Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

How Heavy Do You Pull With Your 2500?

75K views 203 replies 70 participants last post by  rock4xfab 
#1 ·
So Im in the market for a 5th wheel toy hauler and the smallest I could find is the Raptor 300MP which has a dry weight of 13400 and a pin weight of 2600. My 2008 is rated at 13600 and a pin weight of 2800. Im not going to haul any toys. I got air bags already and Im looking to install a tuner with an exhaust break.

So how heavy have you towed to where you can say you felt safe and comfortable.

#2 ·
There is a picture thread in the towing section with some 3/4 tons pulling a few big trailers. Not sure the specs. Ive got a 6000lb TT, so no help here.

#3 ·
Towing power is never an issue. Pin weight is concern with 2500.

#4 ·
Well very FEW ever tow at rated dry weight. Your 2500 is only rated for 200lbs over dry weight? I say you are asking for trouble with that much weight. It's not the power, but brakes, suspension, stability, oh yes that legality issue.

Now my next question is, If you are never going to haul toys, why buy a toy hauler? If you insist on hauling that much trailer, sell the 2500 and get a 3500, problem solved.

#5 ·
For the record, when I bought my 2500, I decided to stick well under the tow rating. My trailer is rated 12,700 GVWR and it's usually towed under 12K, usually closer to 11. Just came home from Wishon Village campground, north of Shaver Lake at 7,000ft elevation. The climb up on the way to it, and subsequent decent on the way home involves a 10 mile grade as steep as 11% at times, and the truck handled it with aplomb. I was holding 47 MPH on the way up at 1200 deg EGT's at 2200-2300 RPM.

#7 ·
I see no problem with a 2500 as long as you are within limits of your axle and tires. Also pin weight on campers is always more than advertised. There is also a huge storage forward the axles on a 5ther.

#8 ·
Heaviest I pull I'd say is around 15-16k, double anhydrous tanks. Only pull the tanks a couple times tho. And I don't normally go over 25 to 30 mph. Then I'll pull a mini sometimes and I think total it and the trailer is around 10k to 12k. Maybe a bit more. These are never long distances tho and the truck never has a problem.

#9 ·
15k off the bumper with over 2k on the hitch (pintle) and 14k actual weight fifth wheel with about 2500 pin

#12 ·
I have grossed 24k towing a 40' weekend warrior toyhauler years ago with my crew cab LBZ on 33's. It needed 80psi in the bags to level it out, pin weight for the trailer was 3100lbs. had 6300lbs on the rear axle.

It towed it, but I would rather tow that kind of weight with a dually, much more stable. I was worried about blowing a tire and parting my shit out on the freeway. It needed more help stopping than pulling. I was also over my GVWR, axle gross on rear, and towing load.

#13 ·
You can overload a dually also. We are slightly overloaded. Our 5ther is 20kish and pin is rather high, just shy of 6k. And yes, an HDT is in the near future.

#14 ·
That pin weight is ridiculous man. Thats around 30%

#21 ·
We are full time so everything we own is in 5ther. That accounts for some. It would surprise you to find what many pin weights are. If people would go to the cat scales they would find out. All your storage goes up front.

#15 · (Edited)
13000 for me with a lifted 2500 on 35's plus it has aftermarket steel bumpers front and rear and a big warn 15m winch in the front bumper so there is a lot of weight there.

#19 ·
Its not illegal if the vehicle is registered at that weight and it doesn't exceed component limits

#17 ·
With my 2500 truck weighing in at 8300 with me, tools, and 110 gallons of fuel @ highway speeds I put my limit a 14,000 pound trailer. I prefer to be under 11k. Air bags do help.

#18 ·
I pull an Attitude 28SAG 5er Toyhauler that is 9Klb dry and 12k lb GVWR. Pin weight is 2Klb dry. It feels like a perfect match for my 3/4 ton and I don't have to run airbags. Never a white knuckle moment with trailer in tow.

#23 ·
Yes, and then you fill the closet, front of wheels, the dresser drawers, front of wheels. All your storage, in front of wheels. It adds up fast.

#24 ·
What's your dry and gvw

#25 ·
Teton is good for 24k. 3 8k axles. Truck is just shy of 10k rating and I am just over 10k. That is why I getting HDT

#26 ·
2015 Denali 2500hd pulling a 2016 sandpiper 371REBH 43'.

Manufacturer says 13300 dry and 2000 pin. GVWR is 15500.

This was coming back from Myrtle Beach full of water, generator in the box, full of fuel and passengers etc...

Text Menu Document Font Paper

Truck is rated for 24,500 GCWR but I am over my GVWR. 10.5mpg @ 65-70mph and pulls like a dream.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#27 ·
Mine pulls fine. It is the mountains that concerns me, coming down. Also running over stress parts. How much is anyone guess. As stated earlier, towing is no problem for these diesels. Stopping maybe if trailer brakes fail. Coming down a mountain is no fun overloaded. To the OP say within tire ratings and you should be fine. Believe me though, these trucks don't stop good with it overloaded and trailer brakes fail. All it takes is one twig to bet in brake wires.

#28 ·
Stopping is always the problem. The testing standards for towing capacity don't address it properly imo

#29 ·
LML Dually with 42ft 5er at 16000 plus 60 gallons of fuel in the aux tank in the bed plus a load of firewood.

Airbags with 30-50lbs in them and judicious use of the exhaust brake

puts me tickling 25k gross

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.