chevy 2500HD Duramax with EFI Live PPEI, 2" Zone Level Kit, Moto Metal 970 wheels, Nitto Terra Grappler G2 305 65r 18 Tires, Tinted LED Tails, Custom interior lighting.

Last edited by Bigpuddie; 01-10-2017 at 03:43 PM.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 10:57 AM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade_660 View Post
When paying 60+ thousand dollars for a truck (heavy duty makes no difference) details matter, especially when the competition offers what you're lacking. I have a 15.5 ltz duramax that I like ok, but the new rams and fords have more options. It depends on what you want I guess. I like the drivetrain and looks of mine better, but they have things that gm doesn't offer. (I.e backup camera in 3rd brake light, puddle lights, 5th wheel hookup without rails, more rear seat space, air conditioned seats that actually blow cold air)

The new GM's have more options to. You're not comparing apples to apples.

2016 Sierra HD Trailering Camera System - GMC Life

Article shows current camera and 5th wheel prep options.

2011 GMC 2500 LML CCSB 4x4 SLT
sold 2010 GMC 2500 LMM CCSB 4x4 SLT
sold 2004.5 GMC 2500 LLY ECLB 4x4 SLE
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 01:41 PM

I may be biased cause iv been a BOW TIE TILL I DIE kinda, yes i have owned fords, still own a 72 bronco, i had an 04 Lightning, i had a 7.3 with over 400,000 miles on it, im on my 2nd LBZ, and now waiting on my new L5P. But to me there is a reason chevy is still running a 6.6 duramax, why change platforms when you can improve on what you already have. Yes it is a bummer that the rear seats dont have venta on the back of the center console, not a deal breaker beacuse they still get air flow from the vent under the seat. Yes its a bummer no heated seats for the rear seats, but when will i be sitting in the back, 90% of the time it will be my kids in car seats anyways, even if i had the option it would get used for another 3 to 4 years when one of them could sit on the actual seat. And i do believe gm has the 5th wheel and gooseneck hitch prep package that has not rail system in the bed for the curt hitches. The chevy/gm ride will always be better then the straight axle of ford and ram, i would rather replace smalled cheaper parts on the IFS system then have to shell out 3 grand every time the ram needs front end work, and never get the death wobble either. But that is my opinion, and i am BOW TIE TILL I DIE and that is why I ordered the truck that i ordered
Dmax affair likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode