Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

replacing cv axle

35K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Chevrolet3500HD 
#1 ·
okay guys just snapped my first axle so im gonna order one but im wondering how hard they are to replace.

#2 ·
also im supposed to have my truck in a parade for the fourth of july could i just pull the broken axle out and just drive in it 2wd until i get the new one?

#7 ·
From talking to GM mechanics, the bearing in the 4wd is not rolled like it is on the 2wd. You need the shaft in there to keep the bearing from tearing up.

Now with that being said, cut the boot off the old one "outer" and clean all the grease out. You will see a clip that will allow the outer part of the shaft to separate from the rest of the CV. Then you can stick the splined stub shaft back in and put the 36mm nut back on. You will be a 2wd, but will not destroy the bearing.

I actually kept my 2 cv's when I got new ones, and took the outside stub shaft off. That way when I go on long "1kmiles plus" trips I can stick them in and get a little better mpg's. Like the others said, they come off easy.

PS: I pull the sway-bar end link's "I do both at the same time" to allow getting the CV shaft's in easier:drink

#3 ·
You'll need a 36mm socket (think that's the size) and an impact gun, from there it's just the 6 bolts that hold the axle to the diff, and you pull it out. You'll have to undo the lower spindle boot from the LCA.

#4 ·
I was able to change a CV axle without removing the lower spindle. YOu will need a prybar(the one I used was like 4-5') to manipulate the swaybar in the front, but it will come out....at least it did for me.

#14 ·
I was able to change a CVU axle without removing the lower spindle. YOu will need a prybar(the one I used was like 4-5') to manipulate the swaybar in the front, but it will come out....at least it did for me.
I also did this earlier today. I was surprised when i remove the lower spindle. But one thing is that i did not use the prybar. but still it worked on me.

#6 ·
i didnt have any problems and mine out once it was on bolted... just gotta wease it around

#8 ·
Okay guys it broke right where it bolts to the diff the actual housing that has the 6 bolts going through it is cracked what do i do

#11 ·
does the part that bolts back up to the diff using 6 bolts come with the new cv shaft or do u have to reuse it

#12 ·
See the silver spacer... (part of my lift) those are the 6 bolts that come out...

the nut is the thing you see when you pry the dust cover off the hub.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.