Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

can i get a d-max intercooler on a 6.5

5K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  John O 
#1 ·
im in the process of pickin up a 6.5 diesel, im not really going to mod the truck other than the harmonic balancer, and instant heat gp's and a new gp controller. its a 93 so i dont have to do the pmd. but i was wondering if i can modify it to do a dmax intercooler, if anyone has done it let me know. thanks:rockin

#2 ·
Do some research on the net and I am sure you can find an inter cooler for this rig. I don't know about using a dmax cooler, I would guess that it would be overkill anyhow.

#4 ·
You would have to modify it but I'm sure it can be done.

#6 ·
The hassle vs. horsepower gain may not be worth it imo, but its your truck, time, and money.

#7 ·
any intercooler that would work and not completely burn a hole in my pocket, what would i have to do to pipe it

#9 ·
It can be done. I'm swapping a dmax into my 97, fitting the ic just needed some cutting on the rad support, but you would need to use the dmax radiator and fan shroud the way mine is set up. Not really an issue, they are almost the same, I think the air bleed off to the surge tank is in a different position. Just $$

I forgot to take pics when I did it, and its all bolted up, sorry.

#11 ·
If thats the case you modded the Rad support harder than I did. I only cut out two pieces, mounted the IC where the rad was, just cut to fit width wise, and the rad was mounted on the IC. I have 1 in between the fan and the rad, just enough to get the fan off without taking the rad and IC out.

Honestly, I'd be interested to see how you did yours. I went with the easiest route possible for my setup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.