wont start fuel lines - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
911 Problems Forum Truck won't start or drive? Post here!

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2011, 05:48 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

wont start fuel lines

i was quoted $3200 to fix my (fuel cooler, all new lines from the tank to the front). there has to be an easier and cheaper way to fix it. im being told the quick connect fittings are only made by GM so thats why they are so much money. if anybody has any advice as to what i should do please chime in or send me a pm.

ps the truck wont even start unless primed but only runs for about 5-10 seconds

the truck is a 2003
Cornish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2011, 06:17 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Here some info-- the supply line is 1/2 inch the return is 3/8--
#PIP4526: Diesel Engine Fuel Line Repairs - keywords DTC hose kink loss P0087 P0093 P1093 pipe power reduced repair restrict restriction SES suction supply vacuum - (Nov 7, 2008)

Subject: Diesel Engine Fuel Line Repairs

Models: 2001-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic

2001-2007 GMC Sierra Classic

2007-2009 Chevrolet Silverado

2007-2009 GMC Sierra

Equipped with the 6.6L Diesel Engine RPO codes LB7 LBZ LLY LMM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
A dealer may need to perform a repair on the rubber portion of the fuel supply (suction) lines. The rubber section of the line could become kinked or collapse. Fuel lines that kink or collapse may induce a fuel system restriction (high vacuum gauge readings) or DTCs P0087, P0093, and/or P1093 to set.

If a technician was to suspect the rubber portion of the fuel feed line collapsing or kinking, replacement of only the rubber line is acceptable.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Complete the steps below to repair the rubber section of fuel supply line:

Carefully cut, split, and remove the OEM crimp from both ends of the flexible hose. These crimps can be cut with a small cut-off wheel. Split the crimp into two pieces (use your discretion on first cut location, then cut directly across from, or 180 degrees from first cut). Special care must be taken not to damage the flare on the end of the steel pipe that will be reused.
Remove the OEM crimps and flexible portion of hose from the existing supply line.
If replacing the rubber section of the supply line, a 1/2 ID hose meeting SAE specification 100R3 is suggested. Dealers may be able to find a local supplier for this hose, or can contact the manufacturer Parker Hannifin. The replacement hose would be a 1/2" diameter Parker part number 601-8 or H017-8. To find a local distributor the Parker website can be accessed at Please wait while we redirect...
Use worm type hose clamps (use double clamps on each end) to attach the replacement hose to the existing pipe.
Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, de-badged, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.--- Jerry
jc1843 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2011, 06:36 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

That quote is way high...........while they are rather expensive, you are looking at maybe $1300 for everything with not too many hours of labor. I replaced these when I swapped my motor.
-85,000 miles / Built Trans/ Dunlop Fierce Attitude M/T 285/75/16 / EFI Live DSP5/ EDGE CTS Monitor/ MBRP 5" Stainless Exhaust / Intake Horn Mod / PPE Boost Valve / Black Projector Headlights/ Smoked Taillights/ 6000K H.I.D. Lows/ B&W Turn-Over-Ball
travis42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2011, 07:33 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

travis42 did you get all of your parts from the dealer?
Old 09-18-2011, 06:55 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

Yes I believe you have to get them from GM.......it sucks because they are super expensive. I think there are 3 lines and the fuel cooler. They may not bee as much as I said, but maybe installed.
-85,000 miles / Built Trans/ Dunlop Fierce Attitude M/T 285/75/16 / EFI Live DSP5/ EDGE CTS Monitor/ MBRP 5" Stainless Exhaust / Intake Horn Mod / PPE Boost Valve / Black Projector Headlights/ Smoked Taillights/ 6000K H.I.D. Lows/ B&W Turn-Over-Ball
travis42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2011, 08:06 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

i have a2002 gmc with a duramax truck the truck start rusabout 10 -15 seconds then stalls onece primed runs after that it runs great
bukshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2011, 08:59 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukshot View Post
i have a2002 gmc with a duramax truck the truck start rusabout 10 -15 seconds then stalls onece primed runs after that it runs great
You have a leak at the fuel filter housing-- most likely! Several supporting vendors have seal kits for the housing, and even new housings at reasonable prices.
Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, de-badged, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.--- Jerry
Old 09-27-2011, 11:05 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Could you tell menwhich vendors sell this filter seal kit or even the whole assembly
Old 09-27-2011, 11:08 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Alligator, Merchant Auto, Duramax store-! These guys support the Forum and have good prices. Do not buy the housing from GM--$$$$.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:14 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Ok guys I rebuilt my fuel filter head and still no go. It's doing the same thing as before (running for about 5-10 secs then dies). Any other suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.