egr block off plate for 6.5? get rid of check engine light too? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2010, 05:34 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

egr block off plate for 6.5? get rid of check engine light too?

egr valves bad in my old 6.5, i'm not payin 180 bucks for a new one, is there a block off plate available, and can i get the check engine light to go off? thanks everyone

1995 1500 silverado 6.5 td 4" magnaflow exhaust, triple pillar gauges, bullydog, b&m transpak
chad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2010, 05:34 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

help..........anyone??????

1995 1500 silverado 6.5 td 4" magnaflow exhaust, triple pillar gauges, bullydog, b&m transpak
Old 04-15-2010, 05:54 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

Check over at SixFiveTurboDiesel.com - Powered by vBulletin . If they can't find it it ain't out there. SSDiesel doesn't seem to have them, heath diesel might. I can ask for you if you aren't a member. I've never had to look into it, I don't have an EGR on mine.

EFI Live by IdahoRob at ATP
ZiGBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2010, 06:13 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

i'm not a member, so any help appreciated. thanks!!!!!

Old 04-15-2010, 07:23 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

I asked, might take a few days to get a response, there are not as many people on that site. You can go there and check the post if you want.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:58 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

Well if you pull off your egr valve and your upper intake you can put in a frost plug ( i think its 45mm or 1 3/4" ) . It may be a little loose in the hole, but i used exhaust cement and cemented it in. That way you can put your EGR back on, plugged in, and the computer will think it is working properly. You could also get an "F" EEPROM, then the ECM is not searching for an egr.

While you have the upper intake off you can also gut the extra casting out of the upper intake, and clean all the soot your egr left in there (its alot).
I have done this to every 6.5 i have owned, probably about 35 of them. My current truck is my first dmax, but my specialty is 6.5's-6.2's-5.9 12v cummins. If you have any questions about 6.5's just ask.
Greg

Last edited by rigpig; 04-15-2010 at 09:02 PM.
rigpig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2010, 05:37 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigpig View Post
Well if you pull off your egr valve and your upper intake you can put in a frost plug ( i think its 45mm or 1 3/4" ) . It may be a little loose in the hole, but i used exhaust cement and cemented it in. That way you can put your EGR back on, plugged in, and the computer will think it is working properly. You could also get an "F" EEPROM, then the ECM is not searching for an egr.

While you have the upper intake off you can also gut the extra casting out of the upper intake, and clean all the soot your egr left in there (its alot).
I have done this to every 6.5 i have owned, probably about 35 of them. My current truck is my first dmax, but my specialty is 6.5's-6.2's-5.9 12v cummins. If you have any questions about 6.5's just ask.
Greg
thanks!!!!!!!! i have 1 of each now, like both of them for different reasons. i'm sure i'll have some more questions, thanks again, chad

Old 04-16-2010, 05:53 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

I was going to say, you could just get an intake for a 1-ton, vin F. They are out there, don't know how hard to find, but couldn't be too expensive. Expensive chip would be the only code fix I know of. Or try the plug, it would still need a good EGR valve to be plugged in and would still set a code every once in a while.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:58 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

They just reminded me that the EGR is just controlled by vacuum. If it isn't leaking just unplug the hose and plug it. If it is leaking cut a plate of steel to fit, and drill a couple holes. Get a prom for a vin F or order a HP increase chip from SSDiesel to stop the Check Engine light.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:54 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

actually if you are going to cut out a plate to block it, use some 3/8 or 1/4 inch aluminum. It is easier to machine and it wont react to the cast aluminum intake like steel will. I would just get a F eeprom from someone, or a chip from wester's garage, to get rid of the light.
You could get a shorter belt and remove the vac pump as well, but only if you are programmed to 3/4 ton spec, as the F ecm is not looking for egr nor vacuum. It's a really good mod, you free up some hp, you eliminate a failure-prone vac pump, improve mileage, and your engine is a little quieter.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.